Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:07 pm 

hey guys have any of you tried this product?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/All-Metal-br ... 58925a8766
Brake line kits or is it better just to get someone to make some up or even give it a go yourself?

Tell me what you guys reckon!
Cheers jack!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 am 

Bah...
If you have never bent brake lines before, spend your money once and spend it locally, take your car to your local brake shop. It's quite a cheap job to have done.

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 am 
Old Digger

That kit is a full rip off. It's easy to do your own brake lines if you have the right tools. I'm not talking about cheap tools either. A good bender will cost you about $100. The flaring tool will cost you approx $200-$300. Don't buy cheap brake line tools they simply don't work that well. For the line and flare nuts just go down to a local brake shop and buy the bits you need. If you don't plan to doing any more brake lines in the future then I would take the advise above and take the car to a local brake shop to get done. By the time you have bought the right tools and brake supplies it will cost you around the same money.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 pm 

I don't think the value is that bad. Buying the bundy tubing alone from repco cost me around $40 if i can remember correctly. Then you have to add the cost of the nuts which wasn't much. Then i got a cheap tube bender for a bout $20 which sucked balls to use. and a $60 flaring tool which i took back becuase i practised my flaring for hours on end with it trying everything that was ever suggested on youtube/forums about how to get good flares with it. About 150 tries later without 1 double flare i took it to ABS and the guy laughed at the tool so i took it back V angry. Then i purchased a $700 tool though ABS's supplier and it works every time.
So to do my lines i spent prob $100 on parts and $700 on tools (and still should have spent more and got a proper tube bender) So in that context the above kit is fairly cheap. To get it done locally you wont need to buy the tools but there is more then an hours labour involved then parts on top will see it over the $100 mark most likely. My concerns with the ebay kit would be these.....

1. you bend up your line and you make slightly diffrent bends then the makers intended and you end up either short or too long of where you want to be...... then what?

2. Very suspicious of bending the line with you hand...... $10 says its really not as hard as they make it sound to put a kink in the line

3. What are the quallity of the nuts like?? The first time i did myne the connectors where soft as sh*t and even with the correct brake line spanner they would round off before you could get the nut up tight.

4. Is the kit for LHD or RHD datsuns?? is there a diffrence?

If i were in your situation id prob either go for the do it yourself option (which def is not the cheap way to go but once you have the tools you will be able to re do any of it easily and cheaply in future) OR pay a local shop to do it, this prob is not cheaper then getting the ebay kit but if you round one bolt or kink one line in the kit then your either going to be heading to a local shop anyway or buying new lines + more postage for the replacements. + even if you do everything right with the ebay kit there is still a chance it will leak, its very easy to make a leaky brake line (i found out the hard way) and if its local you just take it back and they fix it for you.

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 pm 

any one know someone that can and/or will make 2 brakelines in the coburg area? ive tried a few mechanics and they either cbf or refer me to abs..... id prefer them not to touch my car after a previous experience.

just need the line from the master cyl to my rear diff and from the master to the 3 way splitter on firewall.

ive got 2 lengths from another member of these pre made kits, the thread on the nuts looks slightly different so dont want to really change them to find out they dont fit.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:15 pm 

how soon do you need stuff done? i got gear but no spare time, untill i finish my exams on 19th of dec

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:14 pm 

Was hoping for before December. Will let you know if after ok. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:19 pm 

Hey mate,

Have a chat to Baz @ Datsport, I brought mine from them, very nice quality.

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:40 pm 

I did all of mine. So long as you take it slowly and don't try to do any super tight bends it is very easy. The difficult bit is the flares, as others have said you need an expensive tool to do them well. However, if you bend them up you can take them to a brake shop to get the fittings and flares done and it will cost hardly anything.

If you want to borrow some tube benders and a pipe cutter drop me a PM and I can lend you some and give you some pointers.

Cheers,

Will

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:34 pm 

Kit looks alright to me. Making gentle "pull" bends with your hands will never kink the line, done it heaps of times at work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:34 pm 

Well tried the kit lines. The lines are good but the nuts are softer than the 30year old ones. Hard to do up tight enough without it striping with flare but spanners.

Easiest way to bend by hand was rolling the tube in the crease of a jar between the lid and jar top. Made nice gradual bends by hand then no kinking. I found this after kinking the first line not using jar