Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Davids 1600 build
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:26 pm 

HELLO ,My name is David

I have been doing autocross in my stanza that i brought of a old man about 2 years ago,i built a 2 ltr flat tops 1mm over size, all new parts ended up getting a a87 that had been ported, polished, over sized valves and had never been used, a set of twin 40mm rebuilt webers and a electric dizzy, very very happy with the out come. half cage, bucket seat, harness and a set of kyb shocks front and rear all in all very happy with it but I have all ways wanted a 1600 so now I have in barked on building a 1600 for auto cross and eventually moving into the Victorian rally series and some sprints

So my build started 6 months ago when a 1600 popped up on ebay for what i thought was a reasonable price so i put a few bids in and ended up winning it..
I traveled a few hours to pick it up, so i was always bringing it home even if it was ruff and trust me it was .
I got it home and had a good look, my plan was to get a cage in it and pull the motor out of the stanza that i built and just driving it and fixing the rest as i went. But i soon realized that the car had been got at before and had a lot of rust and doggy rust repairs,
I started digging and ended up taking 90% of the car back to bare metal, I brought a mig and quickly taught myself how to weld really thin metal. then I began repairing all the rust that i could find. I quickly realized I had started on a massive project that was not a few weekend in the shed....

-SO FAR
-I replaced the driver side sill
-The drivers and passenger floors had to be repaired in places as you could see the ground
-Rear lower quarters left and right had been repaired before so I just fixed them up a bit
-the engine bay had a fair bit of rust in the usual places
-the front bonnet and 2 front guards were fiberglass :-)
The roof was in really good condition
-all the doors had rust in the corners
-The boot was to far gone so I sourced a good second hand one of ebay
-Fitted R31 rear calipers and 200b front struts with 240z front calipers
- replaced all rubbers and moving parts under the car ball joints ,tie rod ends ect

- I had a mate who is a motorsport fabricator in Berwick (Freak automotive fabrications) build me a cage that is attached in 10 places and welded to the body in several places, it attaches to the front struts and to the rear shock towers. I am very very happy with how it turned out and highly recommend his workmanship and massive knowledge of what he has done in his carrier and does out of his home based worked shop highly recommended...

-I have prepped the body for paint and I have painted the bay and interior and inside the doors and I have reinstalled all panels and is ready for a rub down and paint..
-I have ran all new brake lines and had braided lines made up for the front and rear calipers of the car
-My mate built me a hydraulic hand brake (yet to install )

Here are a few pics of the stanza and the 1600 build so far
Let me know what you think CHEERS
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

There are a few photos, I will post more soon

Post subject: Re: Davids 1600 build
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:30 pm 

I will post some more pics tomorrow ......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:07 pm 

Looks like your doing a good job, keep it up. What did you use to get it to bare metal?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:29 pm 

G'day, I used a blue wheel that looks like a coral and a stiff wire wheel the goes on the grinder but I went through a fair few of them and took awhile but at least I could work on a panel at a time ...I brought both from buntings I think there around 15 dollars each .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:19 pm 

Quick up date
The stanza was sold just before christmas to a member on here who is building a big bore quad car set up for it

I purchased a set of 240 k rear springs and a set of big bore bilstines for the rear...
The 200b front shocks are standard and standard springs until i work out what way to go with them ..

Over the christmas holidays I had a full week of work on the 1600, just being able to set out a task for the day and being able to complete it was a massive help, usually i spend a hour here and a few hours there and it just seems like I have to pack up as soon as i get all the tools.....
I have put the motor and gear box in, I had to make a gear box mount to fit the 240k 5 speed in but I was lucky enough to pick up shorten tail shaft that fit straight in, the previous owner must of had different gear box then standard as the gear stick hole was in the right spot .
[ img ]

Last weekend I picked up a radiator core, measured up the radiator and went to my mates house to start to assemble it (The guy who built my cage ) I was told what I needed to make such as end tanks top and bottom cover plates, pins to mount it and a few other things and take 60 mm off the hight, it now has to be welded and pressure tested, so hopefully this happens as soon as he gets a chance... ( I can mig but I have never tried to tig aluminium, and we have a agreement that i will weld things under the car and he does all the things that are seen lol)
[ img ][ img ]
I ordered some autometer gauges and purchaced a bag full of fuses,relays,electrical wire and other bits and pieces to start my wiring from scratch.. I made a panel in the glove box for the relays and fuses, mounted gauges in the standard dash as the standard dash is way to cool to get rid of, I ditched the ignition key and made it a push button start.
All finished and everything works , Heaps more head scratching and working out before I even put a wire in the car but all that working out made things so much easier in the end
[ img ]
[ img ]

I had a set of extractors on the engine already so all I needed to do was from them back, I picked up a hooker muffler, 2 180 deg mandrel bends and a length of 2 1/4 inch pipe from my local exhaust shop. This was my first attempt at building a exhaust system.
I was very happy with the out come and the car sounds really good ..
[ img ]
[ img ]

I picked up a dry cell for inside the car
[ img ]

Now I have a few little things to tidy up and hopefully in a few weeks i will be ready for a test drive

CHEERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Wow! When i first saw that pic of the sill panel all rusted etc i thought to myself here we go a basket case that will be abandoned, but youve done an awesome job! Keep up the top work!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:01 pm 

Awesome job there Dave. Keep the updates coming through.