Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:29 pm 

Few interesting things. I dipped out of the SSS dash as it was a ridiculous price.

I spoke to an engine builder here about a few options. Decided to pull the head off the original engine. Closed chamber! Howe good is that. So, I'll be swapping that onto the reco'd engine, using the L20B cam & perhaps the new valves that were fitted. Frankenstein it all up so it'll be same specs as a SSS engine.

Still undecided whether or not to do up the twin Hitachi's or the 32/36 Webber. If I use the twins, I'll have to port the head, or @ least the port openings to match twin inlet manifold...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:47 am 

Just an update -

Had the 5 Speed rebuilt @ an old school workshop. Turns out it's a close ratio 81' - 83' 280ZX which suits the L series engines from factory over here.

I picked up an L20B engine with plan to use the flat tops from the L18 but, upon splitting head. Found the pistons were .040 overbore so, can't use the flats. Scrapped that idea & selling off for engine parts now, along with U67 head I recently sold that came with the rebuilt engine I scored last year.

So, will be using the rebuilt L18 block with flats along with closed chamber peanut head off the original car's shitty engine I've recently removed. Head is currently @ headshop here getting rebuilt. Turns out the valves were in great nic. Just awaiting final decision on cam. Whether to replace it with a street Crow or have the old one reground, but the shop's regrind fella has flown the coup so, I await this decision. guessing it will need the crow replacement. I'm chasing around the 125hp mark with the 32/36 weber I have here that I'll rebuild. Will use the large port chamber 4-2 exhaust mani I have also scored.

Will be replacing rear engine seal & leaning toward the Exedy clutch kit, along with short throw slave cylinder I found for sale here.

I'm awaiting late 180B struts so I can build a lowered coilover set for the front with Magna 425 rotors & V8 Commodore callipers.

Have chosen to paint it in a Cherry black colour of some sort up ahead. Have purchased KIA paint for interior pieces, along with black faux suede for door trims & few other trim bits.

I ended up scoring an original round dial SSS dash so, have the joy of fitting that up ahead with tacho drama & elec dizzy.

Lastly, leaning toward going with elec fuel pump & blocking off cam drive hole.