Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Diff strength
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:22 am 

yellow1600 wrote:
datdrift wrote:
yellow1600 wrote:
So is a subi r160 LSD stronger then a datto open r160?
I run a std viscous r160 lsd in my legacy,aprox 300 flywheel hp and not a problem,highly doubt a 40 year old datsun r160 would take the same punishment....
That's what I was thinking, I just see no point swapping diff's when the new one is no stronger.
From what I can tell with my diff (it's still in the car) it has up and down play and in and out play on the left hand flange so I think it is probley a bush or thrust washer and probley the spider gears too, it goes clunk when I spin it over by hand.
II was tryning to say a r160 from a datto is weaker then the r160 lsd in the suby...
yellow1600 wrote:
I have another question about the diffs, I have read that the viscous diffs behave like an open diff after 50000 kms, can the LSD action be restored by replacing the diff oil with a quality oil or will it need rebuilding? Thanks
my lsd has 140,000 kays and still works fine

GET THAT DATSUN DIFFERENCE!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 am 

yellow1600 wrote:
I have another question about the diffs, I have read that the viscous diffs behave like an open diff after 50000 kms, can the LSD action be restored by replacing the diff oil with a quality oil or will it need rebuilding? Thanks
Viscous LSD's are a sealed unit, once they're dead, they're dead.
Their life is usually better than that, depends on how much racing type use they've had though. They've got a bad rap for not handling high horsepower too well and for being a lot less 'predictable' than a plate type LSD.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:54 am 

I had 170+ rwkw going thru the r160 my car rolled off the production line with. Took it 12 months before it got noisy.
After that I used a excellent condition r180 and went to approx 240 rwkw with no problems.
A Subaru r160 will prob be a bit tougher as they have an easier life and are newer. Some argue that LSD will last longer as two wheels will spin and transfer the power but it shouldn't make much difference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:28 pm 

My r160 datto diff had lost some teeth in the little bevel gears in the diff center, so if both wheeles were spinning they should last longer

1971 1600, mild L18, 5 speed

All I want is less to do, more time to do it and higher pay for not getting it done.