Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 1600 intercooler options
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:47 pm 

Hi

I see there is already a SR20det radiator thread so I'll attach my question to that, but I am also looking at intercooler options as well.

I already have a Datsport radiator and a PWR intercooler custom mounted, but room in the engine bay is very very tight. I could not even change a fanbelt, or remove the radiator/intercooler without removing the SR (this might be normal anyway). I do not like the radiator showing at the front, must be behind the grill which it is now.

The radiator support was cut up pretty badly, so currently I am replacing it with another. I am not 100% with the setup I have, and want to do it right this time around.

So.... which intercooler and if you want, radiator is recommended?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:59 pm 

Hmmm. I always thought the datsport system looked very clean when fitted correctly and worked very well.
I think it makes more difference spending some time to mount it all correctly and getting clearances correct,
Irrespective of which setup you use.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:13 pm 

The Datsport would mount up nicely, if you use the Datsport cooler/radiator package I believe. The brackets on mine were changed, and custom mounted with the PWR, just seems really bulky in the front! I may buy the complete Datsport cooler/rad yet.

Last edited by Ackley Improved on Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:04 pm 

I am running a pwr cooler in my 69 1600. I will have to get a custom radiator made up when the time comes. The cooler is quite thick and I will also need to cut out a large section of my radiator support panel. Maybe post up some pictures so we can see the space you have or haven't haha etc

Cheers,

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:40 pm 

butch510 wrote:
I am running a pwr cooler in my 69 1600. I will have to get a custom radiator made up when the time comes. The cooler is quite thick and I will also need to cut out a large section of my radiator support panel. Maybe post up some pictures so we can see the space you have or haven't haha etc

Cheers,

Richard
Yes the cooler is thick, and once you add the radiator stuff gets tight. I think I will definitely not use the PWR cooler, but look for other options. You will need to cut a big portion out as mine currently is. I think there is a picture or two under my build thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:56 pm 

I use a custom v n e rigoli cooler and pwr radiator and i have 1 pully left on my crank pully and had to shave the heads of the water pump bolts to get the set up behind the grille and there is probably 3 mm between my 16 inch spal thermo fan and my water pump but im very happy with my set up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:06 am 

use a water to air cooler. no cutting, bending, twisting, hammering, punching, stabbing etc of the front end required whatsoever!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:15 pm 

It has been a while since I started this thread, but it is now time to get back into the datto. I need this sorted. I am replacing the radiator support, and in doing so setting up the radiator/intercooler again, neatly. I have just ordered a bling radiator from Baz and need to get a intercooler. I came across this on good old ebay...

http://www.ebay.com.au.au/itm/400x300x6 ... 19fd0667c4

What do you think? That 10mm less in thickness might make for a little easier install, but performance difference between 76mm to 65mm core???

Other option is the Aeroflow intercooler.
http://www.ebay.com.au.au/itm/AEROFLOW- ... 5d4aa111cc

Time to get this show on the road!

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:05 pm 

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... er#p259386. looks perfect for a 1600, ill be buying one

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:01 pm 

Stowers wrote:
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... er#p259386. looks perfect for a 1600, ill be buying one
That is the same intercooler in my first link. I will contact now about onr as well.

Cheers