Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Stroker sr20
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:34 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Not really sure what I'm asking but maybe just after some opinions on what pistons could be run with a stroker crank (sr20 N\A)

You can get stroker 'kits' which include forged pistons to your spec but I'm not sure about forged pistons on a daily driver for no reason other than I know nothing about them.

So I guess a question is can stock pistons be used on a stroker crank with a shorter rod to bring the piston top back to deck height?

Is there something about the wrist pin placement needing to be different?

Are forgies really the best bet though?

Post subject: Re: Stroker sr20
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:23 pm 

The only difference is the way the pistons are made. Forged is a better way to go. They handle more detonation, when they fail they don't shatter like cast pistons. All worked motors use forged parts (or should).

Here's a little light reading:
http://www.hoon.tk/tech_tips/pistons.html

Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:44 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

They also have significantly different metallurgy so it is a serious consideration if just using it as a "street" motor....example, forged pistons usually expand more than an equivalent "cast" piston during warm up phase such that a cold piston to bore clearance needs to usually be larger to accommodate the piston size growth (especially in an iron block but will have to be accounted for an aluminium block like the SR) so piston slap noise and wear is a major consideration when warming up an engine before driving it. With a forged piston engine, you wouldn't generally want to just start it up and pop down the shops to pick up a last minute pizza - something to consider. Of course, the durability, detonation tolerance, potentially lighter rotating mass and (depending on how it is set up) tighter hot clearances mean significantly more performance potential.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:10 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

forgies arnet really my best option but maybe the only option for custom sized pistons. i guess its not a daily as such but more of a street car than a track car.

anyway been reading about strokers and it may be better to go sleeves and bore to 90/91 to get the same, or rather more, cc. plus revs will be better so bigger cam will work better and hopefully there will still be heaps of low torque from high comp + bigger cc for street driving.

i only found one place just outside perth that sleeves (an sr20) so far but they sound like they do a good job with stepped deck and all.