Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm 

Hey guys,

I've rebuilt my entire front end as well as managed to score a "rebuild" steering box (how well rebuilt is the question) came via ebay ages ago with a receipt I can't find but it was a reputable steering place in sydney

I've also replaced;

Reco datsport collapsible steering column
New ball joints
new tie Rod Ends
New idler arm assembly
new steering drag link
Car also has a datsport steering box brace

Everything is all tight and triple checked everything

I've tightened the steer box as much as I can but I still feel it has too much free play. I've checked lock to lock and it has no binding what so ever but I can't seem to tighten it further without using what I'd consider force that shouldn't be required!

With wheels on the ground if I center or move the wheel to any position lock to lock to can then give the wheel a little wobble and I get 3.5 cm movement measured at the steering (13 inch steering wheel with centre marker) before I see visible movement at the wheels

having a mate move the steering the uni joint at the end of the column moves as expected with even the slightest move of the steering wheel as expected but seems like a delay with the input into and out of the steering box.

Is this too much???? I'm taking that this would give the car very poor steering as the driver would tend to be making too much adjustment for minor in lane adjustments on the road

Maybe over thinking this as my 1600 has been off the road a long time! so I don't know what good steering on a 1600 feels like

Thanks

Swanny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:11 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Last time i adjusted a steering box it was easily over adjusted so that it binded when turning. If yours doesnt have this amount of adjustment it may be worn internally.
There is pics and more info on the forum somewhere of the internals.
IMO they are not easily reconditioned so it may have a worn gear inside.
Id try another steering box...