Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: GK's 1970 Datsun 1600
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:47 pm 

Hi All,

It's been a few years since I've ventured into Datto territory but I have finally decided to pull my finger out and get back amongst it! Having been brought up around motorsport, rallying in particular, since I was a youngster, I've always had a soft spot for Datsuns. My first ever car back in about 1990ish (geez that makes me feel like an old fart) was a '69 1600 that went through a few guises, from stock, then L18 and then on to an FJ20. I also had a stock auto 71 model as a daily driver back in the early 2000's. These two have since been sold a number of years ago.

While cleaning out the garage this weekend, I had my own sort of barn find. I say sort of because I didn't actually find it, I have always known its been sitting there gathering dust etc, but I've had other things on the go so the poor old girl has just been locked away to be saved for a rainy day so to speak. After about 8 years in mothballs, she has been allowed out into the light of day.

So, on to the finer details. It's a 1970, manual stocker that is in quite reasonable original condition. As far as I'm aware, it had only had two owners prior to me. The odometer is showing approximately 52,000 miles. While I can't be 100% sure it hasn't been around the clock, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a genuine 52K based on the overall condition of the rest of the car. The body isn't immaculate in that it has had a repair to the right rear quarter during its life and there is some other minor dents around the vehicle from normal use. I haven't completely stripped everything out of the car to look everywhere but there only appears to be minimal rust, mainly confined to the spare wheel well.

Long term plans, I would like to do a full restoration keeping it fairly original and I have been hoarding away a few bits and pieces such as new badges, new tail lights, eye brow trims etc. for when this time comes. It will definitely be staying as an L Series, perhaps with a few period modifications. At this stage though, the plan is just to get it back up and running and on the road again so I can get some enjoyment out of it.

To get it up and running again, I will need to pretty much replace the whole braking system as it all looks to be original and probably isn't much chop after the car has been sitting for the last 8 years, not to mention the fact that much of it is probably 44 years old like the rest of the car. I'll most likely need to replace suspension bushes, tie rods, ball joints, strut inserts and rear shocks. Having not played around with Datto's for the past 10 years or so, is anyone aware of any shops in Perth that tend to be better for this sort of stuff for older vehicles? I see that Datsport seems to be still going. Maybe it would be easier if I just speak to them and get them to send me over the whole box and dice? The motor might need a bit of a freshen up too after sitting for so long but that will be last on the agenda at ths stage.

Anyhow, enough of my rambling. Here's a few pics from when I pulled it out of the garage yesterday and gave it a quick once over with the hose.

Cheers,

Graham.

Just a bit of leaf litter on the roof
[ img ]

Some dust build up

[ img ]

More dust and leaves

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

After quickly going over it with the hose and a sponge I was surprised how well it came up!

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:25 am 

I'd be bleeding those brakes and driving it! I've never actually seen a Datsun in such good or original condition in all my years....
The green holds a special place too.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:22 am 

Wow mate that is neat

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:21 pm 

I like the original colour too. If/when I get around to doing some body work on it, I plan to keep it the original Ascot green. Its still got the original paint sticker on the radiator support panel. I wonder if there's anyway to preserve the sticker if I was to give the car a full repaint? Maybe I could get a replacement made up based on the original sticker? Now I'm just getting too far ahead of myself!

While I would love to just bleed the brakes and go for spin, I have a feeling that would end in tears and I don't want to risk that happening. Besides, it's not currently registered and most of the stuff I mentioned will probably need to be done to pass rego and get it back on the road again anyway.

I'm now trying to decide if its worth doing some upgrading of the brakes now or if I should just replace everything with standard items for the time being. I suppose in the interests of safety it's probably worthwhile at least putting in a dual circuit master cylinder at this stage. Maybe I will need to fit some upgraded parts if I can't get rebuild kits etc for the standard calipers etc?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:50 pm 

Wow that is awesome. Amazing that the body is in such great condition too.

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:27 pm 

Very nice!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:23 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

mileage looks correct judging by its condition...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:52 pm 

Hi Graham,

She is a beauty. I am doing a fairly simillar resto to my 69.

As far as shops get in contact with Rob at Ringwood Auto parts (I should be his agent) but cannot speak highly enough of him. I purchased all my tie rods, ball joints, bushes, steering components. Actually i have some ball joints and some bushes if you need them ( mine were 68/early 69 ball joints 12mm not the 14mm).
Also ebay and gumtree are your friends, i found a set of brand new original brake rotors for $20...the classified forum as well.

I purchased some ryder springs and have some monroe shocks, nothing fancy but suited to the application. I have replaced brake lines with braided units from the states.

Looking forward to seeing it come along!
Gareth

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:45 pm 

Thanks for the tips Gareth. I had noticed Ringwood have been advertising Datsun bits and pieces on ebay for a number of years.

I just had a quick look at your thread and it looks like it's coming along nicely. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get mine running and registered so we can have a mini WA meet, or at least go for a stocko Datsun cruise somewhere anyway.

Cheers,
Graham

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:53 pm 

By the looks of things it should be a breeze to get it over the pits. The only thing i was picked up on was exposed rust, they then require it to be welded no filler. So i guess you could fill it to get it over, then do the body work at your leisure i guess ( if it needs that much that is), the other thing for me was a couple of leaks and deteriorating brake lines. i am on 90k Miles which is probably about right for me i think.

Would be great to get together for a drive once they both up! Where in perth are you?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:10 pm 

I don't think rust will be a problem over the pits. Well fingers crossed it wont be anyway. Probably just brake lines/hoses and maybe a slight oil leak or two. Not sure whether to pay for a permit and get an inspection done as is now and then just replace/fix what they pick up on, or if I should replace what I think is necessary first before fronting up. I haven't taken a car over the pits for quite a few years so not too sure what they're like these days. Personally, I would be happier having replaced the brakes and a few other bits and pieces before fronting up for the inspection. But in all honesty, I would imagine they would have to pick you on something given that the car is 44 years old.

I currently live SOR, Como/Manning area. How about yourself?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:31 am 

Should be a breeze then.........hopefully! The only problem with paying for an inspection is that once its on file it has to be fixed.. I would pick and choose who you go to for inspections, I can get a name for you for you if like but they will be around Wangara.

I was surprised at how little they picked up on mine really and it was a pig to drive, would sway all over the place under braking due to bushes.

I am NOR, duncraig/hamersley area.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:46 pm 

glad to see you kept one! been a while thats for sure. its in pretty good nick, was a good move putting it away in garage like that. good luck.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:54 am 

Hey Graham,

Great to hear you are back on the scene.
I was the guy that picked up your old ex FJ20 shell.
I passed it on to another datsun tragic who has completed an amazing restoration. It is now running L seriers with webbers and took out (for memory) best 510 at last years Datsun Day in Sydney.

As for you current one, I totally agree with previous comments about keeping it original.
Honest original ones are very far and few between these days.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:04 pm 

Hi Graeme,

Good to hear from you. And also to find out that my old shell has been put to good use. Would love to see some pics of the transformation if you know of any online or have any you could share with me. Turning that one back into a more original version with a weber'd L series is what I had planned but it didn't eventuate due to a number of reasons, the final straw being me moving to Perth.

After finally pulling my finger out to get back into it, I wasnt sure where the place was to get back in the loop with whats happening in the Datsun world. I have noticed that forum traffic has somewhat reduced from a number of years ago, both here and elsewhere. I assume that this may be due to Facebook? But if you dig deep enough, it appears that there is still a very healthy Datto scene. It's just a pity that its all all on the east coast!

I'm feeling a little torn with the current car. I would like to keep it all original. But then I would also like to have one with some "period" modifications so I can use it in some track days. Something along the lines of a nice torquey L series with webers, upgraded brakes and suspension but generally looking fairly original on the exterior.

I think the best solution to this would be to get a bigger garage and buy a second car to mod. Does anyone know someone who has a reasonably tidy L series powered 1600 in WA that they would like to sell?