Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:16 pm 

Hey,
I have been considering buying this kit as i have heard good things. I was just wondering your opinions on it? Has anyone been in a 1600 or own one with this kit in it? I currently have a fairly standard L16, pedders shocks with super low king springs and an r160 diff. 17*7 rims, I have a standard 4spd box but will be upgrading to some sort of 5 speed soon. 2 inch exhaust. So what mods will i need to fit this kit? And then will i have to change my set up once slotting in a CA/SR or FJ?
Cheers, Mike.

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:06 pm 

Quote:
So what mods will I need to fit this kit?
What offsett are your rims you will need +40. Do you really need 17" ? Anyway, I digress..

I suggest you have a better look at the www.datsport.com website there are detailed fitting instructions there.

If you purchase the complete kit, it is a matter of removing your motor and gearbox, then all the front-end struts crossmember ect from the car and fitting the new Datsport items.

The only real "modification" as I recall is the following;

The drilling of chassis rail for crush tubes. (not essential but recommended,) and the cutting of floor pan for larger opening to accommodate different gearbox position and larger box. (with 5 speed)

The rear gear box crossmember supplied with kit will also need two holes drilled into floor pan, I welded nut inside cab same as factory but Datsport do supply a nut bolt and small plate arrangement if welder not handy. All the details of these mods that are on the Datsport site.

There may also be some new brake lines required, I'm not sure as I replaced all the original items in engine bay, so I made lines to suit.
Quote:
And then will I have to change my set up once slotting in a CA/SR or FJ?
Only the actual engine mounts and swaybar. Datsport will exchange swaybar for CA/SR when u go from L Block to CA if you buy the whole fitting kit.

Offcourse the CA/SR conversion means new tailshaft, radiator ect ect. But that’s not your question.

I'm happy to take you for a drive sometime, I cannot impress upon you how much a difference a complete fitting kit like the Datsport one will make. You are essentially replacing your front end, so every tie rod, ball joint and rubber is new, this alone does wonders for the ride. The development of the struts and crossmember enable you to run low for good handling, but even more importantly I find there is ZERO bumpsteer, compared to others I have driven. The spring rates and shocks are perfectly balanced. The car is so neutral when driving hard its just plain silly :)

The biggest problem you'll have is deciding whether or not to buy the slotted rear crossmember and brakes as well….I did. :)

Cheers,
Mal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:17 pm 

Thanks Mal,
I looked at the datsport site and all the fitting instructions. It seems fairly straight forward, thanks for your reply! I am keen to hit the mountain and go a for a ride in your 16 soon! Speak to you soon.
Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:18 pm 

Following my own advice :), I went to Datsport site and I realize that, the struts I'm refering to, in my above post are not part of the fitting and handling kit.

I stand buy the other comments, however.

DOH!

Cheers,
Mal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:46 am 

hi Mal + Orangeterra,
I've also been looking at this fitting kit solely for the purpose of improving the ride quality of my dat, not so much for slotting in a turbo motor (as I still want to run an L series). I was looking at the Datsport site and saw this:

"Please note: Fitment of this kit may require the use of later model uprights such as R30/31 S12 910 Y31 etc. Increased positive offset rims may also be required. Does not apply to flared front guards. please enquire for advise."

Does anyone happen to know if original 1600/180B/200B/240K struts will work with this kit, or will an upgrade to R31 legs etc be mandatory??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:01 am 

S401.......,
I'm in the same boat as you (wanting it to tighten up the front end and keeping the L). I spoke to DS and they said 200b or 240k struts were fine.

Mal,
is the slotted rear Xmember worth the cash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:46 pm 

Thanks for the reply testpilot.
Did Datsport mention whether positive offset rims would be required with the 200B or 240K struts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:25 pm 

testpilot wrote:
Mal,
is the slotted rear Xmember worth the cash?
I believe it most definently is yes, getting the rear to track well is essential on a lowered street/circuit car.

Cheers,
Mal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:02 am 
Guru

testpilot wrote:
S401.......,
I'm in the same boat as you (wanting it to tighten up the front end and keeping the L). I spoke to DS and they said 200b or 240k struts were fine.
Sorry Dan, some confusion here.
200B & 240K struts are NOT suitable. unless you flare the guards. They will not accept large offset fwd rims.
and then they still have other probs.

To get good handling & ride on a lowered street1600 you need a shorter strut with close to original travel. With 200B or 240K struts the high spring rates needed to stop bottoming out on the bump stops may give the feeling that the handling is better (until you are on the stops) but in reality the front slip or under steer is increased in most cases.
moded R31 struts or S12 gazelle are the best bet.
unless you have experienced the difference its not easy to explain.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:00 pm 

For Sale:
2 240K struts with new slotter rotors, new twin spot calipers, lovells and koni's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:42 pm 

man, i have just fitted some of the dat sport front struts(r31) with the 32 rotors and calipers, what can i say, awesome braking power, i wish i had got the complete fitting kit when i did the conversion now

Post subject: datsport
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:26 am 

hey niz

did you get the standard r31 struts with fixed platforms or the coilovers?

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:33 pm 

I got DatSports R31 strut kit in my SSS, with the R31 vented slotted disks.
No other brake mods and the car pulls up on a dime :D
What can be said about them but............
"I only wish Baz, had been on the 1600 Design team" :D :D

Gimme a Datsun and some Dirt.......

Post subject: datto
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:54 pm 

and which struts did you grab?

coilovers or fixed platform?
what offset/size rims did you use?
did you grab the fitting kit?

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:58 pm 

Jimmy,

R31 Fixed Platform for me. Car is good balance between street and track. The coilovers would be a good idea if going racing a little more regular than 1 or 2 track days a year as allows for a greater range of spring choice. For everyday use, not required imo.

Everything is a compromise, my ride is excellent and the car is balanced when pushed hard. Stops, very very well.

I also installed the fitting kit and rear crossmmber, with 240K 2" lowered Kings Springs and KYB shocks on the rear.

Im using 15x6.5 + 38 offsett rims, with 205/50/15

This is how it sits, with that setup.

[ img ]

Cheers,
Mal