Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:41 am 

Hey Wally,

Don't tell me all this Datsun talk from us cranky bastards has caused you to switch to the dark side?? :P

Next thing you'll be trading the Gen 3 for a new Skyline!

Welcome to the nuthouse (although somewhat more civilised than what you might be used to).

I've yet to inquire about the stuff you requested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:22 am 

Wow. The days when a 16.1 was 'raw unadulterated power' !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:40 am 

Warps wrote:
Hey Wally,

Don't tell me all this Datsun talk from us cranky bastards has caused you to switch to the dark side?? :P

Next thing you'll be trading the Gen 3 for a new Skyline!

Welcome to the nuthouse (although somewhat more civilised than what you might be used to).

I've yet to inquire about the stuff you requested.
Hey Warps

I'm coming off the SBF rebuild and mentioned to Marc that a little project for the odd evening might be in order, so he suggested I take an L20b to task. The usual self imposed contraints apply (eg $1200 total budget). This has to be the ugliest engine I have seen in a long while :lol:

Probably end up giving it away when finished.

If you can find that knock sensor I would be most grateful:- apart from sorting out the 6V pulleys this is the last item I need before I shove the lump into the coupe.

Howse the land of the truth and justice treating you ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:19 pm 

Man, how do you find the time? I struggle to get in the shed to even look at the 240K, let alone take on another project (although Harry's 1200 sounds mighty tempting). Good to see you've finally seen the light and given away the CB's :P

I'm sure Marc has given you the low down on these engines - you'll find that they've got enormous potential - they're almost unbreakable.

There's a Ford / Dodge dealer that I drive past on the way home every day - I'll try to stop in there one day. That way I can kill 2 birds - might be able to snag a test drive of a SRT8 Charger, or at the very least, a normal RT 8)

The land of truth and justice? It must be, TV tells me so. It's a great education, I tell you. The wife and kids are loving the experience. Temp was -1 on the way to work today, and it'll only get colder from here on in. It'll help us prepare for Xmas in northern Finland :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:28 pm 

after looking through a few sites (http://automotive.eaton.com/product/eng ... rs/M45.asp and http://www.capa.com.au/eaton_m45data.htm) the mini M45 appears to be a tad different to the ones listed on these sites. is it specically designed for the mini's or what.
also on the CAPA site it states the M45 is for 1-2 litre engines, and on the automotive eaton website says 2-3litres.
is this due to the fact capa is referring to the charger in terms of performance?
and if so, would the M45 be too small for and SR20DE? i fear it will struggle to pump enough air and run out of steam very early, but dont want to compromise the low down advantages of a supercharger.

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:05 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

From what I have been able to determine, the "Mini" M45 is the same "guts" as an Eaton M45, but in a modified housing to better suit fitment to a mini. ie its an Eaton M45 build specifically for BMW :shock: to suit a Mini Cooper S engine.

The strange looking flange you may have noticed on the rear is actually an extension of the driveshaft and is there to drive the engine's water pump on the supercharged mini engines. You'll need to come up with a blanking plate to cover this, or see if it can be removed completely.

By coincidence, there is a Mercedes M45 on eBay.com.au at the moment. Again, it looks different, but I assume is again the same guts, just in another different housing to suit mounting in a merc. This would actually be a better fit for a Datsun 1600, as it has intake and outlet ports on same side, as opposed to the mini which has its air intake at the rear. This will, I feel, make it a bit harder to manufacture air ducting using the mini one as I'll need to bring it out from under the extractors and to the front of the car to get some cool fresh air.Plus, it uses a weird shaped outlet, which will likewise increase the difficulty level in fabricating air ducting to fit here.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Supercharger-Eat ... dZViewItem

As far as what capacity motor these units will fit, my gut feel (and a bit of research :? ) is that 1.6 - 1.8 litre is the "perfect" application if you're after performance (ie higher levels of boost), would probably still be good on 2 litre (maybe running slightly lower boost (10 psi ?, so you don't over-rev the blower). The mercedes one is actually fitted to a 2.3 litre engine.

All the research I've been doing since this post was dragged up again has got me worried that I'm after a bit too much boost out of these little blowers. May have to make a new pulley to drop it down to somewhere closer to 12 psi :?:

Anyway, I've still got months before I need to get serious about settling on final specs for my install :(

One final tip. http://www.sprintex.com.au/ has a handy little excel spreadsheet for calculating various configurations of supercharger. Only problem I've found is that it uses the wrong capacity for the M45, therefore making results wrong :roll: If you use the spreadsheet to get results for the M45, select "Autorotor 0A2076" as the supercharger type instead of M45. This Autorotor has the right capacity (ie is same capcaity as M45) and will therefore give the correct results.

And even more finally, just out of curiosity I plugged a few figures into this spreadsheet. It reckons an M45 should be good for 12 psi on an SR20, assuming the SR20 is revved to 7,000. If you want to rev the SR20 higher, you may have to settle for a bit less boost or you'll risk a blown blower.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:34 am 

less chat now, more action and more pics.

:P

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:00 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Yep, I want action too.

Only problem is that I am determined NOT to start on the engine until I have finished the bodywork.

Gives me something to look forward to as I patch yet another bit of rust :(

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject: eaton s/c
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:30 am 

firstly i am NO expert on this.

but the ppl who built the "bullet" supercar (AEC). told me basically:
Quote:
CAPA site it states the M45 is for 1-2 litre engines, and on the automotive eaton website says 2-3litres.
so basically you can use the whole "this one suits, choose the next size up.
im 90% doing the Eaton M90, but the Opcon (autorotor) units are more efficient, less thermal transfer. ....and this is where u guys all bug Baz for mor info on the Opcen units. hahaha

SR20DET (-T) (+S/C) = fun

my shrinking garage is down to.....
2x 1600s
1x GQ Tray back
1x 300ZX
1x FZR600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:14 am 

Don't get Baz started on the Opcons............. :wink: :wink:

but seriously the Opcon design does have a edge over other sc's.
plus I luv that mat black finish they come in...

1977 P610/180B Wagon Daily Driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:57 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

A cheaper alternative to the Opcon for those on a budget (and willing to do some research :idea: ) might be the blower off the Mazda Eunos miller cycle engine.

I've seen a few of these go for $600 - $700 on eBay.

Same type as the Opcon (twin screw), I'm not sure about the exact thermal efficiency compared to the Opcon but I believe it should be better than an Eaton type blower simply as it compresses the charge internally (ie within the supercharger)

On the downside, they are very long and skinny. Mounting may be an issue.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:47 pm 

yeah i seen a few of these on ebay US, looked difficult to mount however
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supercha ... enameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-mazda ... enameZWDVW
be interesting to see how much they end up selling for.

the M45 sounds about right for what i want, if anything i may move up to the M62, but the M90 i'm thinking would be starting to lose the benefits of a supercharger and having low down grunt.
i probably would go the M62 if they were as cheap and easy to come by as the M45's and 90's.
not sure how much boost a stock SR20DE can take and still be a reliable daily, but with a front mount and WI i'm sure they could handle more than enough to make some good power, and be a hell of alot of fun to drive. one thing i dont want to do is lose the SR's abuility to rev, which the M45 may (or may not) restrict.

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:16 pm 

slightly off topic, but with aftermarket ECU's, is it possible to have two maps set, and to switch between the two, say if i were to run a blower with a clutch, so when its off i could change maps so it wouldnt run like a pig.
just i've seen some eaton blower's off Merc's that have a clutch setup similar to the SC12/14's

The 1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:29 am 

I *think* i've found a heap of M62's, which may be more suitable for what i want, still looking into them though, really depends what boost the SR20DE can take stock with FMIC & WI, as i dont want to restrict its ability to rev. anyway, try searching 'bonneville supercharger' 'gm supercharger' or '3800 supercharger' on ebay US. around 450 us for a reco'd one, some of them make me think it's on an exchange basis though, they arent very clear about it.

dave

The 1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:03 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

There's one on eBay (Australia) at the moment - starting bid $500, or buy it now $750

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady