Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:49 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

anyone had experience with diff chatter in one of these.

I noticed it when spinning the wheels in the wet, this god awful judder/chatter (thought the rear end was falling out). doesn't seem to do it when turning in tight turns though or driving normally. Im not usually needing to spin my wheels but...it just happened :)

previous owner had a rebuild done. should there be a bed in period where this will go away? is it common or worth doing anything about?

I have nulon LSD oil in it.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:32 am 

It's not rear axle chatter is it? My 1600 does it too and I've allways out it down to that. I think getting the rite shocks in the rear can fix this. I'm running a subi r180 with a suretrac center btw.

1971 1600, mild L18, 5 speed

All I want is less to do, more time to do it and higher pay for not getting it done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:18 am 

Hey mate is it a standard centre? I ask this because i have a kaaz centre in my r200 and they are very chattery because the clutch packs grab so hard or it could have been shimmed hard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:26 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

pretty sure its all standard center but not sure how it was setup last.

I don't think it's tramp as it didn't do this when I had an open center.

it kinda felt like the right wheel was spinning and the left was chattering. but that's only how it felt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:30 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Like sutho said ive also found a factory clutch pack if rebuilt tighter (with thicker friction discs etc) will be harsher as it takes more to 'slip'. Check the break away torque of the centre and compare it to factory specs...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

ok so its kind of normal. I really thought if they are spinning up they would both be spinning up together, especially in the wet.

anyway I can live with that. I don't need to go around spinning wheels everywhere unless I'm at the drags warming up the gearbox and diff oil. but that wont happen again soon.

not sure I can be bothered taking the diff out to check the breakaway torque. I did overfill the diff by about 3-400ml! I filled it out of the car then just checked after this saga to get it right. not sure that would make a difference though.

cheers peeps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:44 am 

It should'nt make those chatter noises while spinning the wheels cause the clutchpacks should be engaged (or locked) it should only really make them while cornering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:33 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

thanks sutho
maybe I didn't give it enough welly and they were finding a bit of grip. doubtful though. i'll do some tight turns in a carpark soon and see if i can hear anything. also a track day next month should help identify anything.