Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 120y the mandarin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:45 pm 

hi crew, im a west ozzie whos just picked up a datto 120y as a second runabout. just had to have it.
full rebuild 10k ago ( apparently) looks to me all new except for the block. no leaks or oil consumption smoke
new head, bottom end, intake manifold, extractors 2inch. nice clean gearbox makes me think linkages have been replaced.
new radiator and upgraded thermo fan. is loud on idle but keeps it all cool. new ignition.
mags, pedders suspension..
[ img ]

[ img ]

now i didnt just come on here to boast about my 1700 dollar datsun lol, like all it has a couple of problems that i want to adress.
its last owner gibbit its good share of beating so the diff is clunking fairly bad and the aircleaner is cracked on the bottom and sikaflexed up (nice!)
and something is broken in the carby causing a bit of a dead patch in low rpms and a terror cold.. gave it to local mechanic who specializes in older cars and he reccomended sending the carby to get rebuilt. thaught you guys might have another option or approach? can i put a bigger/different carby on it? also the dizzy, ive been pointed towards and electronic one instead? im happy to drop a few bucks on the datto as i plan to keep it for loong time! haha.. will do the body and a nice paint eventually.. thinking rotary or sr conversion? and discs brakes.. lol
so yeah, im here looking for inspiration and options and to see what you guys have done with your dattos.. im expecting to see some wild rides!

aaand btw.. my other car is an 06 sti impreza going through a full transormation.. new motor, bodykit and carbon fibre. but plenty of time to talk about that one too
look forward to chatting and fending off all your local forum trolls ;)

Post subject: Re: 120y the mandarin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:06 pm 
Guru

It would probably run a lot sweeter with an electronic ignition but the stock points can be made to be quite reliable especially if it is just a street driver.
As for the carb. I had similar problems with my B120 ute and here is what I did: -
Found a re-build kit on eBay to suit.
Fairly easy to DIY, just make sure you dissemble it over a tray to catch the screws and tiny ball bearings used as valves.
I believe the main problem was the accelerator pump. With new seals in that it behaved a lot better.
Also the choke cable might need attention.
Mine was not adjusted correctly and was also VERY stiff to operate.
Took it right out and flushed it with carb. cleaner.
It was all gunked up and binding.
I dosed it up with WD-40 spray and re-fitted it as per the Manual and cold starts are now much more civilised.
It is also very important to have valve clearances, points gap/dwell and timing adjusted correctly.
Adjust the idle mixture when the engine is at operating temperature and use a vacuum gauge to determine the correct setting.
OEM Manual for the A10 and A12 Engines: -
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/elauc1 ... %20Engines

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:22 pm 

i reckon your pretty bang on there mate with accelerator pump being stuffed. just checking if it was worth rebuilding or if there was an option to use a different one.. and the choke is as you say, very stiff.. will be giving that a self service as you explained. cheers for that! anyways, i wont ask too many questions straight up n do a bit of reading

as for the ignition, the points look a bit average, will give them a little clean. prob not worth messing with as it generally runs pretty good.. starts 1st kick, idles well.. fine on song.. cool old car as it is

Last edited by drewgong on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 pm 
Guru

There are repro carbs. for the A12 on eBay now and then, but a re-build kit is fairly cheap.
I'd try that first.
Happy reading :)

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:36 pm 

cheers for pointing me in the right direction mate.. this is the go hey? i think it deserves it!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-NISSA ... 4897.l4275

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:40 pm 
Guru

Well,if you have the coin to spare, it should do the job.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 am 

on its way.. fit it n fershen up the chokes as you said.. give the dizzy a quick once over too as the points dont looks crap, but they could do with a clean. should be about it with any luck.. electronic ones obviously considered overkill in such a pea motor.. i understand not to pour buckets on the ancient 1.2, but i still dont mind licking it up to good shape.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:21 pm 

this fit?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electronic-D ... 603&_uhb=1

should it be ok with my bosch gt40 12v ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:44 pm 
Guru

Looks the beez neez :)
The coil should be OK too.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:23 pm 

aaawy yeeeeah! heheh dizzy on its way then too.. japan order could take a while but looks pretty flash. cleaned the choke up too.. as you said... gunky as.. refitted, adjusted.. works like new.. shakes head at how people let it come to that... soo dirty and neglected it just stops.. haha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:43 pm 

heres my other chitty and pretty much the reason i have the datsun.

[ img ]

[ img ]
roo has claimed its motor and is currently getting motor rebuild on insurance.. also has full facelift in process including ings+1 bodykit with front canards, chargespeed wing, carbon mirrors, and rally underbody guard amongst things. has a bit of suspension work, minor intake stuff, cusco engine gearbox mounts with a stage 3 racing exedy clutch. so yeah, ive got a money pit thats about to hit a stage were its not a daily, hence step in the datto.. just going to make it clean and reliable and add some flair to it my own way. so nice having an open engine bay too lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:53 am 

new moulded burguny carpet on its way... jazz up interior a bit as its stringy carpet and ancient rotten underlay stinks of grandmas good nights

http://www.tstcarpets.com.au/moulded_car_carpet.html

click shopping.. needs a set of mirrors too.. undecided, must be chrome..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:32 am 

spark plug.. i was going to just pop one out and take it to the shop as an example.. suggestions of a mega plug? or see what auto one throws at me?

installation says..
"The amount you increase your spark plug gap depends on the rest of your ignition system. If the converted distributor and the 12-volt coil (with ballast resistor bypassed or removed) are the only ignition system modifications, your new specification for the spark plug gap is 0.039” to
0.043”. "

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:48 pm 

carby arrived quick.. yay 4 express!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:30 pm 

been busy doing body work.. clear coat estting so time to attack this motor.. i have the electronic dizzy, seems all easy enough will electrical diagrams to suit datto 120y provided. the spark plugs are ngk iridium 9's and i need to adjust gaps first.. easy enough.. any traps with this or things to look out for? also the carby is missing a hole for what seems to be a sensor of some sort.. the sensor looks like an overgrown knitting needle but new carby has no spot for it.. what is it and is it essential? if nobody knows what im on about ill sort pics tomorrow.. also my subie is deceased now.. kangaroo.. insurance.. new one.. another 06 sti. forged motor yada yada but im still im the garage working on the mandarin!