Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:20 pm 

My datto (200B) was given to me by my dad, who had brought it brand new...nothin like gettin a car thats 26years old and you know its entire history! Yeah, i was on my L's and had my dad in the car so no hard driving, but now got my p's and been modding it as i get the money and i love every bit of it :lol:

Once thought of it as a shitbox but since earned respect from personal experience and all the stories i hear of the ol dattos...can't beat em...and with all my friends bagging it out, i just sit here quietly amused of the day when the L20B turbo goes in and shits all over their commonwhores.

Recommended Traders: Datsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:02 pm 

I went for a little drive and then sat in my garage playing and finding all the nitty gritty that could easily be fixed. Just let it all happen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:16 am 

Im yet to experience my first day. I bought my 1600 in feb but it still isn't home yet, it went straight to the panel beaters. It comes home next saturday. All straight and neat, with a fresh new coat of paint (WR blue). Then the fun starts, everything has to go back in.
But i cant wait for the very first day its home, i dunno what im gonna do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:35 pm 

I bought my first 1600 in 1984. It was a fairly stock '71 with a few horribles like a home made centre console, Morey Haigh gauges and Air Shocks in the back! :shock: (Think about what an IRS rear looks like when you pump those up!)

I took it home, and found every conceivable excuse to go driving that night, till I'd run out of petrol. :)

The next night, the GF and I worked out the necessary proceedures and placements in order to officially "break the car in". :twisted: (I was much younger and more flexible in those days!)

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:54 pm 

talkn about gettn GF in the bak seat
Friday nite, all was running well
went with GF to a mates house who had a few people around
he just happened to live up greenhill road so i had a bit of fun with the new turbo on its first hills run, but thats besides the point
GF gettin bored of my mates so we sneak out to the car, get her in the back seat
she wasnt overly keen on the club lock jammed in her back or the half full stinkin petrol can on the floor but i she was startn to adapt
All of a sudden all my mates come running at us with torches and even spotlights screeming their lungs off.. Now i know how the rabbit feels when its sittin in the middle of the road simply hating life!
Lessons learned for the future
P.s. Bluebird + Turbo + Hills = Fun
Bluebird + Turbo + Hills + GF = Not as fun

S2 TRX: SuckThru Turbo: RETIRED
MR30 Hatch: Daily Driver: SOLD
720 King Cab: Daily Driver V2: SOLD

Post subject: caught on camera
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:31 pm 

i guy i know... not me got his from the other side of perth. when drivin it back down the main freeway "he" got pulled over by a very confused looking cop on a bike.
asked me hhhmmm... Him, what he thought he was doing, the young led quickly replied
"well, it just wont do 100, im trying to get up to speed but it wont budge past 90".
the officer the proceeded to stick his head in and take a closer look....
Sure enough the problem was found.... it only hit 90mph.
love those 1971 Mph speedos. save "his" liscence on P's, i will never forget that day :oops: :lol:

my shrinking garage is down to.....
2x 1600s
1x GQ Tray back
1x 300ZX
1x FZR600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:03 pm 

On the gf note, never had a problem as bad as Wak910, lmao, I gotta admit thats a classic...but anyway, we discovered that while the backseat in a 200B is quite comfortable, it lacks space and headroom, and the centre console can be a real pain in the arse...oh and it Really sucks when its raining and you have a leaking back window...But quite possibily the best moments was trying to take her home with the car completly fogged up and no demister :twisted:

Recommended Traders: Datsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:15 pm 

looks like everyone is having fun in their datsuns.......and not just under the hood. :lol: i spose what ever way you can enjoy it gooooooooo for it....

graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:57 pm 

my first day...i cleaned it and then smoked it up. A12s aren't too bad... once they get going on a damp carpark :D

that was my first taste of a 1200.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:11 pm 

Seems like alot of people like "wet parking" :lol:
My first 1600 delivered to me was the realisation of a childhood dream! I waited 10 years and worked 4 years for the moment. First night, a nice drive up one of our local mountains with the spouse.

She didnt like it much at first, until we kept getting a lot of young fellas waving, and generally vocalising acceptance of the vehicle. The day I sold her was a misery.

Now, Ive had to get her an auto model! Picking up the blue baby from Sydney after a shipping down from Cairns made our eyes water... she was covered in grot from the trip, and looked like a poor old sad thing.

Day One! drive back to canberra... no mechanical probs what so ever... quite perky for an L16 :D
Day Two! remove front grill, head light surrounds and polish like a nut! Polish bumpers, while she got busy on the interior with a good headliner clean, and sewin up those torn seats.
Day Three! she finally started to look like something I would own and be proud of.

Still to go... whitewall tyres, new carpet, cane hat and tissues in back window :roll:

Ciao!
Ivan

*1970 Datsun 1600 - L16 3sp BW Auto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:36 pm 

my first day was great i went to pick it up with my dad and he drove it home. only 16 and wasn't too sure about me driving while it had 4 bald original tyres and hadn't been used for about 6 months. but it was free. got rid of the cobwebs inside and off we went. it was a slow drive home as it had a bit of a fit being run, we stopped in at a servo pumped up the tyres put in some newer fuel got her home. that day i took some photos and then i cleaned her out. and then saved my pennies for my mags.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:34 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Well I got my first Datsun when I was 14, so I couldn't drive it home myself. It had no rego and it looked pretty dodgy, so naturally a family friend bought some rego plates over and we drove it the 4km or so home. When it came out of the shed it was parked in, I realised that the drivers' side of the car (the only one I had seen at this point) was the 'good' side. Never mind, we'll drive it home anyway! Then a friend came over, we gave it a good clean inside and out, revved it up and then I parked it at the bottom of the driveway where it had to live.

I was on school holidays at this point, and the next morning I woke up, looked outside my room and realised it hadn't been a dream, and was informed by my mother shortly afterwards that I had better start fixing it up, otherwise it was 'going'.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:41 pm 

Dave wrote:
On the second day of Datsun 1600 ownership (my first car), I drove my pride and joy to work.

I then discovered that I couldn't lock the front doors !!!!

Couldn't let my baby get stolen - what to do ??? :idea: Pull the plug leads and dizzy cap off and take them into work with me.

Only problem was that I took the leads off the cap first, and when I went to put it back together after work I couldn't work out what leads went where. A couple of hours later, after ringing dad and borrowing a workshop manual from the library, it was all back together and running again.

Worked out late that night (after dismantling the doors to work out what was wrong) that you can only lock the doors from the outside with the key while the door is shut. I had been trying to push the inside door lock knob down with the door open.........
Mate you realise you can lock the door by putting the tab down and holding the door handle open as you shut it. Well you can on the 180b anyway not sure about 1600

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:45 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Same with a 200B.

Just in passing too, about the whole girlfriend, back seat thing. Wait until you try in the back of an RX-7! Then tell me that a Datsun isn't roomy enough!

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:30 pm 
Old Digger

My first was a 1600. What a day :D. Picked her up on Friday after school with some mates for $500. Bugger all rust L16 and stock everything. Drove it home unlicensed at redline in 1st and 2nd valve bouncing all the way. Could not blow the L16 up. Got it home and full resto started on the weekend and lasted for 2 years.