Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:20 am 

g'day...
had a few prices on retrimming the rooflining, pillars and sun visors in just the same material. one price was 132 for the roof lining (just the material, not installed or anything) and some extra material so i can cover the sunvisors and do the pillars myself...
but i was thinking seen as though the original linings aint shagged...couldnt i just coat them with that vinyl spray stuff in the pressure pack?
cheers,
dave

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:46 am 

hmm u could dude, but its messy and can be expensive depending on color and the amount of applications u make. but it sounds like it would be cheaper than the re trimmers to i say go for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:52 am 

yeah i was just going to go a couple of pressure packs.
and colour wise...black, same as the rest of the interior!

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:54 am 

i did my visors and hood liner with that vinyl spray,
if u let it dry for a while she is all cool.
looks good too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:31 pm 
Guru

clean it first.
Wipe over with rag lightly dampened with thinners.
Let dry.
Spray the vidye with light coats till fully covered.
Do not use excessive spray as it will look painted, just enough to get full coverage.
works very well.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:53 pm 

Dave,
A couple of rooflinings have poped up on ebay over the last couple of weeks for $99.
Even seen a black one.
Im in the same boat as you, gotta get rid of that ugly smoke ridden roof lining :? .
Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:42 pm 

yeah dan i was keeping an eye on those.
i forgot to bid, but emailed the guy, he's in melbourne too. supertrim i think it was called, in coburg
he wants 132 plus 7.70 freight foe the hoodlining which doesnt include the bows. also comes with enough material to recover the pillars and sunvisors also. dont know if this is a good price or not as i havent been looking around much yet, but for only about 7 bux a can, a few cans of vinyl spray cant hurt.

The 1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:03 pm 

just putting my rooflining back in, and was wondering if anyone has any tips etc? at the moment its not fitting very well (its the original, i just painted it so it should fit)
do the metal rods go into any particular holes or is there 3 there to allow for adjustment? a bit of trial and error required? because i havent had much luck yet. also, any way to get the metal rods to stay 'up' and stop flipping back down, or will that be sorted when the windscreens go back in?
thanks,
dave

The 1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:22 pm 

Hey guys are we all forgetting that i can do 1600 headlinings...

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9251

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8988

Even though i can do it at work i was painting mine in the red 1600 and it was crap... i guess it comes down to what u want

In the end i decided to remove it and have done it in a good quality imitation leather... And im using real sht on all the seats where it counts

I will take some pics soon but for now check out the links and PM me with what you want

I will do great rates for any one on the forums for this stuff, but price will always depend on what u want...

Velour you looking at about $120 Imitation $170 but it really looks good, and these prices will vary if i can get it for a good price from suppliers, it really doesnt make much for me as the velour costs me $40 p/m and i need about 2.5m

I can give you some fitting pointers:

Get your rods in the right order
Center it front and back
Tack it in position with bulldog clips and get it strained right

Use contact adhesive
Pour it in a clean tin
Use a paint brush

Wipe it on both sills and headlining
This stuff needs to be tacky not wet so let them both almost dry

Slowly work your way around fronts and sides making sure its neat and not puckered

*** I cannot stress more that this is one of the worst things to do ***

It sux

I have patterns for 1600 4 door, so it will be ad good as mine :wink:

* Dont forget sill rubbers and window rubbers need to come out with early datsuns, the type of roof is suspended unlike the foam style new car crap ones

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:57 pm 

Sorry guys i didnt realise how old this post was... Anyhow they can be done so PM me

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:42 am 

Painting it actually didnt come up too bad, just gave it a good clean first and then used vht vinyl dye stuff and came up okay! now i'm just doing the fun part of trying to get it in. still no luck. tried heaps of different combinations with the little 3 hole triangles, still cant get it where i want it though :(

The 1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 pm 

Good to hear it came up okay...

I have used that VHT dye before tho, and i found it slowly wears off... onto your clothes if used on seats... it wont chip if you cleaned it up right but you may notice it not liking heat to much and thats where you will have problems :oops:

It is a dye though so it will soak into the vynil without any problems, Its really good to use for old faded carpets and stuff, but you will need to work it into the fibres when its wet with a shoe polish brush or simular

You should have three holes in the roof but the center one which should look used is the one you should use, i think the others are only there for bad fitting headlining kits, as they give you some play between the rods but moving one will offset any others

If your original holes are damaged from old rods... slide some small washers over the rod ends and they will stop the rods from moving further than required into your chassis :wink:

Anyhow ill post some pics of my headlining, i have actually gottn around to gluin it in now, so it will show you how they should look

PS... the rods are not all the same... Always number them when removing a headlinning... If by chance its too late, fit them without the headlining and you should be able so see where they sat... then number them and remove :idea:

When i used the dye it was before i had this job... it was pissin me off paintin it all the time so i got a job where i could piss the old seats off and remake new ones...hehe

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:24 pm 

Sorry dave im having probs postin pics for you but ill try to get them up

Just remember my tips on the earlier reply bout the bull dog clips... it will make tightning and centering easier, and wait till both sides of contact adhesive get tacky then press them together for a few secs

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:50 pm 

Maybe it will work now... :wink:

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Picture 095.jpg [ 27.82 KiB | Viewed 3542 times ]
[ attachment ]
Picture 097.jpg [ 18.19 KiB | Viewed 3544 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:57 pm 

that looks very nice, when i got my car it didn't have roof lining in it, and i find out now that i have to remove the windscreens to fit it, looks like i'm going without rooflining then