Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 am 

compressor housing looks huge from the front but really thin from the side. From now on you shall be known as the turbo whisperer haha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:55 pm 

Hahaha yes it is quite large, I can not wait till I get to drive it. Unfortunately I only managed to get a few things done over the last month. I have rebuilt my steering box but its not 100% finished because I need a torque dial indicator to adjust the worm gear bearing preload properly. I mounted my datsport headlight wiring loom. I'm still deciding whether to run it through the front rail or just along the top of it.

[ img ]

I also mounted my remote oil filter too. It had to be mounted on the passenger side because there was no room on the drivers with the headlight loom and the angle of my inlet.

[ img ]

I'm also exploring the route of running a external oil pump. Not a full dry sump setup though.

[ img ]

Cheer's

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:02 pm 

I've been looking into LSD conversion's of late and spoken to a few members regarding it. I've decided to go with a S15 helical diff. It will bolt into my longnose R200 housing. Only thing that is required is shim's/bushes to swap over the for the longnose crown wheel to bolt onto the S15 diff centre. The longnose crown wheel bolts are 10mm diameter and the short nose are 12mm so the shims will have to go on the shank of the 10mm bolts to make them 12mm. I have heard SW motorsport sell these shim's/bushes but I haven't confirmed this yet its on the to do list hahaha.

Another thing I have been looking into are CV axles. I have some 280zx and S15 half shafts. I will use the S15 half shafts get them shortened and the 6 bolt 280zx flanges adapted at one end which will bolt up to the companion flanges. I bought some 280zx companion flanges that fit onto the stock 1600 axles. Which will make bolting up a breeze. Just need to measure it up once my good rear end is back in.

S15 diff housing
[ img ]

S15 centre pulled down
[ img ]

Longnose R200 diff pulled down. (I believe it is from a 280zx)
[ img ]

280zx half shafts up top, S15 half shafts on the bottom and S15 stub axles on the right.
[ img ]

280zx on the left, S15 half shafts on the right
[ img ]

280zx companion flange
[ img ]

A updated photo of the engine bay :) also fitted my datsport accelerator pedal
[ img ]

Cheers,

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:36 pm 

Man that turbo is gigantic those 280zx shafts look the same as dr30 shafts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:09 pm 

Hahaha the compressor housing does make it look massive from the front but its not over the top looks bigger than it is, it is thin from the side like Anth mentioned it should be fun once up and going though. I expect it to spool up nicely being twin scroll etc but I wont find out for a while hahaha. The DR30 half shafts might be the same I have no idea haha.

Cheers,

Richard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:15 pm 

I installed my fender mirrors today. I love them I can't wait till I get to drive this thing haha. I also installed the new front housing on my turbo I like the look better than the black one. Also got my dash stuff from japan recently so hopefully ill have the dash restored soon. I'm also looking into the electric's atm. Does any know where to get new flasher cans for the indicator's the one that bolts to the pedal box? Also what gauge wire I should use to remake a rear loom? (im just going to copy a old one). I was thinking jaycar might be a good bet to buy the wire from or can anyone recommend somewhere better?

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Cheers,

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:35 am 

Nice work mate, did you use the template image from Ratsun/The510Realm? Mine are still sitting in their box waiting to be fitted :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:47 pm 

Car is looking awesome dude. One thing, the late model R200 long nose actually come with 12mm crown wheel (so HR31, Z31 etc), early models as you have are 10mm (260/280z).

Just in case you have access to a late model diff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:21 pm 

Hey Anth yeah man i used that template really easy which reminds me i have to primer the holes lol. Get them on mate will look wicked. When i finally install mine for good i will spray the bottom spring area/threaded rod with WD40 or cover in antiseize because they rust so easliy.

[ img ]

Thanks Bozo510, still so much more work to do hahaha i am really enjoying the build though. Damn both R200 diffs i have are early haha. Good info though mate may have to keep an eye out lol.

I also picked up a built SR head on the weekend. Im staying hydraulic for now might go solid at a later date. The head should be good for around 8200-8300 RPM. It has brian crower Valves, Valve springs, retainers etc and stage 3 brian crower cams. The should SR sound wicked.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Cheers,

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:03 pm 

So I have rebuilt my wiper motor, cleaned the bushes up, rewired, and painted it low gloss black. I still need to connect a plug on the end of the loom but will do that at a later date once installed in the car haha. It was pretty easy I followed this guide.

http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com.au/20 ... build.html

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

The rebuild of the steering box is finished. I bought a rebuild kit from datsport. I followed the Datsun 1600 manual I have. The hardest part was accessing tooling to shim the worm gear drive bearing pre-load. Luckily at work I have some torque dial indictors so I was able to do it fairly easily. I used Penrite steering box lube because the SAE 90 oil leaks and weeps to much. Hopefully it will be a good lube for it and last a long time. I Painted it low gloss black also. I used engine enamel because it has more resistance to oils and chemicals.

[ img ]

[ img ]

I have also started work on my 71 model 1600. I will be starting a build thread on it soon. I am only doing a small restoration to get it back on the road, I need a working Datsun I'm having withdrawals lol. It will only have a stock L series in it, going to make it granny spec haha. Ill still be working on this hopefully I can progress both at the same time haha. Plan is to have the 71 on the road at the end of the year here's hoping.

Cheers,

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:35 pm 

Got some shims from SW motorsport for the longnose crown wheel to bolt up to the s15 short nose centre. They fit nicely. Stewart said that only every second hole needs the shims. I'm wondering what Loctite to use on the crown wheel bolts? I was thinking medium strength? I know high strength requires heat to be able to undo the bolt if required, seems a little excessive though. Next step will be making sure the gear teeth mesh properly and the pinion gear bearing is good. Can you still buy seals for long nose pinion and stub axle holes?

Crown wheel bolt comparison. 12mm short nose centre bolts and 10mm long nose bolt.
[ img ]

Shim installed.
[ img ]

Every second hole with shim as required.
[ img ]

Cheer's,

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:06 am 

butch510

Were did you get your fender mirrors from? They look great, I'm after the exact same but in matt black.

Last edited by JJ 510 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:22 am 

I think Richard is selling this car?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:09 pm 

Mirrors are still available from Nissan. Not sure about black version though. Selling off the performance gear and going L series I'm pretty sure

1974 B120

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:18 pm 

wormtail1 wrote:
Mirrors are still available from Nissan. Not sure about black version though. Selling off the performance gear and going L series I'm pretty sure
no worries thanks