Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:21 pm 

Hey guys, just wanted to know general handling characterisitics of stanzas and similar models on bituman...
My car, soon as you even think about hard cornering, it understeers like a .... whatever understeers horribly :roll:
So much so that it never ever flicks out the rear unless the road is saturated.

Just giving you and idea of the specs of the car.
1979 stanza
l20b which is exceptionally...slow
5sp bluey gearbox
standard rear end to the best of knowledge
for some reason, it has 1600 struts :?:
16 inch mags w/ 205/55R16 tyres

Im guessing its to do with the set up of the car. For some reason, its got a bit of mexican stance about it, ie a fair bit higher at the front and fairly low at the back. Why you ask? I have no idea, was supposedly a rally car before i got it, but i wouldnt really feel comfortable rallying it how it is... give us a clue guys? or tell me whether this is normal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57 pm 

i had hugeee understeer in my 180b when i got it, i just replaced all the front bushes with nolathane ones and it was 100% was so chuffed with it :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 am 

Wow alright, i didnt think that bushes would have that much of an effect... i guess thats the next thing on my list... (should have been the first thing i know, but it ended up having to look good before most other stuff :P)

I might also just flair the guards (theyre already rubbing, especially with a full car), and drop the front down a few inches. Give me a bit of negz camber... right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:03 am 

What I have found over the years with my stanzas is, you lose a lot of 'back flicking out' power in body roll.
Try running higher offset wheels on the front, the lighter the front steering is the better, also put lower offset wheels on the back so you have a wider rear, i have my back wheels flush with the guards with a home roll / lip.
If you look on yahoo japan you can get a cusco strut brace, I have one but not fitted yet, but that would help with some of the body roll.
Also try getting the car as low as you can, there is a complete set of king springs on ebay for the stanza if you want to do it cheap. also look at the rear shocks datsport sells.
Apart from that, the stock diff is sh*t so try get yourself a H190 diff from an s12 / gazelle and get the mounts welded in the stanza positions.

Anyway, I am no expert on this stuff, just what I have noticed with my own stanzas. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 am 
Guru

Stanzas are a great handling car. Stanzas rely on squat & traction for best handling.
If you want it to handle then call me.
They should be nose down at static ride.
This applies to rally,street or track.
As much as I like 1600s, my favourite is the Stanza.
check my avatar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ECdAZ2ponY

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:36 pm 

Alrighty, so the car is obviously too high at the front for some reason, probably the 1600 struts in it, yeah i could see in the video the difference in the stance. So i have a couple of options right? put stock stanza struts back in, or just get lower coils...? The main problem im facing is that the wheels are too big and want to rub especially under compression.

Mmm, i would have thought the more body roll in the rear, the more it would tend to oversteer due to loading up the outside tyre and making it lose traction. Then again im no expert. Cheers for the info guys.

Whats wrong with the stock diff? Does it break easily or something? I dont have much of an idea about these things on the road since ive mainly raced them in speedway ie with welded difs on the dirt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 pm 

new nolathane bushes in the front LCAs and radius rods should help control caster and help with turn-in. worn bushes can cause the toe to change under load at turn-in.

A bigger front swaybar can help too, better than stiffer coils. they are there to control bound not body roll.

I found the addition of a rear swaybar improved the handling of my stanza on tarmac significantly and actually promoted oversteer in a more controllable way. look into whether an R31 or similar sway bar will fit on the rear.

As for the diff, they are fine if you aren't running significantly more than stock L-series power. Depending on how its driven. You could go to a H190 from a Gazelle or 910. the bw78 from an r31 is another option.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:19 pm 

Alrighty, so thats a +1 for the bushes i take it :)

Yeah, that might have to do since i think it ll rub the inner guards anyhow.

Oh alright, ive got a SSS rear swaybar back home, i was going to chuck it on in the holidays anyhow, but thats good news..

Yeah, my l20b is no powerhouse, so i think ill be fine- touch wood

cheers mate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:09 pm 
Guru

The SSS rear bar is fine to use, BTW we run a BW stanza diff with the SR, used one in a supercharged stanza for 45K with no probs.
you just need to have mechanical afinity. no burn outs or wheelies.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:46 pm 

Hahaha alrighty, sounds like a plan:

-bushes (probably superpro since my local fulcrum shop has converted me from nolathane)
-sss rear sway bar w/new bushes
-and no burnouts (not that i do burnouts, too much effort hahahaha) it does get launched hard ocaaaaasionally though

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 pm 

Hey, a few of us Stanza owners are making up some adjustable LCA's if your interested. Let me know. Also think i spotted your Yellow Stanza at Autobahn the other day 8) Cheers Jay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:58 pm 

Heya, actually yeah i saw a set of adjustable LCA's at scommos place the other day, just went over for a quick look :) But yeah, i probably would be pretty interested in a set, the bigger wheels on my datto are messing with it a bit. How much do you reckon? Have you got some, or do i need to pull mine out and get them modified?
Hey, also do you know anyone that rolls guards here? and a rough price?

Haha yeah, i just got a job there, i would have come to that motorkhana the other day but i was working... And im working tomorrow as well so i guess i cant come either. Id like to come have a look at some point though :D