Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Lz23 gearbox/dif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:00 pm 

Hey all.
I'm balls deep in stroking a l20b in my 200b. I'm curious to what you guys recommend I get as far as gearbox dif options.
I'm looking for cheap and easy if possible. Won't be a show car just a bit of fun.
Cheers!
Jace

Post subject: Re: Lz23 gearbox/dif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:53 am 

mistajace wrote:
Hey all.
I'm balls deep in stroking a l20b in my 200b. I'm curious to what you guys recommend I get as far as gearbox dif options.
I'm looking for cheap and easy if possible. Won't be a show car just a bit of fun.
Cheers!
Jace
Assume its not IRS , 260 z gearbox and r31 skyline diff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:34 pm 

Sweet cheers man. Do I need any mods for that?
I'll search though I'm sure there is heaps on that.

What's irs?
Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:34 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

IRS = Independent Rear Suspension. You'll be able to tell by looking at your diff.

Regarding a diff and gearbox, it all depends on what your budget is. R31 diffs are thin on the ground any wrecker I go to, plus they don't just bolt in to a 200B. If you can find a series 3 Bluebird sedan, get the complete H190 drum-to-drum diff out of that. The housing itself will bolt straight into the 200B. You will need to sort out a tailshaft, either by using a one-piece manual Bluebird tailshaft (I've never managed to find one) or by using an auto 120Y tailshaft. You might need the tailshaft flange from the Bluebird diff put on to the 120Y tailshaft, I can't remember. I also remember having an issue with the brake line when I fitted it to mine, I can't remember exactly what the issue was but at worst you will need to use the 200B brake line on the Bluebird diff.

Once you have that in, you can keep your eyes open for a better H190 ratio and an LSD. The R31 LSD will be easier and cheaper to find, but you'll have to get mounts moved on the diff and they are quite a bit wider than a 200B diff so I don't know what your options with wheels will be. The Bluebird diff is 15mm longer either side than a 200B diff.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:50 pm 

Copied and pasted... Cheers mate. No idea what I would do with the wealth of knowledge around here.....! Looks like I'm going blue bird hunting.

You agree I should be looking for the 260 z gearbox then? Another person told me I should be looking for a 280z . Needless to say I didn't find one at a decent price.
Cheers.

Jace.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:21 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Very similar boxes - early 260Z has slightly better (closer) ratios than other boxes. Otherwise, 280ZX, 240K, bluebird will all do the job.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:16 am 

Having trouble locating anyone other than people looking to buy the same boxes.
Obviously I don't run in the same circles as you guys.
Anyone who could pm me the details of a good dealer or has some gear lying around, I would appreciate it.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:45 pm 

Just so I know, I understand the issues with the diff etc... But what is it about the 200b 5 speed manual that is worse than the bluebird etc. Would It definitely be no good for the lz23? Is there anything I can do with it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:19 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The only 200B five speeds are the SSS gearboxes with the different shift pattern. Is yours a standard H pattern or is reverse where first normally is? If it has a standard H pattern then it's probably a Bluebird or 240K five speed. Bluebird gearboxes are not considered as strong as a 240K gearbox but if there's already a five speed gearbox in there I'd just leave it until you break it.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:08 am 

Ahh ok. All good. Just got offered a 260z auto transmission....wasn't really wanting auto but as this is just a weekender don't really care!
How would that go in my situation?
Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:07 pm 

if you are going to run an auto i would make sure that it is the jatco 3n71b as the borg warner autos have a reputation of being rubbish and wont hold up behind a stroker. there is a mod you can do to the jatcos that will make them handle 300-400hp im told but would have to speak to a mate to confirm what that is. I personally wouldn't run an auto because it is just to much fun having gears with the kind of engine that you are building. I have a 2.4l l20b with a 240k gearbox and an h165 with welded centre and and i haven't managed to break the box or centre just a couple of axles.

I would recommend an h190 diff but not sure what fits in the 200b or if there is a near bolt in option for them, i know you said that it is to be a weekender but what do you plan to do with it or more to the point how do you plan on driving it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:11 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

What are you doing for carbs, cam and port work.

I wouldn't go an auto.

And I wouldn't be looking for a 260z or other close ratio gearbox(expensive and hard to locate). Unless you really need it
These gearboxes are used to optimise engines with big cams, carbs and lots of headwork. As these engines have narrow power bands at high rpm and the close ratio gearboxes keep them in the power band.

Just get your self a 71b style 5 speed box from an 240k or bluey. There's still plenty around and should be around $150. Private sale of course

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:28 am 

Ok nice cheers guys.
To answer questions, it will be a weekend driver that gets a little squirt here and there.
I won't be smoking it up or trying to run times in it.

Won't be much head work....next to nothing really just a full refurbishment.
Air is twin su....38s
So what I am definitely getting from this is hanging a 71b 5 speed and drive it till I brake it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:01 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

What about the bottom end specs? Block, crank, rods, piston size, comp ratio?

Yep just a standard datto 5 speed Long box is what your after, no need for a close ratio box with your set up, as a long stroke, large capacity l20b with no head work is all going to be low- mid range power will be able to pull easily through the longer ratio gears, it'll probably run out of puff at 5000rpm.
And don't worry you will not break it.

I tried looking for one on gumtree or eBay to add a link to what you need. But couldn't find one.
But anyway post a wanted add in the wanted classifieds section here, or maybe ask on down under Datsuns Facebook page if your on face book.

You could probably pay $250 in a desperately needed situation, but I wouldnt pay more than $150 for one, I have heaps of them bought for $100 or less. All these prices are from private sales, I hate to think what a wreaker would charge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:23 pm 

Bluebird/240k/26z/280z bxes all basic same internals, and same strength, no one better than another.
Early 260 Z bxes had slightly closer ratio on 1 & 2

You sad you are "cheap" so forget an aftermarket clse ratio gearset conversion, the guts runnng 2.3 L eng etc, usually run these, along with twin 48 carbs, and lts of good gear in motor, mated to a lwer ratio LSD diff. Its all money!