Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 am 

Firstly, I apologise for the Subject. But the truth is, I dont actually know what it is called.

I would like to know, what the hose coming up from behind the exhausts under the carbie, and connects into the intake manifold below the carbie.
This is also where the Valve Saver was being fed in.

Not long after purchasing the car (early 2013), we quickly found that something was not right. Turns out, the plate that had all these lines connected, was a bodge job put together with a thing bit of sheet, some plastic nipples and a hot glue gun. :?
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
20130318_143718.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 1604 times ]
So starting the car one morning quickly turned into a big mess.

In my panic, driven by the fact that I had no idea what this part exactly was, I proceeded to the workshop... :!:
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
20130318_151559.jpg [ 71.34 KiB | Viewed 1604 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
20130318_175058.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 1604 times ]
Couldn't find a nipple to suit, so I made one. :wink:
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
20130318_170813.jpg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 1604 times ]
And the result.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
20130318_175833.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 1604 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
20130318_175839.jpg [ 971.51 KiB | Viewed 1604 times ]
So to the point, my main questions are;

-What is this black hose?
-Does it need to be plumbed into where it is now?
-Is this the correct place to feed Valve Saver?
-What on Earth is supposed to be there anyway???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:50 am 

I realise this picture might also help.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
20130701_084503.jpeg [ 46.27 KiB | Viewed 1603 times ]
Thanks Guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:49 pm 

The large metal tube coming out behind the exhaust manifold is the block vent and is part of the PCV system. A hose should connect it to the PCV valve that is screwed into the intake. The PCV has a very small metered orifice that used intake vacuum to draw water and gas vapors and any combustion by-products that get past the rings from the crankcase. The PCV valve is also a one way valve with spring so the a back fire won't allow a flame back into the inside of the motor. The air removed from inside the motor is replaced by fresh air from the air filter through that hose and fitting on top of the L series valve cover. The PCV is essential for keeping vapors from condensing and diluting the oil. It keeps the motor insides cleaner and prolongs the time between oil changes.

BTW at full throttle often the blow by exceeds the small vacuum available and air pressure in the crank case forces air out the valve cover and directly into the air filter housing where the carb sucks it up. It's an ingenious system, simple, fool proof, needs very little maintenance and reduces gas and oil smells.

Now that bodged plate is to cover the hole left by removing the EGR manifold. With it gone there ids no where for the PCV to attach. At least the one you have made is reasonable, you should see the hack jobs over here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:07 pm 

Thanks for that! At least that puts everything into perspective with a wonderful visual too!

I cannot understand why you would even bother with such a bad job though!

The engine needs a rebuild as it is, now I'm starting to wondering if it has anything to do with this... :roll: