Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: gauge sender adaptors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:52 pm 

Hi all, I'm in the process of fitting some new gauges, One is mechanical water temp, the "sender" is 5/8 UNF, The logical place to fit it seems to be the thermostat housing.

The housing on my car only has a spot for the factory sender, but scrounging through my garage I found a cruddy old housing with what looks to be a vacuum switch fitted (probably ex bluebird, looks like a plug with 2 vac line nipples hanging off it).

To cut a long story short, anyone know what sort of adaptor (sizes) I would need, the vac switch thingy appears to be roughly M16 in size (but not confirmed).

Also I have a oil temp gauge on order, any ideas on how and where to plumb that to.

all going into a 200B with an L20B (preparing for the blown EFI L18)

rgds and thanks Eddie

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Post subject: Pirtek
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:55 pm 

In the past, I have simply taken the two fittings to Pirtek, and they have had an adaptor to suit....might be worth a try. :D

When the Flag drops........... the Bullshit stops
Go hard or go home!

Post subject: Mech. Gauges
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:26 pm 
Guru

Any good motor accessory outlet should be able to provide the necessary adapter(s) :wink:
The water temp. sender should indeed go into where the old electrical gauge sender was, i.e. the engine side of the thermostat.
The oil temp. sender should be mounted in the engine return line of your oil cooler, or if a cooler is not used, it can be mounted through the centre of your sump drain plug.
If you intend fitting a force fed L18, I would suggest fitting an oil cooler.
Then you can fit a temp sender and a mechanical oil pressure sender to keep tabs on the state of the engine lube system :idea:

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:53 pm 

on my l series i bought an adapter that went were the (factory) electric oil sender goes (near oil filter) that fits both the factory sender and aftermarket
water temp i tried using the hole where that vac thingy went but it was too close in size 2 my sender thread size so i coulndt buy an adaptor :? one of my mates works at a machining shop so i took in the heater fitting thats near cyl 4 and he cut and welded an adaptor in2 that 8) prolly wuld cost about $40