Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:09 pm 

Hey peeps.. just started on this conversion today, & thought i'd post up some progress pics..
Warning..sarcasm may appear from time to time during this post..readers be aware..& have a sense of humour..
LHD 510..
Fresh off the boat...

[ img ]
[ img ]

A Vegas LHD 2door sedan. Completely rust free( except some rat looking surface on the roof..).. rego'd in aus on historics for the last few years, but prior to that hadn't been on the road since 91.
Landed in aus around late 2009. sat around the backyard for a few months , then i got it ready for the road, for the feature film 'Killer Elite', with Rob de niro & jason stratham in may 2010.
On the way to the film with all the other 510's i resurected from the dead..

[ img ]

ready to pull out today..

[ img ]

A homosexual mate of mine (chris), purchased the old waitup 1600,with over 2 million $$ spent on it ..Typical amount for an FJ builder to spend building them., & yet still can't crack the under mid 11's on the 1/4... It was damaged in the rear, a bit like chris... Had all the custom plenums, alum tanks, braided lines & Datsport everything else and a locker diff :? But at least it had a grille with an intercooler behind it... Must have had a rocket scientist engineer one.. (or someone with brains...) the latter fits the bill here.. but the intercooler is massive..& under the grille.. 10 points for this one..

[ img ]
[ img ]

It has alot of bling under the bonnet.. Going to send it all off to get polished from a mate of chris's.. aparently he's good at polishing :roll:

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Plans for the conversion..

First up today.. we (the HMSX mate chris.. & i ) stripped the 2door.. Performed a P.B.. had the engine bay stripped and ready for the motor to be removed in 62 mins..hey who's timing...
Must admit, we had access to a workshop with a hoist.. a bonus for me... didnt have to bend over all day infront of chris..

Moved onto the Bling J... Stripped all the under neath, got the rear end ready to drop tomorrow. The rocket scientist builder before actually made an exhaust in a few pieces , so we can remove the rear end without the whole exhaust attached to it...
Took the guards off, and the front apron.. I started with the easy parts.. The inlet came off, only after the engine was lifted off its mounts & the exhaust spagetti manifold, was a nightmare.. Apparently this car was the prototype for all the manifolds.. I hope so.. The rocket scientist must have had the day off,and the man with small fingers and bent spanners & patience of a saint. work on this part of the car... Gave up with one bolt to go.. have to wait till the motors out to change the exhaust gasket now.... I plan to drop the motor & box out from the bottom tomorrow..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:32 pm 

you got a point, i've never understood why these high horsepower, light weight turbo sedans are not punching out some serious times. OBVIOUSLY hindering factors such as IRS, not having 255 wide tyres on the back etc etc will slow you down, but at the end of the day, with 300kw atw and a good rear suspension setup, you should be cracking tens. That's what i plan to do anyway, all with no intercooler in the front end whatsoever!

keep the pics coming, never seen a FJ 2 door.

do you by any chance have a metal ''510'' rear emblem you wanna sell?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:47 pm 

DATO4 wrote:
Wayne (midlifecrisiss) from mildura,vic has a yellow one!

Looking forward to seeing this progress! might have to watch that movie :mrgreen:

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1966 Nissan Cedric Custom Six
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
1974 Toyota Landcruiser Stallion (SWB)
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:54 am 

Tim from Qld also has one: http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=23766

Great project, my jaw always drops when I see your datto stash.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:22 am 

DATO4 wrote:
you got a point, I've never understood why these high horsepower, light weight turbo sedans are not punching out some serious times. OBVIOUSLY hindering factors such as IRS, not having 255 wide tyres on the back etc etc will slow you down, but at the end of the day, with 300kw atw and a good rear suspension setup, you should be cracking tens. That's what I plan to do anyway, all with no intercooler in the front end whatsoever!

do you by any chance have a metal ''510'' rear emblem you wanna sell?
ive got one, but its attached to a 2 door im selling ATM.. So it will be the worlds dearest badge..

I'll be listing a few parts that we'll be selling after the conversion, like complete trim, wheels, turbo (stepping down abit from this one) R200 locker etc..
There is a few 2 doors around.. this one will be a bit unique.. We're going to try & keep it semi rat looking, but with fresh paint & some airbrushing along the way. Start with the engine bay & boot, then work our way back. Looking at running some steelies & moon caps, similar to the look at the moment, but with semi's and less rear camber..
Good luck with your build DATO4, if jeff (SX510) can run a 11.5 on an engine combo worth less than the price of the oil pump, manifolds & turbo alone on this set-up. low 11's should be a breeze with this monster.. Just got to set the rear up, and get rid of all the camber, and stiffen it up, should be all good. But hey..its not all about the Drags.. this car will be good for the track , street & some tar motorkhana's..where you get to 'get the back out '(tm) without the fun police ruining your day..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:45 am 
Guru

I looked really hard, but could not see the chain?

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:01 pm 

nice!.....probably be running before my FJ 2 door as well ....its only been nearly 5 and 1/2 years so far for me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:33 pm 

yeah im gonna need the luck, the 1600 is probably one of the worst cars i could have chosen for drag. But its my fav car, so i'll pick away until it works.

just make sure you get your rear suspension setup the best you can, and you'll be smashing mid elevens!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:04 pm 

Big day today.. stripped the bling J down to the shell. Chris made up the special tool to remove the exhaust manifold. Made it easier to drop the engine out..

[ img ]

took out all the fuel system .. Its for sale if anyone's interested..

[ img ]
[ img ]

the trim is for sale if anyone's interested.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

also the 4 doors. in good rust free condition..

[ img ]

after we stripped the car..chris got busy with the angle grinder..

[ img ]
[ img ]

Last thing we did today was strip the 2 door's engine, box, underside including all the lines & engine bay. Ran out of hours in the day...
Will get round to welding up all the holes over the next few days, convert it over to RHD , then its off to the media blaster for the engine bay..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:23 pm 

Damn you work fast! Look forward to seeing the build.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:26 pm 

At the rate you guys were working i thought i was watching Overhaulin...
great effort from you both...

just needed AJ's help i think

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
OverhaulinAJ.png [ 198.5 KiB | Viewed 3141 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:39 pm 

how come you guys chopped up the 4 door shell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 am 

sutho510 wrote:
how come you guys chopped up the 4 door shell
the shell was written off in the rear.. beyond repair.. We cut the front off to keep all the wiring & computer, so i can transfer it over ,after the 2 door's bay is painted..
Can only remember so much...

Pete, i'd prefer a woman with bigger cans than AJ.. , then again.. prob wouldn't get the work done.. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:55 pm 

Pm sent about doors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:11 pm 

Hey Mate,

i got that 2 door off Shawn (the white 1), just wanted to know after the conversion what are you going to do with the steering gear off the 2 door? Im thinking would possibly be good for some spares.

thanx,
Paul

1955 Chev 2Door 383
1932 Ford Roadster 350
1977 Triumph Bonneville

And a Garage thats NOT big enough!!!