Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:10 pm 

Just wondering, because I would love to have one. I'm in the states and I think it would be nice to get one in LHD and column shift M/T so everyone would think it was some obscure rare american car, until I would correct them and let them know it was an obscure, extremely rare Japanese car.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:35 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there was a sedan for sale on here a while ago that was a 4spd column shift and LHD, it was in like the Philipines etc? I may be mistaken...

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, most Cedrics had European LHD models.
Which model are we talking about? Some were sold new in North America. All the early ones were column shift.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 am 

Hezath wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there was a sedan for sale on here a while ago that was a 4spd column shift and LHD, it was in like the Philipines etc? I may be mistaken...
I did look at the for sale ads and didn't see one. I cannot think of a better excuse to vacation though, then to see a beautiful country behind the wheel of one of these cars, then when my holiday is over, ship the car home as well :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:00 am 

Mr Camouflage wrote:
Yeah, most Cedrics had European LHD models.
Which model are we talking about? Some were sold new in North America. All the early ones were column shift.
I've never seen one in NA. The first time I saw one was when I was in Hong Kong in 2005, it was a Y31 taxi. I believe it was a 2.2L or 2.5l diesel, manual, but it was a floorshift model

The model could be a 30, 130, 230, or 330. I would prefer one with an L series six, I love the sound they make. I really like the bodystyle of the 230 and 330 but the earlier cedrics have that timeless 50's style that simply never looks bad :)

Naturally I would prefer a 4 door hardtop or a coupe but considering the rarity of these cars (Especially in the USA) I don't think bodystyle would matter, it would turn heads no matter what.

I'm sure somebody would wonder why I'm so into these Datsuns when I have access to American iron from that era, but I guess I'm simply addicted to old Nissans. I still miss my 280z to death, my favorite car ever. (Seeing how ridiculously overpriced classic american iron has become gets my gag reflex going as well.)

To put that last point in perspective, (sorry if I got off topic) this is the Buick Skylark I had, which I paid $2500 for. The body is pretty much gone but the frame was solid. It was a 4 door hardtop with a 350 2bbl , 4 wheel non power drum brakes, and a TH350. It got about 12mpg on it's best day. I had to rebuild the motor and trans after. I had to sell her due to losing my job. :( It was a cool cruiser but I think I like the datsuns better. Sorry about the size of the photos!
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
The 350 I rebuilt with a holley on top :)
[ img ]
The gauge cluster, overstuffed with a whole 1 and a half gauges. Still wonder what american engineers were thinking back then...
[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 pm 

My father, in Sydney, owned a LHD Skylark GS convertible, the one with the 455 cubic inch motor, it was this same colour, white roof and interior.
It had to be registered in the ACT, as there was then a loophole in the law re getting cars converted to RHD for Australia.
He sold it in mid 1970's, to then buy an American Motors Corp AMX, with a 390 cuber, two door short wheelbase. He moved onto a 1973 Mustang Convertible, which i would borrow back in mid 80's to participate in the Bathurst 1000 driver parade prior to the race.
Prior to those he had a '66 Pontiac GTO.

Cedrics in LHD were popular in South America.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:35 pm 

dat2kman wrote:

Cedrics in LHD were popular in South America.

and Portugal