Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:48 pm 

Hey Guys and Gals.

Gonna look into the idea of stealing your grey matter for a little bit, I have been looking into the idea and all over the google machine for some info and progress shots but, they are mostly OLD as hell!! And no longer active links etc.

From what i have read and who i have chatted to, the conversion is fairly straight forward. Just looking to chat to some folk that have done the deed and pick their brain meats for a bit about the nitty gritty aspects to the conversion.

Hope to chat soon.

REI600

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:13 am 

Talk to a Qld Tpt approved certifier/engineer, the bloke that issues you the blue plate.
Keep him informed as to your plans.
It'll require disc rears with a mechanical handbrake, and more than likely better front brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:05 pm 

yeah, i have done that. That side of things is easy. I have been talking to Lindsay Stone about this little idea of mine. The perfect dude to chat to as he run a rotar and used to help with the "Dazda" rally cars back in the day.

Basic list of requirements:

Has to have the same or equivalent brakes as to what was on the car the engine came out of. (disc front and rear)
Mechanical E-BRAKE - as with all legal road going cars
Suspension - has to keep the car on the road -- the front end will be a different weight so, has to be taken into account.
Has to be an "inline" pressure relief system for the turbo gases -- no stinky noise BOV
Has to meet the emissions at the time the engine was put on road - both noise and GAS

Stuff like that.

I am more after the nitty dritty bizzNATS of fitting the engine and box... The things people cannot plan for until they're holding an engine and box in place :)