Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 720 Dipstick help
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:31 pm 

Hi All
I have just bought myself a 720 ute to play with and get to work. Have owned a few datsuns over the years and glad to have another. This one is an unfinished project that is starting to seem like it has more unfinished bits than finished bits.
Anyway, the question i have is - the dipstick tube on my L18 goes into the part of the sump that is over the front cross member, is this normal? Seems to me that there would have to be a lot of oil in the sump to even register on the dip stick and seems a bit odd. I am assuming the oil quantity would be somewhere in the vicinity of 5 litres(yet to get a service manual)but can not check as the current dipstick is a piece of wire that is nowhere the correct length. I know this sounds like an odd question but i have never run into this problem before.
Looking forward to hanging around and sharing stories with you guys, and no doubt learning heaps while i am at it.
Cheers
Shirl

Post subject: Re: 720 Dipstick help
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:02 pm 

I believe i may have answered my own question. After doing a bit of cleaning i noticed that the engine in my 720 is actually an L16. I cant believe i didnt check this before i handed over my cash. I am assuming that the dipstick hole is in a different position on these two engines creating my problem. Can anyone confirm this?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:53 pm 
Guru

A bit of sleuthing here.
The L16 from a 510 has a rear dipstick because the sump bowl is at the rear.
I'm guessing the L18 in the 720 has a forward bowl on the sump and therefore the dipstick hole will be forward.
I'm also guessing that the forward bowl sump has been retrofitted to the L16 engine and the dipstick is therefore at the wrong end of the sump :(

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:14 pm 

The L16 i have has the dipstick hole to the front(in the block) and the bowl on the sump is at the rear. It has been suggested that i need to get a sump off a bluebird as it has the dipstick tube in the sump itself and not in the block. Not sure about this. So now i am wondering what this 1600 engine has come from. Any help i can get on this will be great.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:30 pm 
Guru

OK, I was 180 degrees wrong :roll:
The L16 is from a model with a front bowl sump obviously.
Not much you can do about that now.
The L20B engine [Bluebird] as far as I can determine, still has the dipstick tube in the block.
All I can say is make sure you change the oil regularly [every 5,000Km] and forget about the dipstick problem :?

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:35 pm 

Thanks for the input. I reckon you are right, regular oil changes will be the easiest solution.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:15 pm 

hi shirl, u motor must be from a stanza,they ran dipsticks at the front.some L series motors have a hole each end for a dipstick and 1 is blocked off.see if u have a plugged hole at the rear.been too long ,unsure if stanza has.also none of the datto sumps have the dipstick factory fittted.

GET THAT DATSUN DIFFERENCE!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:42 pm 

Thanks Datdrift. I am thinking for the moment i will just do regular oil changes until i get another engine.The next issue i have is getting it registered with this engine as the 720 never had a 1.6 engine as far as i know. Guess it depends on how anal they want to be at queensland transport. One way to find out i guess.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:22 pm 

U should get away with it.you not in qld by any chance? i got a parts 720 here with a running L18w motor in it if it helps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:45 pm 

Yep, on the Gold Coast. May need to have a chat as there are some bits and pieces i need. I am thinking that an L18 would be a better option. This was someones project,and,as i am slowly discovering he like to half do everything.
Will send you a message.
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:09 pm 

shirl72 wrote:
Yep, on the Gold Coast. May need to have a chat as there are some bits and pieces I need. I am thinking that an L18 would be a better option. This was someones project,and,as I am slowly discovering he like to half do everything.
Will send you a message.
Cheers
no probs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:58 am 

Hi Datdrift
Mate have tried to send you a PM but for some reason wont send, anyway, wondering what the dash is like in your parts 720 and if ok do you want to part with it? I removed the very ordinary vinyl covering from mine yesterday to find an even worse looking dash board lurking underneath. Arrrrgh.
Cheers