Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:12 am 

Not too sure where this should go as it kind of effects all areas of the car.. so general it is :D

Basically, I have an almost completely empty car and, as it is being built from the ground up, I plan to upgrade where ever possible... given I am upgrading from nothing, shouldn't be too hard or, a bad idea (I didnt mention expensive on purpose :D)

One of the more imperative things i have to learn a lot more about are aftermarket pedal boxes. I suppose it isnt "absolutely necessary" to use one of these but, if I am in a position to do so, i think it'd be well worthy my time.

This kind of deal (quick search results only)
[ img ]

Experiences, feedback, legality, good/bad options... what ever you guys have got :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:38 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Why, is there something wrong with the existing system?
Looks like it just adds complexity and weight to an already simple and light car

I assume it changes your options with master cylinders and throttle cable?

Mick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:14 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24421

Bit of a thread here. Left hand drive obviously, there's a couple of builds on the 510 realm with them

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:18 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Should be a bit of info in this build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=150

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:23 pm 

Coz22a wrote:
Why, is there something wrong with the existing system?
Looks like it just adds complexity and weight to an already simple and light car
Mick
As for the "why?????"
[ img ]
There is no current system.

Nad015 -- Thanks dude, I will check it out. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:11 pm 

I'm sure there are plenty of pedal boxes to suit your model around for a carton of beer. I'm not sure of the legalities on a street car as wouldn't it effect the crumple zone as well as being the brakes would require engineering. Then there's the issue of the ones you have pictured are floor mounted so the floor will need reinforcing.
There's no reason why it can't be done tho

1971 1600, mild L18, 5 speed

All I want is less to do, more time to do it and higher pay for not getting it done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:02 pm 

If you want to run a floor mount pedal box in your 1600 there a few considerations you need to think of.

First you'll need pedal box that mounts the cylinders under foot. They're called a "Reverse Pull type. Link is for the AP racing one but cheaper options are available. I use this style in my TA22 Celica.

The reason for this is that space is limited in the drivers foot well, and there isn't enough space to mount a traditional pedal box with the master cylinders mounted behind the box against the fire wall. Yes you could drill that stuff around, but using a revers pull type solves all problems. That Tilton one you pictured IS NOT SUITABLE. Also having the cylinders sitting under foot means changing them for different sizes is far easier as they're easier to access.

2nd: Accelerator pedal. Leave the stock pedal in place, since you don't have one, get one. Adjust (bend) the stock pedal so that it is activated by the pedal box accelerator pedal. This is by far the simplest way to get things working and once again how things work in my TA22.

[ img ]

This is an older photo of my TA22, prior to having the brake lines plumbed up. I recommend hard lines on the pressurised side (like factory ones) cost me $300 to have them all made at my Local Midas. Yes you could use braided flex, but hard lines just work. Rubber tube on the low pressure side to the pots.

Hope this helps.
Jordan

Current Rolling stock: 2000 model ST215 Caldina, CAA22 celica (race,) RT40 corona (cruiser)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:47 pm 

JFAllen wrote:
If you want to run a floor mount pedal box in your 1600 there a few considerations you need to think of.
Hey there JFAllen,

That is a damn nice setup you have there and a cool car too. my first car was one of these things :D never got it going though :(

I just put that one up there so that people would have a quick idea what i was meaning when i mentioned pedal box... streamline the process, you know?

As for which orientation want, I'd probably be best to use the standard mounting position which means I'll be going under-slung reverse Pull i think it's called... I did see the AP Racing ones there actually... but after i moved on looking at Wilwood brakes and, comparably, AP racing brakes. They've got some crazy cool gear.

You mentioned/advised using the standard accelerator pedal? Why'd that?