Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Reliability
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:43 pm 
Apart from using alot of fuel could i drive an l20b with a worked head and twin webers long distances say vic to qld or would i stuff the engine :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:54 pm 

Aaah, no it won't stuff your engine providing you don't thrash the ring out of it' same goes with petrol, webbers can still be economical as long as your car is tuned right 8)

Formally: 510 L22B twin webber terror
510 FJ20et (510 FJ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:50 am 

I noticed on my 510s with the Mikuni set up, they run a little hotter.
I dont take mine on long distances but I have no proplem with my carbs in years. One is a daily driver. But I always watch the temp gauge. What Im really worried about on long trips is if i loose a linkage piece. Screw or something that holds the throttle cable or something. I worryied of a float going out.
Here is where a Weber DGV is simple and ez to take apart even on the side of the road.

Get a 3 core radiator! Esp in Austrailia. I know hot Hot it gets there. Burt my ass in Surfers Paridise!

Still get figure got why you guys put beets on your hamburgers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:54 am 

if you kill an L series on a country drive i'll replace it.

i know of L series that run for 12 hours straight at full throttle and still start the next day.

and we put beetroot in our burgers because tourists with tomato sauce stains AND beetroot stains is funnier... :lol:

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:59 pm 

When I lived in Blackwater (middle of nowhere) I used to drive my L20, twin Weber, balanced, cam, extractors, port/polish, yadda yadda to Brisbane every 3-6 months. It's 1000km each way, and I drove it as hard as I dared (speeding tickets were my biggest concern).

I drove that same car from Mount Isa to brisbane twice (1800km each way). Out west, I used to sit on 120-140 for a couple of hours straight (slowing for the occasional town, or oncoming traffic) in January, when local temperatures reach high 40's.

The only troubles I ever had with the car were burnt points, which I later traced to an incorrectly wired tacho (was basically shorting from the coil straight to earth. The tacho was supposed to be wired in series, not parallel).

Apart from that mishap, the car never struggled with the long drives. I even took it on holiday to Tasmania one year (did 5000km in 5 weeks). Fanging around Tassie was definitely worth the drive.

As long as the engine is properly tuned, and in good nick (ie not about to crap itself anyway) you'll have no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:33 pm 

120Y, L20B, twin 48's, yada, yada. 7500rpm in 5th, 6 hours at a stretch, earplugs, fuel every 200km's.

No, it wasn't me & yes, the car shouldn't have been used for long distance drives, it was more suited to rallying (hmm, it was an ex-rallycar).

Baz knows the beast I'm talking about.

L28ET 240Z
RB25DET WGNC34 Stagea RS-FourV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:00 am 

damn hard to kill a datto in any guise, my folks bought a 180b new in the 70's, drove it from perth to the middle of the nullabour, drove it arond for years, just serviced it regularly, 45deg+ days, no wuckers mate. 8)

Formally: 510 L22B twin webber terror
510 FJ20et (510 FJ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:15 am 

I drove my 180b from sydney to canberra for this years summernats, with 5 people on board and a trunk full of gear, 40 degree heat, car started to overheat, in the red zone from syd to canberra, and on the way back also.. just stopped here n there to fill water on the way there, but on the way back i didnt stop at all and the thing was like a cockaroach, DID NOT DIE.

when i got back, flushed out the radiator.. good as new.

engine still starts first time, still a gem, even with the same oil i used for the trip..

go the dattos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:40 pm 

god save the L series.
all hail the L series.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:56 pm 

HEIL L-SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:08 pm 
L series motors are perfectly simple...and can still out perform late model motors...
i was stoked to see a new video of japan drag racing with a 240z with a L series motor- with tripple webers(setup for blow thru) and a huge trust turbo pulling great times..
There is someting about old school motors with carbies (not efi), that makes it "more real"..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:33 am 

When I was 19, I blew the head gasket on the L18 in 1600 #2. It had blown from the cylinder through to the rear water galley in cylinder 4, and had sucked the cooling system dry. I was 30 km across town with no money. :(

So I topped up the radiator (which did no good, as the engine blew all the water straight out the exhaust anyhow.) and after a bit of cranking, it started and I drive the ol' baby home on 3 cylinders and bugger all coolant. :wink:

All it needed was a little head resurfacing, new gaskets and away she went! :D

you gotta luv them L series! 8)

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:27 pm 

Heck, I've broken the crank in the L18 in my rally car. Snapped the bugger in two, on the return between the rear main and number four conrod journal. It was noisy as hell on decelleration, but I drove it the 35-odd kilometres home from the rally, and then drove it to the workshop the next day.

Changed the crank (and a few other things), but used the same block for the current motor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:52 pm 
I love that fro !!!
Gotta admire that Datsun L'Motor ! :twisted:
I remember reading that thread, When you broke the crank! Baz was really suprised. :shock:
Didnt know that you drove it back tho! Thats frigging awsome. 8)

##It aint "Fun" unless your Sideways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:06 am 

1995 Round Australia Trial, datto 1600. L16, Datrally head etc etc. started at Brisbane, down to sydney, melb, adelaide, ayres rock, perth, up north west coast. near marble bar(far north west!) pulling someone who was bogged out when she broke drivers side engine mount. Didnt notice and engine ran on oil filter till it blocked. seized on No3 big end. Had to pull off head, took the rod and piston out, put the head back on took rocker arms off no 3 so no oil came out inlet manifold/ exhaust. Had to use old head gasket as it was literally in the middle of nowhere. Drove the rest of the way home (another 5000 km, maybe more?) apparently it felt alright, just didnt rev it too hard. Hottest driving was 52deg heat through central aust! not me, but a very good friend. All up 20,000km in 2 weeks. Legendary stuff.