Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:52 am 

btw,your carbies cleanliness makes me froth.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:15 am 

Dats-son haha cheers mate.. Tool me FOREVER to clean them up! Just got to clean up the rest of the engine.. Also wanna give the block a lick of paint to neaten it up.

Any ideas on where to get a hold of the cam?

Bought pacemaker extractors, 3 core aluminum radiator and carpet this morning so they should turn up mid week... Turning into an addiction

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:37 pm 

so i got into again this morning.
decided untill i get all my engine bits soughted as im still waiting for them to turn up.. i would get back into the interior.
ripped out all the carpet and underlay.. after ALOT of swearing.. finally got it done.
you really know the age of your car when you keep finding 2 cent coins through out it haha

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_1133.JPG [ 1.59 MiB | Viewed 2111 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_1134.JPG [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 2111 times ]
File comment: need to clean up the rest of the engine.. just doing a quick test fit..
[ attachment ]
IMG_1135.JPG [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 2111 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:41 pm 

oh and also checked what head it was.. turns out it has an A87!!
from a few of the posts i have read on here, as far as i can tell its a decent head?
any suggestions on how to use it to my advantage?

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:37 pm 

Just noticed a typo in Dats-son's post. He meant a series 2 Bluebird distributor, not series 3 ('cos that runs a different type of motor). Thought I'd better pipe up before you race out and grab the wrong one. BTW, grab the coil too. It's different to the stock 180B coil.

You may be new to Datsuns but you're doing a sweet job. Keep it up an please keep the posts coming.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:39 pm 

180ssst thanks mate, only get weekends to really get into it but it's starting to get there! Should have a decent update next weekend as parts start arriving.
Is it hard to get a hold of those distributors?

Thinking about making up a whole new dash as mine is roooooted haha and having trouble finding the parts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 am 
Guru

Use std 200B exhaust manifold. cheap extractors will loose torque. TRUE. best on engine up to 170HP. Its all in the rest of the exhaust.
The correct cam is a "B".
Use Jap distributor with pertronix ignitor. BB2 dissy has faults & poor timing curve.
Have an early SSS dash complete to sell. ( not cheap)

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Last edited by Baz on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:21 pm 

Baz cheers mate. I hear you are "the guy" to talk to!
So I should go with standard 200b exhaust manifold? And as with rest of exhaust.. Ideas?
Is it hard to get a hold of the dizzy and cam? Or maybe point me in the right direction?

Been sifting my way through alot of the topics on here and keep getting mixed messages! It's only going to be street driven but want it to have some decent poke. When it comes to head work and ratios of this and that it loses me haha (not technically minded.. Yet)

Not worried about fuel consumption, don't want turbo, want to keep it a neat original with a solid setup!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 pm 

Another thought.. If I remove the heat shield from the su's it will eliminate the tension spring on the choke assembly.. Any idea on a fix?
Also plumbing is looking to be a drama.. Will have to take some better pics to get an idea and other topics on here on this issue are giving mixed result AGAIN :roll:

Does the pcv need to be connected? And there is another smaller hose that runs off the pcv onto a junction on the left gaurd?
The hose coming off the top of the block can I eliminate that and just put a filter on?
Fuel is easy, same with hook up from distributor!
Where the brake booster connected on the old Nikki it had two outlets.. One for booster (which the su has) and a smaller one which looks like it runs down to gearbox??? (unsure havent got my ass down there to check)

Giving me the $@&@$.. Although no massive rush as I'm not ready to turn it over.. Just need to get my head around it! Will post as detailed as possible pics tomorrow night

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 pm 

Quote:
Did a quick test fit of the su's today.. And the heat shroud seemed to male things extremely tight! Is it needed or if I just heat wrap the exhaust will it be sweet?
Also there is a a hose coming off the side of the block in-between the exhaust... What's it for? (obviously I lack in the mechanical side of things haha but I'll get there)
The pipe on the side of the block between 3 and 4 exhaust outlets should be connected into the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve screwed into the centre of the intake manifold balance pipe via a (flexible rubber/neoprene?) hose between them, so crankcase gasses are recycled into the inlet system.

I suggest you keep the original exhaust manifold initially. It will fit behind the heat shield, which is necessary for a road car, to avoid fuel vapourising on hot days in city traffic. Its not a big restrictor of gas flow either, unless you are using 5000RPM plus.

There is not a lot of power gain unless you fit "big bore" extractors, which feed out horizontally from the ports. Most smaller dia. extractors generally have tight bends from the manifold flange to fit around the factory inlet manifold, and in my opinion are little better than the cast factory manifold, they just sound louder.

You can get an improved factory manifold from an 80's Stanza, or L20 manifold from a 200B/Bluebird Series1 or 2, all are the same part. These anti pollution manifolds need to have the EGR pipe deleted and the fitting hole blanked off with a suitable bolt (or an old spark plug). This exhaust manifold is less restrictive than the older factory manifold, as it doesnt have the restriction cast into the top of #2/3 cylinders outlets that you will see in your original manifold. They are a lot quieter in the cabin than a tube extractor.

If you decide to go for an extractor system, get a "big bore" extractor. To fit this type, you will have to cut out the lower half of centre section of the SU heat shield, and grind off the bottom (only) of the interconnecting alloy tube section of your SU inlet manifold linking 1/2 and 3/4 inlets, to get clearance for the #2/#3 extractor pipes. Grinding off the bottom of the balance tube will break into the water gallery section, which runs underneath the vacuum balance section above it in the same casting, so you need to block off the water flow at the head and the pipe from the water pump, or fill the hole each side of the ground out area with silicon - not a recommended "permanent fix") . You will also have to find another way to fit the SU return springs, which are fitted to the lower section of the heat shield. (Not a difficult job to fabricate alternatives, fixed to the lower carb retaining bolts)

Hope these thoughts are helpful in giving you some development options.

Keep it going.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:44 pm 

Richardc oh dear god haha brain overload!!
Ok has given me a bit to think about..
I will post some pics of the carbs tomorrow night as it has already had a few things blanked out on it!

And I will re-read and decipher the rest of what you have just given me in the meantime haha

Cheers for the help! Appreciate it massively
Decent sized learning curve for me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:02 pm 

no egr on that engine richardc just pcv 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:23 pm 

riiiiiiiiiiighto.... so i have taken a few photos of the carbies and what has been blocked off!
forgot to grab photos of the engine/hoses but will get to that tomorrow...

thoughts??
where does pcv connect? also the small hose that runs off the pcv and connects to a junction on th eleft gaurd then has a return hose back to carb... if i weld a small nozzle on the bacl of one of the air filters so that it flows on the inside of the filter will this work?

grrrr :?: :?: :shock:

cheers

Attachments:
File comment: all red circles blocked and below can see the tube i made up so that both choke linkages can be used with the original single choke cable..
[ attachment ]
carb1.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 2076 times ]
File comment: all red circles are blocked and the black cap under the far right is only capped.. thinking this is where the hose off the top of rocker cover is attached???
[ attachment ]
carb2.jpg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 2076 times ]
File comment: red circle is blocked off and green is capped but not blocked.. green was told to leave it just as capped as i could use it for a vaccuum gauge or something..???
[ attachment ]
carb3.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 2076 times ]
File comment: water tunnel has been blocked off
[ attachment ]
carb4.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 2076 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 pm 

Getting into it again this weekend.. Been short of time!
And still waiting for parts to show up!
Spoke to crow cam today and probably going to send them my cam to re grind it instead of buying new.. Still tossing up!!

Still need help with above post too..

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:05 am 

OK, grab a beer or a cuppa and settle in. This may take a little while.

The good news is, being a 1975 car your Datsun would NOT have had EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) fitted, so you don't need to run it. Your carbies, however are the post 1976 "anti-pollution" carbs that would have had EGR. Sure, you can block it all off. Will the carbs run perfectly? Dunno. Honestly they don't have a great reputation. Maybe there's somebody who can get them to run beautifully, but I don't know who. My experience is that a 32/36 downdraft Weber is a much easier budget alternative which goes surprisingly well, although there are some tips to getting a good, cheap aircleaner I'm happy to share if you ever need them.

The small diameter hose that joins (2, I think) others on a valve on the inner guard near the coil is part of the anti-pollution gear, too. I think one of the hoses is supposed to go to the carbon canister, an ugly black thing mounted just behind the radiator support panel on that side. Legally, you should retain this, properly plumbed. Will it still work properly after 37 years? Who knows? Will anybody ever notice if you delete it and/or block the hoses? Pretty unlikely. It's your choice.

By the way, the floatbowl (where the fuel enters each carby) vent (pipe poking straight out the top) hoses seem to be bent over in the photo. I couldn't see where they lead. On an earlier model, non anti-pollution set of SSS carbies, these hoses were plumbed to the air cleaner assembly. I think with your type carbies they went to that valve before the carbon cannister. The idea was to prevent petrol vapours (pollution) escaping to the atmosphere. Best not to leave them open as there is a slight fire risk and if your needle & seat (the valve in the floatbowl that controls how much fuel comes in) ever fail these can leak fuel.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and my opinion of how to get most fun per dollar from your 180B is to get the engine running sweet but fairly stock (electronic ignition is good) and then put your money into suspension, tyres & brakes. I found adjustable castor & camber on the front made the biggest and best difference..... but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Cheers!