Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm 

Hi all. Enough lurking i thought i would start a build thread seeing as things are moving now. My first car was a 200b wagon in granny spec mode(apart from twin Su's :lol:) I've now bought not one but 2 180b's as a bit of a project. The first one was from ebay for $180. 1972 autotragic. It came from ballarat where it had sat fror 3 and a half years aparently. We got it going but it didnt have any brake fluid in it, the boot wouldnt open, the interior was pretty rough, one gaurd had a massive dint in it, the paint was faded, but it had near on no rust!
[ img ]
It was a pain gettin it on the trailer with cut/lowered rear springs and no brakes, but we got it home and I assesed my purchase for $200(the guy wasnt happy that it didnt go for much so i gave him an extra 20, arent i a nice guy!)
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
The only rust is in the rear right hand guard.

Here it is next to my mates car which he also bought recently and its in such better condition then mine. One owner, spotless in and out except for some shopping car park dints. Also being from the western suburbs we have both bought rims already :lol:
[ img ]

So after a clean out etc, i needed a few things
Rear seat and dash was destoryed by the sun
Diff was binded up
Carpet is crap(i ripped some if it up to check the floor pans)
Was a bloody automagic
and some other small things

So why buy things seperatly off ebay when you can just buy another car?
As luck would have it a mate put me onto this
[ img ]
another $200 later and this is in my parts car. 1975 manual. Bit rough but will donate some good bits, to both my car and my mates.

plans (like the first post of any good build thread)
put all good bits in the blue car
get rego
get 5 speed
get twin su's
get paint
theres more but that will do for now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:35 pm 

Sheez, where is that car yard mate.... looks like an XP futura next to where you discovered the dato.... a mate of mie would love to get hold of it if possible. pm me if you like.. good luck with the dato project.... i'm doing up a couple myself... 71 and 73 two door 180's

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:03 pm 

Good work go the B!

The auto is not such a bad thing - the transmission tunnel is bigger so you don't have to cut it to get an SR20 in!

Manual conversion is easy as too.

Can't wait to see the build.

The Datto...
'74 610 180B
SR20DET on 18psi and E85. 220kW.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 pm 

DATLOVE, ill ask and PM you.

thanks AR610, have you got a build thread here or somewhere else?? I'm just in the planning stage atm but i really want to see what conversions other 610s have and how.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:13 am 

Nice project looking forward to seeing your build.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 pm 

So i got a bit done on the weekend. Late night works always more fun with a friend
[ img ]

Diff was nearly empty and had sludge in the bottom of it so i topped it up and it turns a little better now. I might have to pull the thing out and give it a good clean. The engine is running pretty well now I've changed the plugs and leads. Still waiting to get my parts car so manual conversion and interior swap can happen.

I also bought some king springs from Mark on here. Got to check out his sweet sr20de 1600 too!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:12 am 

Hi.

Since you got so many parts cars I have a couple requests that if lucky you could help me out.

Looking for bumper brackets, front and back, in good shape, paintwise no worries, I would paint them myself, but straight in shape.

Right hand side side view mirror.

The wing/fender plastic covers for the japanese side mirror openings. Mine are broken. Those silver plastic caps/covers.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 am 

Hey Jamie, I can definiently help you out.
On the parts car the fender covers are in good nick, need a paint though.
Bumper brackets its only got the front bumper, i cant remember if the rear still has the brackets on it though, if not ill have a look if 810 ones are the same as i can get some of those.
and for the mirror i need it to get a roadworthy. but after that i'll probably be running fender mirrors so you can defiently have it.
I'm happy if you just cover postage, as you can see i didnt exactly fork out alot for the car :D

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:26 pm 

dobbo wrote:
Hey Jamie, I can definiently help you out.
On the parts car the fender covers are in good nick, need a paint though.
Bumper brackets its only got the front bumper, I cant remember if the rear still has the brackets on it though, if not ill have a look if 810 ones are the same as I can get some of those.
and for the mirror I need it to get a roadworthy. but after that I'll probably be running fender mirrors so you can defiently have it.
I'm happy if you just cover postage, as you can see I didnt exactly fork out alot for the car :D
Thanks.

Sounds good. Let me know when you are ready ( when your fender morrors are in place.) so we can do it.

I will PM you with my address.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:01 pm 

A bit of Progress, I'm not much of a writer so I'll just use pictures!
I took all the interior out, carpets looked like somebody had given birth in there and i found a multitude of pens! also $13 so far so the car only cost me $187!
[ img ]

No rust :D
[ img ]

I pulled out the dash as only 1 or 2 globes where working, and seeing as the clock didn't work i decided to slot the tacho in its place.
[ img ]

cheaper than buying that 72 SSS dash off ebay!
Next the springs i bought went in. the ride is so much better now, but the back has lifted :O I'll get the lowering kit out after rego.
[ img ]

Front tyres still hit but only by a tiny bit, might roll the guard or just get smaller tyres. not sure yet
[ img ]

also latest purchase from fleabay. $30 front seats as mine are manked. and a $5 3.7 open diff.
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:04 pm 

Noice !!!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:45 pm 

Gave the grille a bit of black paint
[ img ]

and also finished my ghetto tacho install
[ img ]

and lastly and most importantly, picking these up tommorrow :thumbsup:
[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:56 am 

That tach is amazingly cool. It looks so pre historic ( like a Dr Frankenstein wacky contraption ) that it is absolutely bloody cool !!!

Have you tried an all black grille? Before you go all the way. you can try some electrical tape( black )on all those silver stainless trim. If you like the end result, no more silver trim.

I used to have that grille on my 180B. Changed it to the sedan type. Also found a couple others cheapon e bay. I painted this type of grille all black because that silver trimmakes the headlamp area protrude too far out i.e a Hammer head shark. All black takes away that effect.

180B looking good.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:50 am 

where di u get that tacho from, that looks ancient but a lot more useful than a clock.
cars looking good :thumbsup:

2002 m35 autech axis
1975 180bsss (soon to have sr20det)
1992 s13 silvia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:54 am 

thanks guys, tacho came with the car, hacked into the shelf in front of the shifter.
during the week i put my new Su's on and bought an air box from japan. I also decided to pull the whole front end apart and replace all the ball joints and rubber that are necessary. Throw a bit of paint at some things too.

I finally got the parts car on saturday. so some more work can commence!
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

So Ive now got the manual conversion gear, but im thinking of waiting till i get a 5 speed and do it all at once. Other bits I'll use are the boot lock which was stuffed, back seat that are in better condition, and dash with no cracks.

also on the weekend my mate nick decided to put his Su's on. found out the inlet ports are tiny on his head and seeing as he had another head that had been ported and decided to do a swap
[ img ]
[ img ]

It started raining so we didn't get finished so I've now got 3 180bs that cant move under their own steam sitting at my back door :D
[ img ]

If anyone needs something of the parts car send me a PM, its got rear lights, everything in the engine bay minus carby, bonnets stuffed, but boot is good etc