Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: L24 to L24e
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:24 pm 

can i convert the original L24 from a 78 skyline from a carbie to efi from an 84 R30 L24e or do i have to change the engine 2?? if i can convert this will be my first time playing around with it so any advice hints and tips are greatly appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: L24 to L24e
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:40 pm 
Guru

My hint and tip is, bin the L24 and jump straight to an L28.
Comparatively, the L24 is a poor performer on the factory EFI, which is what I assume you want to use.
I would also bin the original Nissan ECU and go to aftermarket for ease of tuning and latest technology :)

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:51 pm 

im just going to use what i have which is a 78 skyline (carbie) and an 84 r30 (efi) i just need to know wheather i can put efi into an older model cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:45 pm 

heathr wrote:
im just going to use what I have which is a 78 skyline (carbie) and an 84 r30 (efi) I just need to know wheather I can put efi into an older model cheers

i think as long as you unbolt the r30 efi head and bolt it straight onto the c210 block you will be sweet, but really i have no 'REAL' idea, thats just what i would presume :|

and yes standard ecu is puss, but you can only use what you have (i understand your situation :? )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:04 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The r30 efi head has larger intake valves and ports. Some R30 heads were round port exhaust, the N47 and others were square, the E88. The chambers are modern on both of the R30 heads. Fuel injection manifolds bolt to the head a bit differently than carby manifolds.

On the C210's I think they use a later version of the E30 head in which the intake ports were notched and the manifold bolting face drilled and tapped for efi. You'll need to check your Skylines head for this.

Taking the R30 head off and bolting it to the L24 block in the Skyline may require that you notch the block because of the larger valve heads.

You can take out the L24 and bolt in the L24E engine into your Skyline.

Do you know the condition of the engine/injection setup you wish to drop in? Have you heard it running......at all? Your entire fuel system will need to be upgraded to EFI spec too. Do the injectors need a service, is the advance dashpot on the efi distributor working and on it goes. Remember this stuff is pretty old now.

It could work out cheaply as a straightford swap or it could become a real pain in the arse.

And then there is the electrical side...... :roll:

You can do it.....or chuck in a twin Su setup. Your call.

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:45 pm 

yea i was thinking the heads might be different. might aswel just swap the whole lot over and see how it goes. the efi motor cant be in any worse shape than the engine thats currently in it haha. its all an experiment to see if it will actually go with minimal effort and spend so if it doesnt work it doesnt matter. thanks for the advice tho peeps now have a basic idea of what to start with.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:29 pm 

okay I realise this is a old thread but I have done this conversion and somebody else may find my 2 cents usefull

Have done this conversion myself onto a mates "79"GC210 .. the efi set up is very easy to transfer.
You will need to change the head as the l24e and l28e engines have a notch in the head... this is standard on nearly every post "80 L24 or L28 even without EFI
for the conversion we just took a short cut and used a engine from a 1982 280c and gave it a quick freshen up(you also have to change the position of the oil pick up which requires drilling a new oil pick up through the block and sealing the old one with a plate .. dont do unless you a very confident in drilling through . you will need to get the fuel pump from the R30 2.4e as the EFI system requires higher pressure and you will also need to run return lines to your tank.
you will also need to change all the fuel lines for high pressure ones.
main issue I have always had with the old nissan/datsun efi set up is the cold start injector/ auto choke always leaks in the things and the injectors can also get leaky ... I have butchered many fuel rails on R30 2.4 E's at the wreckers to pocket the injectors in my time
while you have the manifolds off take to the ports with a di grinder and open them up to the gasket marks ... do the same on the manifold (remeber to be carefull not to take away to much meat and dont let swarf into the combustion chamber cuz that is not good)

Dont ask me why but I found that the engine will go harder if you use a L24 air box and sensor than it will with a L28 Air box and sensor. Also if you are on a budget and cant afford a expensive after market computer the L24 one will work fine on the L28 but if you can try and find one from a L28
with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust extractors and a good 5 speed you will notice a massive performance improvement ... more economical and beter performance then running twins or triples... it is also easier to mod down the track if you feel like bolting on some forced aspiration

1981 Datsun 280ZX 2+2
Current Ride
1982 Datsun Bluebird Venturer (62000km grandpa spec)
2004 Ford Escape (Daily/Family)
Have Owned
1983 Nissan R30 Hatch
1979 Datsun 280C
1995 Audi A4 B5 Quatro 1.8lt Turbo 5sp AWD
1976 KC Centura