Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 1600 Sedan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:23 pm 

Hi guys, I've had a login for years but never really used the site. Figured it was appropriate to kick things off now that I have a new Datto.

A tough run recently, but have had life throw me a bone in the form of a new project car. As far as project bases go, this is one of the best 1600s I have seen. Considering the age & history of the car it surprisingly lacks a lot of the nasties I've come to expect (self tappers, alfoil & bog, etc)... and having it properly set up for a CA is a pleasing start as well.

Great thanks to Scott (OKE020) of Cleveland Exhaust for making this happen.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Post subject: Re: 1600 Sedan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:05 pm 

Ok so here's a shot of the engine bay as it sits... needs a lot of tidying work but is mechanically sound.

[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:11 pm 

So the first job is to start collecting odds and ends to tidy it up. Headed to the wreckers today to find a CA18DE powered Exa. I found one at the first wreckers I went to, but the part I needed was missing.

Second wreckers I went to had two of them, and thankfully one of the two still had what I needed.

[ img ]

For those who don't know, the FWD water outlet directs the radiator piping in the correct direction for most RWD conversions, as shown. You can get it off with a 12mm ring spanner but highly recommend taking a 12mm socket/ratchet on your hunt.

[ img ]

So I grabbed that, and also in my travels grabbed some stereo wiring from another car:

[ img ]

Nothing like doing it on the cheap, this is what it's all about kids :)

Last edited by Shifty on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm 

This allows me to run just the one upper radiator hose, with a single bend in it. Not only does it look much neater this way, but when you loop the radiator hose around (like a lot of cars) you also make it very tight between the 'looping' hose and the outlet pipe from the throttlebody. Picture doesn't demonstrate this well, but the whole lot stays low and underneath the throttlebody whereas if you play loop-the-loop it all starts to get in the way as it has to come out, up and around.

Unfortunately I've never found a source to but these outlets new, Nissan advised NLA and various autobarn, supercheap, online enquiries haven't turned them up either, hence my trip to the wreckers. But, if you find a good one (as I did) then you pay $5 instead of what would be $40 for a new one anyway :mrgreen:

[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 pm 

i think if you used an rx4 radiator the outlets are on the same side as a ca18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:49 am 

Great, another good solution. In my case the radiator is already in good order, so no need to stump up for a new one when you can solve for the price of a Happy Meal :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 am 

Tadaima!

Tomorrow's job is to push it out, reogranise my unnecessarily large stash of garage stuff, and push back in again with room to move around it!

[ img ]