Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:48 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

hey all

just trying to replace my diff and noticed that the left rear axle shaft has a small amount of play between the half shaft side and the wheel side.

probably only a mm or two at most when you turn one side and hold the other. the driver side has no play at all.

is it possible to just undo the lock axle nut, tighten it up a bit and that may fix the problem (or replace nut and make tighter the new nut) or would there perhaps be another drama going on in there? like the axle spline and the flange not matting up well? not sue how that could happen.

there is no end play when you push or pull, just turning play. they were replaced about 8 years ago and I've probably only done 20k km's on them and I'm a pretty easy driver.

whatever the problem is I probably should just undo the nut and take out the axle and have a look?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:48 pm 

I would definitely take the axle out and see where the play is.
Sounds like it would be the bearings.

Bearing are cheap and easy to replace. It is you best option.

Should be only a 1 hr job to change the bearings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:03 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I had a closer inspection this morning in better light and it's probably only half a mm turn between the axle and flange side.

but I cant see that being the bearings after thinking about it. I really think this is play in the spline area of the axle.

I cant fix that now and need the car on the road whilst I hunt for a new daily so i'll just have to live with it for now, suss it out a bit better in a couple weeks and probably hunt for a new axle and flange. doubt there are any new ones floating around anymore.

anyone got any spare?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:36 pm 

In rallying we found the bearing housing would stretch with the standard 1600 swing arms after some heavy duty work out over long term. The wheel would have play when you grabbed it at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Some had tried to reinforce the swing arms, but I think all the welding and heating does more damage than good.
The answer was to use 240k swing arms - bearing housing is already reinforced, bolts straight in and only needs the shockie mount changed (cutting, welding) and has the advantage of a slightly wider track.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

no play in the axle housing. its all play when turning the axle flange and stub axle, one in each hand, so it does seem like spline wearing out. seems weird that that could happen on an under powered car but that 's all I can think of until I get the stub axle out in the near future to see if that's the problem.

will be hard to find an axle flange set.