Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:47 am 

g'day,
just wondering if anyone could tell me what the requirments are in victoria for 2 seater rego? as the rear section of my cage might be going to prove a hassle to get in and out so i'm thinking of just leaving it in and going for 2 seater rego.
or alternatively...if i rego'd it as a normal 5 seater, could i remove the back seat and install the rest of the cage at my own leisure?
i assume the cost of the rego's would both be similar.
i've spoke with vicroads also but they were no help.
thanks,
dave

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:25 am 

Hi Dave, not sure about the rules in Victoria, but it may be similar to in Tasmania, so this might help.

You could leave the cross over bars out until the car is registered and then swap them in or out depending on what you are using the car for. It will depend on the person who inspects the car as whether they will classify it as 5,3 (ie allow one person in the back in the middle) or 2 seater, but generally if you have a full roll cage in the car they will opt for a 2 seater.

Yes you can leave the cage out and get it registered as a 5 seater, but really the max amount of people you would want in that car would be 3 anyway, as 4 would be a bit dangerous as the back 2 would be too close to the rear bars. You would probably be ok with a third person in the middle as long as they were restrained ok and could not hit the bars in an accident, but even if you get it registered with more than 2, its the Police who you will have to deal with (and may give you a fine), if they deem it unsafe for any of the occupants.

I could be wrong, so if anyone else has anything to say, feel free.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:37 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I'm in NSW, so the following may not apply to you. Also, its been a few years since mine was registered as a two seater, so again the rules may have changed.

Mine was registered as a two seater, with the appropriate engineer's certificate. Which is all well and good. However, the catch is that I would have needed another engineers certificate to take out the cage and register as a 5-seater again (ie just to put it back to standard).

Depends on what you want to do with the car, just something I came across that you may need to consider.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:34 pm 

hmmm i dont know, maybe 3 seater rego...but i dont really want to have to get engineers each time i remove/add the rear x-brace and chuck the back seat in/out.
and yeah i assume the laws would be very similar to your states. thanks guys.
and is anything else needed besides removal of rear seat? such as a rear firewall? do the door mechanism's need to be modied so doors cannot be opened or anything?
here's some pics...as you can see even with the rear x-brace out not much room for a back seat.
[ img ]
[ img ]

cheers,
dave

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:01 pm 

and also can anyone tell me roughly what it costs to engineer a bolt in cage? so long as its bolted in properly, padded in all the right areas and not obstructing entry/exit or a safety hazard i cant imagine its the sort of thing that'd cost too much.
thanks,
dave

The 1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:28 pm 

Hi Dave, I have a mate who used to work for VicRoads, he reckons there's no difference in the rego for a 2 seater, and the TAC premium is the same too. So I don't think you'll see any difference in regoing it as a 2 seater. Sounds like it might be a bit less messing around too.

Another bonus is that you'll never have to cart around car loads of your mates... =]

Hope this helps.
Greg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:32 pm 

Quote:
Another bonus is that you'll never have to cart around car loads of your mates
haha yeh lowered 1600s dont like having 3 boof heads in the back seat, although it does look pretty cool when your sitting on the bump stops ! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:28 pm 

Will need a firewall if removing rear seats. Pretty sure there are no requirements or need to remove the inner door handles etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:01 pm 
Old Digger

I think you would have to have a rear firewall. As the tank will be exposed to the cabin. My S13 and R32 had to.This was for drag racing though so it might be different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:55 am 

thanks guys.
think i'll just get the car running and rego'd first, perhaps with the cage in just as a 4 point or not in at all, and then install the rest at a later date, seen as though i now have all the mounting holes drilled so its ready to go in anytime.
thanks,
dave

The 1600