Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:44 pm 

Sorry, have you pulled the bottom (return) radiator hose off?

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:40 pm 

pull bottom radiator hose off radiator, hose the **** out of the radiator under pressure. Probably a good idea to remove it entirely and lie it on its top and do the same with the radiator inverted.

after that, run lots of high pressure water through the engine coolant port (thermostat pipe) to flush as much scale and sh*t out as you can.

replace radiator and hoses and refill with coolant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:42 am 

Sorry Heath, meant I pulled off the top radiator hose, bottom one was glued on tight as f***. Pulled out radiator and hoses, flushed everything properly, put in new thermostat, radiator cap & got new top and bottom hoses on order. Had to pull off front end to get to the radiator bolts, but had to do that anyway to give everything a proper clean and polish.

Been through 6 cans of degreaser and several postmix bottles on the engine bay in the last couple of days, and also got windscreen washer motor mounted and all hooked up. Also got some interior work done, been giving everything a prep wash and vinyl dye. Had a can of both VHT (Aussie) and Dupli-colour (American), VHT came out fantastic, American Dupli-colour came out really crap on the door cards, really streaky, so will probably redo them in a week once its cured. (should have never trusted american brand over aussie in the first place!)

Any info with replacing interior? e.g. heard about sound deadening etc? anything else i should be paying attention too?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:19 am 

Awesome progress dude

Definitely use the concentrated degreaser and mix it with water in one of those pump up weed-spray bottles from Bunnings. If it isn't penetrating enough, get out some scour/scotchbrite. And if the grime is really thickly caked on, just try scraping it off with a blunt paint-scraper beforehand

Replacing the interior... roughen up all the floorpan with any old sandpaper or whatever, don't worry about sanding marks lol, you'll want some thick sound deadening paint, mask up all the holes roughly (where the seats and seatbelts go in etc) and start laying the sh*t down. It'll take a while to dry. You'll also want to buy some new insulation to go under the carpet. Knox auto carpets etc sell that stuff, I'm sure there are heaps of options as far as what product to use there. I don't think any are particularly bad, but some are probably better than others. The first layer of insulation in my wagon is from under the carpet in my house when we pulled it up to do polished floorboards haha

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 pm 

BTW I can't recall what your washer bottle is like, but I have one here that I don't need in excellent condition if you want it.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:25 pm 

My washer bottle's pretty good, but thanks anyway. :thumbsup: Remember the interior came with that really ugly brown/cream carpet, so i want to replace that as well, maybe I will lay down all the sound deadening, and take it to a carpet place to get insulation/new carpet done...depending on how much it will cost.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:57 pm 

Most places do carpet for 240K, 280C and the Zeds..cant find anyone that does a 240C, let alone a coupe...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:05 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I'd like to be able to help you but they were in good condition and I didn't need to replace them. I've never seen a listing for the 230 series coupe so you may be able to use the sedan one(same floor pan) or get some custom made.

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:35 am 

Haven't had an update for a while..but have been busy with interior stuff. Been cleaning up everything, and vinyl dying things black, only thing I haven't done are the seats, I'm hesitant to do them because I've heard the dye will rub off pretty easily on seats with people sitting in them obviously.
The radio in there atm is an aftermarket one, although the previous owners did a pretty good job to fit it in neat (the only good thing they've done thus far)..but it would be nice to get an original one in there. :lol:

Also been polishing up lots of chrome parts bumpers, trims etc. and got around to doing the floor pan with 2L of sound deadening paint, and also gave the engine bay a really good clean with my weight in degreaser. Still need to find some carpet..if not the wreckers then I'll have to get some custom made.

This weekend I also picked up some things to keep me busy, got a L28 engine with apparently only 80k kms to its name, some flattop SU carbs and manifold, an airbox and flywheel. I've got some roundtop carbs lined up as obviously these are heaps more reliable, but the flattop ones will give me a chance to practice rebuilding dual SUs. The L28 I would like to rebuild eventually whether before or after I put it in the car I haven't decided. And it's also just exciting to have the first piece in my manual conversion! :D

Here are some pics

Bit nicer engine bay
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Didn't spray the silver trim, just forgot to take the tape off for the picture, looks really good polished up against the black.
[ img ]

When I sprayed these plastic interior trims a few went really crap like this..they had been cleaned with prepsol and wiped completely dry beforehand, so I dunno why.. just a real pain :(
[ img ]

Had to wipe them back which took **cking ages as the dye is really really sticky and soaks in
[ img ]

Got them all looking alright in the end
[ img ]

Made up a few bits that were in crap condition with some 3mm MDF, foam and new black vinyl

Old ones:
[ img ]

[ img ]

New ones:
[ img ]

[ img ]

Resprayed some cluster surrounds, and went over silver trims with silver paint pen
Before:
[ img ]

After:
[ img ]

Bumper Before:
[ img ]

Bumper After:
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Oh yeah, also spent most of last week cleaning out a new home for the Cedric at my girlfriends house, hadn't been used for many years except for storage, but found lots of cool tools that will come in handy, and just really excited to have a roof over the car :lol:

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:41 am 

wow sorry guys didn't mean to bombard you with photos haha didn't realise how many there were! :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:56 am 

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

We can get a radio from the cars at the wreckers I'd say.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:57 am 

Pics are never enough!! excellent job!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:22 am 

Hezath wrote:
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

We can get a radio from the cars at the wreckers I'd say.
Heath let me know if you go to the wreckers, I'm looking for the rear quarter side markers and the backseat arm rests, both sides...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:52 pm 

I wanna go very soon, might plan to head down this weekend or next, so i'll keep an eye out for you for those parts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:55 pm 

If you go on a Saturday ill come with, or i have all of next week of uni

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30