Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:06 pm 

hey guys,
i got rego the other day n was having a blast driving my lil 1600, until, i put my foot on the brakes and it went straight to the floor, the day after it passed the brake test for rego! i found out, the brakes would still work but i had to pump them once or twice to get sum pressure.
i have now bled them about 6 times in the past 2 days. and they still need a pump or two to get pressure. there is no leaks in my lines. i have bled them so many times because my dad kkeeps telling me that i must be doing a dodgy job and getting air in the lines. i have now perfected my brake bleeding :P so i know its not that!
please help! i want my datto bak! i am sposed to be on a date right now. damn brakes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:51 am 

If your sure your not loosing fluid try pulling the parking brake part way out. Then if the pedal is farther from the floor when you hit he brakes.(seems like its ok).
What it is, your back brakes are not self adjusting.

So behind the hub/plate(rear wheels) there is a threaded stub with like a square end on there 7mm i think. You will turn that IN to spread the brake pads on the top to make up for loss brake pad matierial.Turn it in untill you fell its grabbiing then back off a bit.

(Get a manual)

But be carful no to strip it out. Those are lame(use a good wrench). On one car mine was striped out so I had my old man weld a nut on to it(like a 12/14mm) and i put anti seize compond on there to keep it from rusting.

But it was good then went bad all of a sudden? Then its something else
Make sure its not leaking a wheel cylinder?If leaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:44 am 

thnx for the reply!
i forgot to mention, i adjusted the drums to make sure they were right.
i can pump up the pressure, then leave my foot on the pedal and it doesnt go down, so no leaks? but as soon as i take my foot off the pedal again, the brakes won't work until they r pumped once or twice.
dad thought it might have something to do with the proprtioning valve, which gives the rear pressure before the front. but we cant find much info on this.
does my master cylinder need a rebuild?
thanks fellas!
john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:45 am 

Somepeople say bleed the master cylinder to itself. But I never done it and my brakes work OK.