Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Datsun 1600 Race build
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 pm 

Hi All. Been a work in progress for the last few years, though I better get it all documented.

As I bought the car 2 years ago. Ex rally, as you see it, balanced, mild cam and port, twin Su's, 5 speed, disk rear. Rough but relatively straight and it was running and reliable, $2500 seemed like a fair price for basically ready to race.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Had visions of getting it registered so I carpeted it, new roll padding, changed the seats, new harness, glove box etc. Also did a bit of mechanical work, new filters, strut brace, hydraulic hand brake cylinder, 14" rims and some road rubber.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

I then took it out for my first club day (Baskerville raceway Hobart). She performed superbly and I had a blast.

[ img ]

A few months later I competed in the Domain hill climb. Unfortunatelly I have no photos but you can see from the time sheet (car 15) that I nearly cracked the top 10 and there are some serious cars below me.

[ img ]

I then returned to Baskervill and competed in a Regularity event which I won with consistent 1:10:30. Some phootage below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRaVSMHshQ

Post 2 to follow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 pm 

I then decided that full race car was the go so I pulled out the interior that I had previously put in and started the paint process.

Back to bare metal (outside only) Spray putty.

[ img ]

Finally in the booth after 3 months of waiting.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Bolted it all back together.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

I then prepped the car for my first serious meet at the Baskerville Historics. Painted the wheels black, put some stripes and numbers on and went racing.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Had an absolute blast and the old girl got a few looks and comments as well.

I have just purchased a full weld in roll cage so I can get it log booked before the rule changes and hope to enter the Tas Super Series next year.

I will keep the updates a bit more regular in the future.

Cheers Julian.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 pm 

nice price and nice car! looking forward to any updates

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1966 Nissan Cedric Custom Six
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
1974 Toyota Landcruiser Stallion (SWB)
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:30 pm 

Something about a nice white paintjob that gets my jaw to drop, nice car :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:04 pm 

Fantastic mate. I tip my hat to you and your 1600 and taking it for a track blast and putting other cars to shame.
Hopefully you can find many answers to improving your little beast to make you even faster.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:05 pm 

Finally welding in a serious cage so I can step up to Improved production (not that the motor will up to that level) next year.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:23 am 

Hey mate nice work. I Have a question do you know the paint details from when it was in factory blue?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:02 am 

Hi, it was not factory blue, turns out it was a bottle green (photo of roll cage inside car will show the colour in the roof).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:30 pm 

Ok no worries cheers anyway. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:12 pm 

looks great man and love the historic theme you are keeping with the car, stick with the lseries!
are you doing that cage yourself? if possible could you please shed some more detail on what you have built or had built for that cage setup , im after something similar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:05 pm 

Hi Joe. Thanks for the comments, the group N class is not very big down in Tas so we have whats called Groun N & 'Invited' (invited cant get series points), invited cars have to keep the group N theme but dont necessarily confirm to the Group N spec's ie for the Datto I can run a L20B, bigger brakes, gear box, diff etc but no turbos/body kits etc etc. I planned on buying a basic Bond bolt in cage to meet min spec but got talked into the full weld in model (rally spec cage) from BOND, paid $1600 for the kit, welding is taking a long long time as my plumber is doing the welding for me and had no idea what he was taking on (not looking forward to his bill, I would assume its going to be $1000+ for his work alone). I have no idea if this was a good buy or not, seemed OK to me at the time so I went for it. Hopefully have the back legs and side intrusions finished on Sunday and getting it log booked next week as I believe Cams are changing the Cage rules next year (although there are a lot of opinions on what exactly the changes will be) and I though it best to get it done.

More photos on sunday night hopefully.

Plans are to build an L20B over the next 12 months wallet/wife depending.

Cheers Julian.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:58 pm 

Thanks Julian sounds like decent kit might have to look into asap , same deal here wife , empty wallet but slowy collecting over 2 years and almost there
The cage did it come with all plating , notching etc ? instruction on finishing?
Did you get harness mounts on bars aswell?
I assume it would require some trimming hopefully not too much , cant weld that good myself but got a really sweet mig setup and a few good welders that work for beer or peanuts , so the bond might be the best option for me to go with and just buy lots of beer. def cheapest and from the photos you have alot more bars from some of the quotes ive got for a"basic" cage

that invited part sounds like fun , i dont think ill ever be points chaser so to be able to just get out and among similar era cars and enjoy what the "now" old buggers did back then would be awsome , def need that here!
cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 pm 

All done and painted, paperwork signed and in the mail. Hopefully a log book arrives early next year :D

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/img0409vo.jpg/][ img ][/URL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:07 am 

Awesome work.

What are you using suspension wise?

:cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm 

Hi, currently running what car came with, I believe its 240k front struts with some cut down springs. Playing with twin carbies at the mo, when thats sorted I will start on suspension, possibly coil overs up front and a caster/camber kit for the back so i can get it a bit lower.

Cheers Julian.