Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:09 pm 

The term I would use to describe an EA Falcon is 'dated'. Where do you draw the line? Probably at EA Falcon. That would be my guess

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:22 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unfortunately sarcasm isn't always easy to spot on a typed post :lol: but I do agree with you Anth! I was more talking about a specific year though. I think XDs and XEs could be classed as classics now, or soon. Same with VHs, undecided on VKs though. It's a really difficult one, maybe they'll just have to change it to thirty years old or just cap it at a certain year.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:20 pm 

its different to a car cruise, the aim isnt to get genuine classics - its that any car over 25 years old is eligible to have limited use registration. if you need to have a vn for special weekend cruises then thats what you are allowed... i have a feeling that grey imports arent allowed on the scheme? not totally sure.

the rules are ambiguous at the moment as to modifications but the more people that push it on the roads and try to bend the rules the quicker itll tighten up.

my car was checked directly by my club and was given approval. job done!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 pm 

Hey Leigh,

The rules are not ambiguous as to modifications on club permits, they are very straight forward.
The wording however is not great as some people see that the mention of street rods means that it does not apply to other vehicles.

This is quoted from the Vicroads Club permit page
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Reg ... ermits.htm

"A club permit can be issued to the following vehicles in the following categories:

Veteran vehicles – manufactured before 1 January 1919;
Vintage vehicles – manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931
Classic and Historic vehicles - manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a club permit.

These categories can include trailers and modified vehicles such as street rods. Vehicles which are replicas of vehicles in the above-mentioned categories may also be issued with a club permit."

"in the case an application made in respect of a street rod, that is a vehicle modified in excess of the level prescribed in the Vehicle Standards Information No.8. (VSI8) document [PDF, 279 KB, 8pp.], a Street Rod Inspection certificate issued by any VASS Signatory [DOC. 1113KB, 7pp]"

So any vehicle that has had more than a 20% power increase needs to be engineered, likewise all the usual mods like seats, brakes etc still need to engineered.

After getting sick of needing to be a member of multiple clubs due to owning a few different makes of classic cars I started my own club and got it on the club permit scheme.

We have many members with highly modified cars including an (engineered) SR20det 1600 so I spoke in depth with Vicroads including the Registration and Licensing Policy department.

I was informed that the VSI8 document mentioned above applies to all road vehicles and if we where to allow club permits on cars that did not satisfy the requirements and where not engineered, the club would be found in breach of the requirement and kicked off the club permit scheme meaning all members would lose their permits.

Unfortunately a few police officers and Vicroads managers I have talked to think that a lot of people are not obeying the rules of the new scheme and are actively seeking to catch offenders.
This puts all clubs at risk with the club permit scheme potentially going back to it's original form or even tighter controls. One potential consequence is that all cars will require a full rwc.

I have also been told (and I hope it is inaccurate) that Vicroads have been auditing clubs and requiring that all permitted vehicles with in the club be presented for inspections by Vicroads.

Here's hoping the minority that are breaking the rules don't wreck it for the rest of us and that the current Club Permit Scheme stays in place for a long time to come.

Cheers
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:46 pm 

Some funny questions and responses in here :lol:

Regarding silvia's skylines etc.
I dont see any issue with them, as most clubs wont be silly enough to let the owners near the club at all.
Im more worried about the EA's,and the burnout spec VNs VRs.
Theres plenty of them lying around with no rego, but have welded diffs and moronic owners.

Whats worse is the lack of intelligence Vicroads employee's have of the whole club scheme.
Ive had a few dealings now, and the loopholes between the paperwork, the scheme and vicroads workers is a eye opener haha.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:17 pm 

That's the main problem Dan. Call Vicroads 3 times, ask three different people the same question and get three different answers.

One thing about being the Chief Scrutineer for my club is you get better access to the people that know and actually write the policies regarding club permits.
We don't require a rwc and have a few people allowed to scrutineer vehicles.

Vicroads are aware of the problems regarding misinformation and are trying to do something about it. Don't like their chances though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 am 

hey jake, long time no see!

there are a shitload of people saying this and that... all i know is i went and got the chief scrutineer of my club to scrutineer my car. i don't know him and i didnt pay him or ask for special favours and he viewed the car on a hoist, checked it over and signed the papers and i had club reg.

all the cars that were previously on the old scheme (lots of club racers with cages etc..) just got given their new plates and a logbook. ive not been informed by vicroads or my club (one of the biggest in oz) about needing to meet any new or specific requirements. even engineers rep's have always been different from engineer to engineer!

seems like there is a lot of forum hype, or (more likely) vicroads need to get their sh*t together! an audit may be the go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:38 am 

LAG_510 wrote:
there are a shitload of people saying this and that... all I know is I went and got the chief scrutineer of my club to scrutineer my car. I don't know him and I didnt pay him or ask for special favours and he viewed the car on a hoist, checked it over and signed the papers and I had club reg.
Good old Warren, gotta love him! I need to pay him a visit in the next couple of weeks, rego is due!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 pm 

I got pulled over other day and when he checked the log book was pleasantly surprised it was filled out.... he was hoping it wasn't to ping it on me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:17 pm 

Yeah I was driving the Porsche a while ago and went past a speed camera, flashed the oncoming traffic and who would have guessed another few cops were sitting on the side of the road before the speed camera. A bike pulled me over, checked my logbook and I was on my way, no hassles on a defectable vehicle... I was quite pleased.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:11 am 

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
I covered up the plate.
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:34 pm 

Ha, I was just going to post that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:21 pm 

defect for ride height only, has to present the car at vicroads for inspection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:31 pm 

That's not bad. They usually have no idea about anything and just check the height with their little stick and send you on your way. Once in my S15 I went for a height inspection and the chick came outside, decided it was too cold so she turned around and just signed it off, wasted half a day putting stock suspension back in!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:18 pm 

yep ive been through it that many times, I made my own 100mm height stick just to make sure it would pass ahah.
wind coilovers up so it just passes,
then complain to vicroads that vicpol were targetting me and that I havent touched the car.