Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:15 pm 

This is my 1964 datsun NL320, I have owned it for a couple years now, I bought it in good mechanical condition, but it needed some bodywork and paint, I started with this,
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
So it went to the body man for some work and then some paint.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:25 pm 

So after I got started on the bodywork, I also had seen a hood modification that looked cool, so I thought I would give it a shot.
[ img ]

[ img ]
This is what it looked like setting on the 320 hood.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
And things are coming together.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:32 pm 

I had a couple set backs,
[ img ]

[ img ]
So some metal was fabricated, and welded in, then some bondohair was applied to make it smooth.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
Then we got back to the paint.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 pm 

It's coming along.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:40 pm 

The hood is looking fairly good.
[ img ]
And it's ready to go home for assembly.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
And it is home.
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:47 pm 

After a little assembly, and it's looking good, I think the hood turned out good.
[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
I begged some Australian taillight bezels from a ratsun member from over in Australia, waited almost a year for them to get here.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:19 pm 

I had a bunch of stuff for the truck re-plated(chromed), and it didn't turn out like I was hoping, the guy had my stuff for over 6 months, and when he finally started on it, it was to late to do it properly.
The bumpers/overriders turned out good(they didn't need anything except plating), but the rest was a disaster, he didn't fix any of the rust pitting, he just plated right over the pits.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
I am not happy about the plating that was done, the guy broke my aussie taillight bezel dividers that I waited almost a year for, now I am going to have to fabricate new dividers and have everything other than the bumpers replated(chromed) again, going with that guy was a big mistake, I thought since he was a forum member, everything would be fine.
[ img ]
And here are a couple with the stock hood before I changed it to the roadster hood scoop hood.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
This is going to be my next 320 project, I plan to make it a kingcab.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
I have made a couple kingcabs before, here is one of them, this is my 1969 datsun KC stepside diesel, this was my first kingcab project, it's a daily driver now.
[ img ]
If there is interest in this project, I can go threw that one step by step also, I learned a lot making that truck, it is sitting on a 1982 datsun 720 diesel frame.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:28 pm 
Guru

That is one cute little truck :)
Are those front discs standard?
My '65 Fairlady has drums all round :shock:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:35 pm 

Nissanman wrote:
That is one cute little truck :)
Are those front discs standard?
My '65 Fairlady has drums all round :shock:

No the front disc brakes are not stock equipment, the guy I bought the pickup from made brackets that allow the use of 1985/86 nissan 720 vented rotor disc brakes on 320s, he sells the kits on Ratsun in the USA, but at the moment they are out of stock, but he mentioned to me that he was going to make another updated version, here is a link to his "disc brake kits" thread.
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/11459 ... ke+%2Bkits
He is also working on some sort of replacement balljoint kit for the roadsters, to use another type of balljoint, as roadster balljoints are very expensive over here, fact is the balljoints are the first things that are removed off of roadsters at wrecking yards over here, if one can find one in a wrecking yard.
I have seen maybe one or two roadsters over here with drum brakes all around, but they are rare, most have front disc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:46 pm 

This ute is absolutely fantastic, the bonnet mod has really changed the look. The chrome strip has made it look OEM.

Well done keep the updates coming.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:29 pm 

DATTOCAM wrote:
This ute is absolutely fantastic, the bonnet mod has really changed the look. The chrome strip has made it look OEM.

Well done keep the updates coming.

I do little things like I found a window squeegee that will work for the exterior door roll up/down windows, and I had the chrome redone also, but got screwed by a fellow ratsun member on that deal, most will have to be re-done. :(
I have been looking for a place to have new vent/wingwindow seals/gaskets made, but the molds are to expensive, so I am thinking about just deleting the wingwindow and putting in a full sized window in it's place, a member on ratsun figured out a way of doing it to a 521, and that was all I needed, now I think I can make a setup that will be repeatable for a 320, I just need to find a bellcrank for the door lever to open the door.
But basicly this NL320 is done for the time being, it runs good, and looks decent, so I will just drive it for a while and enjoy it.
This is what it looked like before any paint.
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 am 

Hey I love your build mate. Your ute looks tops. I would like to see more on how to make a king cab.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:31 pm 

Dato200B wrote:
Hey I love your build mate. Your ute looks tops. I would like to see more on how to make a king cab.
Thankyou, I try to make user friendly rigs, mostly friendly to my legs, my seats are 6 inches(15.24cm) farther back than the stock bench seat, I was putting together shortshaft 5 speeds for them, but now I am using longshafts, so I don't have to lean forward to get it into 1st/3rd/5th, that was a surprise and was something I did not expect to be an issue.
This is my 521 kingcab build on this forum.
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=29055
I beleave it is going to be easier to kingcab a 320, than it was to kingcab the 520/521, as the 320 sheet metal in back of the door continues back towards the rear, the 521 sheet metal makes a turn accross the back right in back of the door, kinda a pain.
If this doesn't help you, just ask me questions, I will answer them if I can.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 pm 

Thanks for that great stuff. But well beyond my current skill and ability.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm 

Dato200B wrote:
Thanks for that great stuff. But well beyond my current skill and ability.

I had very few mig welding skills before I built my first 521 kingcab, and I used a cheap welder, but the funny thing is, that you really don't weld sheet metal, you tack it/spot weld it, if you try welding it, the metal warps from getting to hot.
So your 78 200B would be are 510 wagon in the USA?