Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:40 pm 

Hi all,

Dunno if anyone remembers the car (Photos below) used to be my primary vehicle but has been in storage for about a year now. However my new car (RX8) has hit the point where the engine needs a rebuild so nows as good a time as any to get the old beast back out for a couple months!

Problem 1 - Engine wont start. Unfortunately I couldn't remove the battery when it went into storage as it has a ridiculous alarm in it which goes off when the battery is taken out as the alarm has its own internal battery and doesnt stop going off if the battery is disconnected. Ive tried charging the battery and putting some fuel in the carby and it was looking promising but the engine just doesn't fire up.

Problem 2 - Rego lapsed for more than a year meaning the car needs to be first inspected before i can re register it. I am highly doubtful it will pass an inspection mainly due to the exhaust/extractors. The exhaust is a straight pipe right from the extractors with no mid pipe cat which im pretty sure is not legal and if so the noise this car makes is well above the legal limit. Also there's a bit of rust in the hood/door which i think technically can fail inspection.

If I do get the car started anyone got any ideas what could be done for rego? Any inspection places i could take it to? Im in Canberra ACT.

Thanks!

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Datsun Interior 2.jpg [ 352.24 KiB | Viewed 3273 times ]
[ attachment ]
Datsun Interior.jpg [ 308.34 KiB | Viewed 3273 times ]
[ attachment ]
Datsun 4.jpg [ 93.83 KiB | Viewed 3273 times ]
[ attachment ]
Datsun 3.jpg [ 320.27 KiB | Viewed 3273 times ]
[ attachment ]
Datsun 2.jpg [ 346.66 KiB | Viewed 3273 times ]
[ attachment ]
Datsun 1.jpg [ 46.11 KiB | Viewed 3273 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:12 pm 

Still not having any luck starting it, i topped up the radiator water as it was empty, put some oil in, fuel down the carby and have been using a jump starter battery thing I have to provide it power but its just turning over a couple times but then not actually starting up. After a few attempts the jump starter does have enough charge left so Ill give it a good charge tonight and then try again tomorrow.

Any thoughts, is there any trick to getting the L20b motor to start after long storage? Engine was fine and serviced etc pretty close to being put into storage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:15 pm 

blocked jets, blocked fuel lines, bad fuel, rotten pump diaphragm, points stuck open. start with the basics.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 pm 

i remember this car from years gone by. Good to see it back.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:28 am 

Thanks old-tin, but unfortunately im far from being mechanically talented. Are these simple things for someone like me to check or is it worth getting a mobile mechanic out here or somehow NRMA?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:50 pm 

Might be the best option but NOT NRMA there only good for bringing battery's. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:19 pm 

A mobile mechanic may be have to be the go. But i did check a couple more things - Fuel seems to be getting through fine and can see it squirting through the fuel pump when I disconnected it, points are opening when I spin the fan and i am able to fairly easily spin the fan/crank shaft. I did notice the lead running from the coil to the distributor cap had some gunk built up in the plug on the distributor side, cleaned it out but didn't make a difference. Also attempted to see if a spark was occurring by holding one of the spark leads to some metal but couldn't see anything sparking.

I wish it would just start!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:17 pm 

check you have ignition to the primary side of coil and that when cranking the points arc at each stroke of the lobe of the dizzy. if you dont have ignition there, check fuses and the fuse holder/ignition relay etc and ensure you have power to the ignition and crack circuit as these tend to corode when left unattended. however if you do get ignition then before putting plugs in a little squirt of petrol down each plug hole, i like to use two stroke that way i know at least there is some lube to the liners prior to getting oil pressure up. all things said and done and plugs clean and gapped correctly you should get it to fire up. even if it takes a couple of goes... ohhh grab a decent battery as you need it.... those jump packs are good but not as good as a fresh battery.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:20 pm 

new plugs and leads?

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1966 Nissan Cedric Custom Six
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
1974 Toyota Landcruiser Stallion (SWB)
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 am 

Good luck getting this car going. Will be good to see it around town.
If you're looking for a good place for rego, try Kambah Automotive and Exhaust, in Tuggeranong.

I took my 200BSSS there a year ago when it was finally ready for rego. The guys there inspected it, no worries.
They also put a new 2 inch system through it. The guy there ( I think his name is Guy) knows a bit about Datto's as well.

Do you happen to live down Tuggeranong?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:52 pm 

Thanks DATLOVE ill have an attempt at your suggestions when I get a chance probably this weekend and fingers crossed have some luck!

AICHINACT - Yeh I do live in tuggers so that place is close. Being that mine has illegal mods already though do you think its likely they would pass it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm 

If the exhaust is the only mod, I'm sure he could knock something together that'd get you past. As for the rust, maybe some rough repairs now for rego and fix it properly later. I might suggest you have a chat to him and see what can be organised. He'd probably ned to see the car.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:17 pm 

If you're not confident to do this stuff yourself, I highly recommend taking it to Dyno Tune in Mitchell. Talk to the owner (Micheal) and ask for Grant to have a look at it. He's the Datsun man.

Now a weekend driver, instead of a daily.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:25 pm 

Cars all good now took it to the mechanic that used to work on it and after replacing tyres (bald) they passed it and it is running fine with a new battery.

You'll prob start seeing it around on the roads for the next couple months anyway til I get the other car back from its rebuild