Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: HELP!!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:06 am 

Mal etc

Can I get someone here who has actually fitted one of these kits to their car to contact me via email. I would like to discuss, from go to finish, how they installed this fitting kit. I am having big issues and steadily losing faith. It is holding up the whole project.

cheers guys

James

datsun007@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:43 am 

Niz, Mal etc

Can I ask you guys what sort of IC and rad combo you are running and how much and where you cut to fit them?

I have been looking at the hybrid jobbies which are 560mm from end of inlet pipe to end of outlet pipe, 75mm deep and 300mm tall.
It does look like I have to cut about an inch or either side and scallop around the bottom for the pipes. Another option is to get one not so wide and have the rad modified to suit.

any opinions.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:47 am 

hey mate

i run a custom cooler and radiator set up, the core of my cooler is 500x350x76, with a nice set of custom end tanks, the brand of the core was pwr i think, it fits behind the grill nicely, nothing from the front of the car ie grill, suround strips are out of place of not used, car looks factory except if a closer inspection is taken, there was a bit cut out of the front radiator suport panel, and the stone gaurd, actually more then was needed in the end but it worked out nice in the end, the radiator is a alloy job too i cant remember the measurments of it, but its about 500 wide but alot taller than the cooler, its kinda a modular deal, as it mounts to the cooler and radiator support panel after the cooler is bolted in place,
once the setup is bolted in it leaves just enough room for a 14 davies craig thermo fan, only just enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:06 pm 

hey mate

thanx for the reply

don't suppose you have any pics of where you cut? 500mm wide for the rad is tiny. The n13s are alot wider from memory.
Can I ask who made that up for you and what it set you back?

cheers again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:34 pm 

i have a datsport fitting & handling kit, and i just went to "dummy" fit it today, cuz she goes off 2 the paint shop next week....

and... :shock:

it doesn't friken fit?!?!?!

the x-member is approx. 5 mm too long to fit in properly, it contacts the chassis rails either side :(

what do i do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:14 pm 

deva wrote:
i have a datsport fitting & handling kit, and i just went to "dummy" fit it today, cuz she goes off 2 the paint shop next week....

and... :shock:

it doesn't friken fit?!?!?!

the x-member is approx. 5 mm too long to fit in properly, it contacts the chassis rails either side :(

what do i do?
What you meant to say is, your 30 year old chasis rails arnt where they were when it left the production line. :)

Simply grab some blocks of wood a jack and spread the rails slightly to enable you to tap the member in with a rubber mallet and or block of wood.

The first chasis I attempted to fit the crossmember too was so bent I had to have it straightened at panel shop too enable fitment. :shock:

Dont blame the kits, guys. Some of these cars have had a tough life, and the original build QA means even straight ones can be a few mm out. The rails will spread the the member DOES fit. Some cars easier than others.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:39 pm 

mey mate, i got some pics but i dont know how to post em up, im not much chop on these computers hey,

the idea behind the radiator, is if you could actually see it, it runs from the top of the raditaor support panel and overhangs the bottom of the stone gaurd, by a bit, not enough for it too stand out and its nowwhere near the raod, but we figured we have the bulk of the radiator where the most air flow is, it seems to work a treat hey
bit of contention about the shop that did it for me i wont go into it anymore, i dont think there are there anymore, but most pof the bits tig welding and what not that i couldnt do were finished of by hardcore racing componets up here in queensland

ill try to see i i can firgure out how to get some pics up for you mate, as for price, it was done with a few other things so its hard to say, wasnt cheap though,

we cut out most of the section of the radiator support panel thatfolds into the engine bay, and the throttle body side is a closer to the headlights than the other side too
ill get a mate to help us out with getting em up, unless someone else can explain in english how it is done[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:16 pm 

hey guys

Looks the issue of the not fitting 'fitting kit' from datsport has been solved.
I tried everything i could think of and had many long conversations with baz over the phone discussing it all and trying to problem solve.
In the end I said "F&%k this" and sent it back to Baz to look at for me along with MY mounts and brackets to se if they were the problem.
Turns out the engine mounting brackets have been modified and would not fit the crossmember properly.

I, who have only ever seen one set of brackets in person, could not tell they were modified but Baz, with his trained eye, of course spotted the problem.

So that is hopefully now sorted and I should be able to put the whole thing in the car either this weekend or next week and give positve feedback on how good it is. :)

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:31 pm 

jimmmy wrote:
hey guys

So that is hopefully now sorted and I should be able to put the whole thing in the car either this weekend or next week and give positve feedback on how good it is. :)

cheers
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:28 pm 

good news, sahould be good to hear how it all went, and what its like on the road

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:41 am 

I am just glad the problem had been identified. It was really really really starting to piss me off.
The whole project was being held up and it is not like I can work on the thing after work or on weekends like most.

oh well, cheers baz