Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Tuning For CA Turbo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:09 pm 

Hey Fellas

Anyone know where in Sydney I can find a tuner that actually enjoys tuning cars instead of taking your money and not giving you a second look. Someone whose very good with CA'S preferably, has customer service ethics in mind excluding Unigroup, Jem, Or Micks Motorsports. My CA cracked 341 at the wheels recently and I need this tune restored without the arrogance of these tuners in Sydney. I lost the power because i now have had the second fuel pressure regulator fail. First one was turbosmart 1200 and then a Saard. I never had problems with my Malpasi and these idiots recommended I get rid of it because it wasn't consistent

I also heard there are many Chinese versions of these brands getting around. It has now cost me two tunes. I just made sure I purchased another Saard but one from Japan. I need a tuner that cares about the cars he tunes and actually gives a Sh!t about his customers instead of flipping out and throwing crap around a workshop like a prehistoric ape. Yes, this is a well known tuner right here in Sydney and well recognised in the racing industry and like anyone I need to keep my car and my self away from D23kheads like this. Nobody needs them.

Open to all suggestions gentleman

Cheers fellas
Pete

Post subject: Re: Tuning For CA Turbo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:45 pm 

I know how you feel. Have had bad dealings with a few - particularly iDyno on the Central Coast who has the same personality issues from laziness (in 7 months he charged $4500 to sit an engine on a crossmember), spiteful additude and unclear on information and advice. Usually the advice is to buy something through the tuner for them to fit...

I've had many good reports on DVS Jez in Somersby. He is a massive enthusiast and outstanding customer service. He particularly works with RB26s but his knowledge extends to Falcons/Commodores and other Nissan varieties including CA & SR. I haven't yet had my cars tuned by him yet but he is my first point of call. I have had a fair few friends who have had drift cars tuned by him and he goes to the extent of making small details like cold start work properly. Expect a one month wait though as he is always booked.

Tuners are definitely few and far between - and how much they charge is never equivalent to the quality of work.

Best tips I can offer for a good tuner is that they should have a good mechanical understanding. I've met one who doesn't have mechanical understanding, he can push great figures but can't fault find. A good tuner should also do leak tests on the vacuum system, compression tests on cylinders and so on BEFORE they consider trying to tune what could potentially be a dud setup. These are the small details that make a good tuner a good tuner.

Best of luck!

douglasamills wrote:
1600s arent the only datsun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:47 pm 

Yeah I've always said that you must also be mechanically minded and experienced to find faults. Pointless only knowing how to tune but can't find faults. I raised this complaint with my tuning guy because it lost fuel pressure twice through two different regulators. When I took it down the third time for him and asked him what he did for the money he charged, he went absolutely ape-sh!t blaming the Autometer AFG. What an idiot. He couldn't justify what he did to try and rectify the issue because he did nothing and just charged me 350 bucks, so he blames the gauge. When he asked, " how do you know the gauge is accurate " and I just said " because the pressure gauge is showing a massive drop in fuel pressure and the car has lost all its power, that's how I know the gauge is accurate. " He then flips out and starts throwing crap around in the workshop. Like really !! Does this guy want customers or not ? This is a moron with too much money that he's over dealing with customers.

This gauge may not represent actual figures but one thing it definitely does do is tell you the minute something changes in your fuel system as far as mixtures are concerned and every time I pop the bonnet and check the pressure gauge, sure enough the pressure has dropped and the car has lost power. My motor would have gone " BANG " avery long time ago if it wasn't for this gauge.

It makes me laugh when tuners blame gauges for inconsistency issues because they simply can't explain what went wrong, or what is constantly going wrong. Complete idiots and what makes it worse is their damn temper tantrums which they just don't give a sh!t about. This is a guy that has made about 6- grand in tunes and upgrades out of me up to now and that is the bullsh!t that he displayed. It's a real shame, he can tune cars real well but has no time for small headache jobs and that's when he shows you his true colours. I thought he was a decent guy but guess I was wrong............I wonder what temper they would have if they had no business

Thanks for the recommendation by the way. Anyone else with some pointers maybe ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:34 am 

Why replace the factory FPR in the first place? It never fails. If it were me I'd put the oem one back in, mine works just fine at +300RWkW.

Current Rolling stock: 2000 model ST215 Caldina, CAA22 celica (race,) RT40 corona (cruiser)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:25 pm 

Don't disagree with you one bit but never came with the engine. I prefer OEM equipment to aftermarket stuff. It's more reliable