Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: what car should i get?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:29 pm 

im looking for a cheap datto to rally
ive got an L20B that im building up for it so i dont care about engine size. is irs that important? 1600s are too expensive
and would a stanza or something have a better set up and weight difference compared to a 180b? and is it possible to keep a rally car/khana car street legal?
cheers for any advice :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:59 pm 

you can pick up 180B's for pretty cheap, and they are the closest things to 1600.. pretty much identical suspesion setup. and about the same wieght also (give or take about 30kg)

go the 180

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:01 pm 

200Boy wrote:
ive got an L20B that im building up for it so i dont care about engine size.
Can you explain this a bit better? Basically, an L20 can't be used in a 1600 anyway, but can be used in a Stanza, 200b, bluebird. There are plenty of VERY competitive stanzas around, so that's where I'd be looking.
Quote:
is irs that important?
Not really. At the risk of offending some of the 1600 purists here, a decent live axle rally car (eg Stanza) can be just as competitive as a 1600. The IRS has some advantages, and some disadvantages. Either will perform well if set up correctly
Quote:
and is it possible to keep a rally car/khana car street legal?
Yes, although you might find you need rally rego. Things like seats, cages and harnesses mean you will need to engineer it, then there's engine mods (remember, a Stanza will have to comply with more emission regulations than a pre-1973 car).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:27 pm 

Is it possible to keep it legal?

Well as the owner of a Stanza Rally car, the short answer is yes, but no.

You could have a rally car with standard seat belts and seats, standard carby, standard brakes, standard diff etc, but it would be pretty boring.

The moment you put in a harness (that is not adr approved), put weber carbies on it, get rid of all of the anti pollution gear and give it a rev up it becomes illegal.

In Victoria you can get rally reg, but it costs most than normal car reg each year and there are lots of restrictions on when you can and cannot use it.

The best bet is to get a stanza/bluebird/200b, get it registered with 'normal' gear on it, put all the goods bit on it and dont have it as a daily driver.

Big induction noise, loud exhaust, heavy clutch, stiff suspension = car not nice to drive in trafic and cop bait

Post subject: cheap rallycar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:50 pm 

as the others said, for cheapness, you cant go past a stanza or 180b sedan..

each has pros and cons, like the stanza has a weight advantage, and would have a better feel/driving position as theres less bulk.
where the 180b it a bit more interchangable with the rest of the range, and would be easier to keep legal with an L20b (depending on year).

heres one from left field though!

sell your L20b, and with the cash, buy an R30 skyline! those are very cheap also, make great khana/motorkhana cars, and generally are just a kickarse car! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:15 pm 

if you want a cheap rally car, get an unregisterable private import S13 for about $5k.

grab a car trailer for about $1500 and you're away - aside from the obvious safety gear.

seriously, i often wondered why nissan never entered the S13 into the world rally championship. they're a dynamite natural in the dirt and great on tarmac too.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:31 pm 

4WD were well established in world rally by 1989. No RWD would come close. I don't even think S13 have been homologated for local rallying either.

Even 180b are getting a bit thin on the ground, I reckon Stanza is the go :) Or sunny but then you are limited to the A-series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:43 am 

id try to go either a 180b or a stanza.. both have been proven on the rally scene

Mazda 121 - Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:24 am 

stanza

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:34 am 

200Boy,

Read what Warps wrote. He is on the money.

My advice, before you do anything else (you may have already done some or all of this):

1. Join a rally oriented Motor Sport Club and go to some of the local rallies.

2. Learn as much as you can from the other members/competitors.

3. Get a CAMS manual (you have to buy one with your licence).

I am suggesting this because all too often people wanting to get into the sport (but know much about the rules) buy rally cars that aren't legal under the CAMS rules. Which means you have spent all the money on something you can't use. You than have to spend more money changing it so it does comply.

Things you should note:

Do a budget. Things to include:

All the safety gear, helmet, seatbelts (most have a limited life), driving suit (I say this one because in 2006 CAMS plans on making driving suits mandatory in all levels of rallying).

Running costs - fuel, tyres, spares, oils, etc.

An amount for accident repairs (no matter how good you are you will crash at some point).

And on the point of cars... I have rallied a 120Y, 1600, 180B and an RX-2. All of them have good points and bad points. IMO as an all round rallycar I liked the 1600 the best closely followed by the 180B.

Happy rallying. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:44 am 

sean wrote:
Pro240c!!!! me and my mate were just discussing building up an S13 for him as a rally car, we though no one else had done it!!! do they work well? they have a much better IRS setup in them as compared to a 1600 dont they? we would be running it as a non turbo SR20 (if we are allowed to) we also figured body panels would be easier to get than for a 1600 in years to come! plus they have power steering!
do you know a bit more about this that might be usefull?

Thanks Sean
Sean are they homologated?? Are they recognised by CAMS? I ask because they weren't sold in Aust, were they?

A guy in NSW has built one but he has never run it (other than as a zero car) because there is a legality issue under the PRC rules, IIRC...

IMO, you would be better off with an S12 or S14, S15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:33 am 

sean wrote:
Pro240c!!!! me and my mate were just discussing building up an S13 for him as a rally car, we though no one else had done it!!! do they work well? they have a much better IRS setup in them as compared to a 1600 dont they? we would be running it as a non turbo SR20 (if we are allowed to) we also figured body panels would be easier to get than for a 1600 in years to come! plus they have power steering!
do you know a bit more about this that might be usefull?

Thanks Sean
not much.

i have driven an SR20DET S13 in the dirt and all i can say is WOW. they are so predicatable in the dirt i am seriously considering getting one later on (like, MUCH later on when i get a shed) and entering it in PRC3 cross fingers - but in NA form only. the turbo hit can be a bit much and makes it want to wheelspin all over the place, especially if you let the revs drop a bit accidentally into a corner. that's why i'd go DE instead of DET.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:44 pm 

GTiRs were rallyed in the VRC in 91-92. :twisted:

Cheers,