Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 260z Box Price
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:20 pm 

ok well i have found a 260z manual gearbox with the 2.9:1 ratio for first it comes with everyhting i need to change over from the Auto, the price is 990 what does everyone think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:49 pm 

I would say that was expensive for any gearbox. But then again getting all the bits to make it work would be alot of effort. Just make sure you have the right size throw out bearing with the kit, apparently there are a few to choose from with the Z's.

Keep in mind you could get a cheaper 260z box, then use 240k bits, like the pedals and hydrolics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:58 pm 

i think that's damn exepensive.. based only on the fact that you can get an R33 box for around the same price... ( a very sought after box)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:29 pm 

well it has taken me ages to even find this box, and i have been told that this is the best box for the z is this true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:51 pm 

Best depends what you want to do with it. I've heard it has good ratios if thats what you mean. 2.9:1 for 1st gear is what makes it special??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:54 pm 

Well its probably true that a 260z box is the best box for a 260z (sorry if thats sounds flippant) - and I've read good things about 2.9 first gear. But $990 seems like at least $500 too much to me. Has it had a total rebuild or something? You pay that, and people are going to start investing in gearboxes instead of real estate :P

You have placed wanted ads of course? .... there was a guy on e-bay trying to sell 3 260z's recently ... two of them were rough-as (I think at least one was a manual) .... worth 'asking the seller a question' I reckon.

Cheers, Neil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:46 pm 

Yeh I've seen people saying that the 2.9 first gear is really the thing to have but I reckon thats hyperbole. IMHO the most important thing is to get the strongest box with reasonable ratios, a 260 box is definately not the strongest although they are ok behind a stockish L series.

That price is ridiculous unless it is like new and I doubt very much that it is that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:15 am 

hmmm well it seems i have made a major fu<k up because i put a deposit on it already before i got your response, i guess you live and learn but you idiot mistakes and rushin into things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:14 am 

The bits to do the conversion would cost a bit man... Im assuming you got all the pedals and clutch stuff nessasary. If you were to buy that from a wrecker or even worse new it would cost a fair bit. I hope that you get everything you need to do the conversion.

Good luck because I dont think a auto -> man conversion is as easy as it sounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:32 am 

well now i dont feel too bad

yeah i got absoulutley everything but i was just thinkin that i got it all for a 260z i am just curious if anything will not be compatible

also i was talkin to the guy and they charge 880 to install which is a bit pricey and he asked if i had ever done one i told him of course not but i have done a front wheel and he said it would be a piece of cake, now i just need to remeber how i did it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:10 am 
Guru

$880 for a proffesional Z conversion to manual is not unreasonable.
Have done a few of these & the pedal box swap is a pain in the butt.
Cheap trans for a std Z is a bluey box.
They are stronger than people give them credit for.
The BB ratios are good enough for street use.

are you suppling ALL the parts.?
pilot bush? flywheel & bolts,clutch etc?
including seals & fluids?

Z boxes if in good nick are worth the money.
Guys need them for rally work with L series with low diff ratios
& rally cams.
They are a cheap alt for option boxes or C/R ratio mods.
$500 for a good box & a lot more for a rebuild.
Just price up a synchro hub & you will understand.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:27 am 

The guy I bought my 180bsss off sold the 260z box out of it for $700 bucks to a guy in tasmania just to give you a idea of what ppl are willing to pay.

I might be able to get you a genuine one in sydney nsw for $500 or a bit more if you are interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:59 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I did an auto-to-manual conversion for my brother on his 260Z, using a different box from a jap importer (can't remember exactly what the box was from now). Even back then, getting the pedal box and all the other bits and pieces added to the cost of doing it so if you have absolutely everything you need I reckon its a reasonable price.

Fairly straight forward, although as Baz says you'll get sick of trying to get the pedal box in. Its fairly tight and you end up hanging out of the drivers door upside down trying to get it all in.

Only problem we had was that we didn't bypass the switch that stops it from being started with the auto in "drive", so it wouldn't start at all when the manual went in. Caused a bit of head scratching till we worked it out.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:04 pm 

hmmm what was envolved when changing those wires?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:25 pm 

Its not that bad price wise JB, getting everything in one hit is good :) One thing is for sure, get the Zed right and you will enjoy it :lol:

It amuses me though when people start talking about what people will pay for things. Because mostly they exaggerate the price, if you then try and sell at that price, no takers.