Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Sticking drums
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:53 pm 

Finally got the the brakes bled up :roll:

But now the rear brakes are locked up......does anybody have a diagram of how 1600 rear shoes are set up?

Or a very clear description on how they are set up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:19 pm 

back of the drum plate is a square post. I believe a 7mm. Loosen that up(out) and it should loosen the brakes up
Be careful not to strip that 7mm post.
What I did on one car is put a 12/14mm stainless NUT on there and weldedit in the center and use it to adjust my brakes better. That 7 mm square post would strip out and have to use Vise Grips. So be careful!!!

All it does is when you tighten the brakes up.(Turning the post IN) you just wedge the brake shoe halves apart,speading the brake shoes.
Then the bottom halves of the brakes are pushed apart by the brake drum cylinder as you push the brake pedal.

I would WD40 the threaded post and maybe use anti seize compound on there(prevent rust)

Your drums also shoul have jacking screw in the drum to take the drum off. I believ 2 12mm head bolts. If threads are not shot in the drum.

PS If rear brakes are sticking after you come to a stop and your leaking fluid . The fluid get on the brake pads and causes it to stick but i think you know this already
Just covering my bases.