Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: z18et/z20et q's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:17 am 

ok so i have a rebuilt z20 and was thinking of turboing it for a stanza track car. so my questions are
1.can the z18et be a good track and autocross motor or would be better just to go ka24de and not look back.
2. has anyone done a twin scroll z18 or z20
3.ive read about a 300hp(i think) z18et in a 1600 with a gt30(i think) how hard is it to get good response(does anyone know that car and when he is spooling) and torque at that power rating and that turbo size. gt30 seems like a big turbo for the little z18.
4. how much hp did george fury make i know he ran like 36 psi(i think) but not hp
5. has there been a high comp turbo z18
6. what whp or psi are stock rods with arp bolts good for.
7. what kind of power should i expect with a z20 with some porting and a fury cam with a gt28 turbo on a ka24e manifold with stock intake and s13 throttlebody 370cc or 550cc injectors tuned on megasquirt at 20 psi. i was hoping for about 230-250hp and above 200wtq with around a 3000rpm spool if thats possible.
any help much apperciated. thanks.

Post subject: Re: z18et/z20et q's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:45 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

a10wagon wrote:
ok so I have a rebuilt z20 and was thinking of turboing it for a stanza track car. so my questions are
1.can the z18et be a good track and autocross motor or would be better just to go ka24de and not look back.
2. has anyone done a twin scroll z18 or z20
3.ive read about a 300hp(I think) z18et in a 1600 with a gt30(I think) how hard is it to get good response(does anyone know that car and when he is spooling) and torque at that power rating and that turbo size. gt30 seems like a big turbo for the little z18.
4. how much hp did george fury make I know he ran like 36 psi(I think) but not hp
5. has there been a high comp turbo z18
6. what whp or psi are stock rods with arp bolts good for.
7. what kind of power should I expect with a z20 with some porting and a fury cam with a gt28 turbo on a ka24e manifold with stock intake and s13 throttlebody 370cc or 550cc injectors tuned on megasquirt at 20 psi. I was hoping for about 230-250hp and above 200wtq with around a 3000rpm spool if thats possible.
any help much apperciated. thanks.

1. Yes ive tracked mine for a couple of years and its been a good engine

2. Not that I know off but it could be done

3. Gt30 will be laggy unless you go twinscroll with a correctly designed manifold

4. It was around 400hp but that was only in qualifying trim

5. Not from factory

6. Im using l18 crank and rods so not sure bout z rods

7. My z18 is making 170rwkw (230hp at the wheels) on 17psi with standard inlet manifold,ka24 throttle body, t3 turbo on custom exhaust manifold,1000cc injectors and m3x ecu.

Hope this sheds some light for you if you have any more questions fire away :)

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:41 pm 

The Z20e rods are longer length than L20b rods unlike Honda rods on B and D series engines
the nissan rods are very good quality and much beefier and yet the B and D series engines
can handle 300 and 250 hp on stock spaghetti sized rods and less than ideal rod stroke ratio.

I would just get the rods prepped the usual way and use ARP rods bolts to suit and keep the
assembly below 7500rpm for durability as the Z20e has very good rod stroke ratio but Baz
would know better about this block than most and can give you some pointers as I think
he also has a HKS manifold to suit the Z or L series heads, of course the L series heads
are better units for any performance work boosted or not but the Zs can do well with boost.

Not sure on the Z20 crank been full counterweight but the L18 and L20b cranks are and better
quality than the Z24 cranks which are 100% non full counterweight cranks.

Cause your aiming for 200-250hp at the wheels with a 2liter with as little lag as possible you
arent expecting too much out of your engine so could make that with stock internals providing
your tuning is spot on from the start to minimize any wear or damage.

E85 could be your best friend too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:58 am 

1. Yes ive tracked mine for a couple of years and its been a good engine

6. Im using l18 crank and rods so not sure bout z rods

7. My z18 is making 170rwkw (230hp at the wheels) on 17psi with standard inlet manifold,ka24 throttle body, t3 turbo on custom exhaust manifold,1000cc injectors and m3x ecu.

Hope this sheds some light for you if you have any more questions fire away :)[/quote]

thanks for the great replies but i do have a few more newb questions. have you had to rebuild it at all since tracking the engine. if so how far apart are the rebuild intervals.are using stock pistons or aftermarket also what size t3 are you running. are you on a stock distributor or converted to ca18 or similiar cas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:12 am 

d wrote:
The Z20e rods are longer length than L20b rods unlike Honda rods on B and D series engines
the nissan rods are very good quality and much beefier and yet the B and D series engines
can handle 300 and 250 hp on stock spaghetti sized rods and less than ideal rod stroke ratio.

I would just get the rods prepped the usual way and use ARP rods bolts to suit and keep the
assembly below 7500rpm for durability as the Z20e has very good rod stroke ratio but Baz
would know better about this block than most and can give you some pointers as I think
he also has a HKS manifold to suit the Z or L series heads, of course the L series heads
are better units for any performance work boosted or not but the Zs can do well with boost.

Not sure on the Z20 crank been full counterweight but the L18 and L20b cranks are and better
quality than the Z24 cranks which are 100% non full counterweight cranks.

Cause your aiming for 200-250hp at the wheels with a 2liter with as little lag as possible you
arent expecting too much out of your engine so could make that with stock internals providing
your tuning is spot on from the start to minimize any wear or damage.

E85 could be your best friend too.

thanks for the great reply. my plan for the rods is shot peening arp bolts and cryo treating them is that the usual prep required for z rods? you mentioned revving to 7500 rpm will the head last at that rpm on stock valve springs or are stiffer ones required. ive heard that z engines dont like to rev past 5500 and then valve float and the head stops flowing good. ive also heard that z heads do really well with a port and polish since stock they are left pretty rough. using e85 could i skim the head and use diffrent pistons to up compression to say 10 to 1 for better spool. i should also mention im using a 4 plug round port head if there is any diffrence between the 8 plug z18 head. thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:18 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Apart from changing the head gasket once I haven't touched the bottom end in 8+ years. Im using l20 acl pistons on l18 rod's and ignition side of things im no longer running a dizzy but have 4 ls1 coils with custom crank and cam triggers driven through the megasquirt im also running E85. Turbo is just the standard one highflowed im going to change it to a gtx2863rs once funds permit :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:49 pm 

Not sure what the fella above revvs to but for anything over the factory rpm and due to the age of the engine new valve springs to suit the rpm you are aiming for is a good idea and you can get more compression using flat top pistons rather than skimming the head which gives you less rebuild option in case you need to change head gaskets and keep skimming it to suit the new ones.

e85 might like the extra spark plug any know????

Last edited by d on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:56 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Rev to 7g so far ls1 coils have been fine using inlet side only plugs on E85 with an 8 plug head.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:52 am 

I've got some z18et parts that may help you out. I have a rebuild dizzy and a factory z18et exhaust manifold and turbo, the turbos antique so useless. But the manifold is good.

On my z18et I had in my ute, it was built up using Stewart Wilkins motorsports parts, to which were of good quality. I was using a stock rb25 turbo and running waste gate pressure. I used he stock intake manifold with cleaned and flow tested z18et injectors. The only mod I did with the manifold was use a mid/late 90's pulsar throttle body bolted to the lower portion of the flange and had a sheet of alloy sandwiched between to block the upper portion. I also enlarged the throat of the mani to accommodate the extra diameter the new tb had.

Microtech ran the fuel timing and I had a modified l20 electronic dizzy looking after ignition timing.

Engine was tuned to 98 and ran very well in my 720.

I also used to own a George fury z18et exhaust manifold from back in the racing days, was a super light equal length tube manifold with a 40mm waste gate flange hanging off it, was a prized possession of mine. Ended up selling it to a Norwegian bloke who had built a 910 into a near copy of the 910 raced here in aus. So I was happy to sell it to him. Downfall was it fouled on the steering so he couldn't use it. Might still be in circulation now. He's contactable via aussiebluebirds forum if you're keen.

He was running a z24 however and the torque produced was awesome he said, so you z20 should meet somewhere In the middle.

Pm me if I can help with parts. I have ecu's and loom and all sorts laying around.

Good luck, sounds exciting.