Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:07 am 

Is the cam timmed correctly? off a tooth?

put motor on TDC 0 deg and open the valve cover and see if the V notch on the Cam sprocket is right under the dash on the backing plate looking thru the sprocket.

Valve lash correct?

Attachments:
File comment: this is a retarded cam sprocket
[ attachment ]
HPIM0307 (2).JPG [ 61.63 KiB | Viewed 797 times ]
File comment: This is set to #1 butr would b similar if using #2 or # 3 cam dowel setting
Notice V notch in white line up with dash in yellow
[ attachment ]
HPIM0306 (2).JPG [ 54.07 KiB | Viewed 802 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:49 am 

Hey guys can't reply a post till tomorrow evening now, will check the valve timing then, pretty sure its ok but ill double check it.

Daniel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:45 am 

If car starts and has a basic idle the gaskets are ok and tite.
Maybe ck to see if intake to head tite also.

Most DGVs that I have seen never go bad. mostly just leaky gaskets.

stock fuel pumps are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:45 am 

Ok so i put the stock carby back on and it still ran like a lawn mower (only cyl 1 and 4 firing) so obviously ignition problem. I fidled around with the distributor for ages and all of a sudden it started running on all for again.

I dont know what i did but it worked...

Put the weber back on and played with the jets, i took some jets out of a 34ADM i have lying around and put a 160 air jet in primary, 140 fuel in primary, 165 in the secondary air, 135 in secondary fuel, the power valve at 50, primary idle at 50, secondary idle with 55 and i left the e-tubes because i dunno wat they are.

Some were already in the carby, i think i only put one jet from the adm in after trial and error with the jets.

I got it to ran pretty damn well. Now its not running rich at all. It does feel a little lean though, both primary and secondary throttle. and when you stamp your foot on the throttle at idle the whole engine lags, almost stalls and then picks up.

Do you think this could be the power valve being to small? What sort of jets would you guys/gals recommend i use in this carby, remember:

Rebuilt Stock L20B, 20 thou overbore.
Slightly shaved Recon W53 Head.
Running on ULP

And where could i buy jets and gaskets etc for this carby at a resonably good price in SA?

Cheers for all the help on this subject, i hope it stays running good.

Now for a completely diiferent problem.

Steering: Once i put the weber back on i went for a drive around my property and all of a sudden my steering got extremely hard, like very hard. So i thought somethings not right here. So i got out and the tyres are ok, the wheels all look normal, steering rack looks normal.

Now i did change the front pads and havn't bled the brakes yet (no i havn't been driving it on the road) but that shouldn't affect the steering.

The very weird thing is it comes and goes, all i know something is very wrong.

Once again thanks for all the help.

datto_1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:58 am 

Weber 32/36s you dont stomp on the pedal cause there will be a lag as the 2nd barrel opens too soon. There might not be enought vacuum (RPMs). Better is gradually increase it to get the carb to work best. Stcok this doesnt happen cause its a vaccum secondary

ck to make sure the accel pump works. Look inside main barrel and cycle the carb linkage. See if you see gas squirting in there. If yes then assume its good.
50 is ok on the idle jet as for size maybe 55-60 but I never notice a BIG difference myself when swapping them on my L16s.

As for the streering proplem its the left turn signal lead in the rear end!
No just kidding

Look at the streering box and see that nut with the slot in there. Maybe its loose or too tight down. adjust this. Loosen the Jam nut then turn the slot then tighten the jam nut. I adjusted mine were its slightly loose. If it doesnt work the box might be bad. The newer Stanza in Austrailia is a upgrade box that will fit if you cant find a 510 box.
But ck the obvious other stuff first also. But the 510 steering is pretty simple.

also do you have points or electric dist. Ck the ground on the dist.

as for 1 and 4 firing I think it would be FIRE order. But it it works sometimes then it has to be elelctrical ground or bad plug wires ,spark plugs electrodes. If anything was changed ,tell us!! Different coil or upgraded from points to elelctric dist.

Hainz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:12 am 

Hey there again, i should make myself more clearer. When i said i stomp my foot on the pedal and it lags i mean it really lags. I do realise that it will lag a bit, but it shouldn't be as bad as what it is. I also tried gradually increasing revs and the flat spot is around 1500 - 2500 rpm.

My bluebird has a rack and pinion steering setup, not steering box. So i've got no idea wat is causing this steering problem.

I have points (Hitachi Dist)

What do you mean by "check the ground on dist".

I know i've got the firing order setup correctly 1-3-4-2.

The distributor turns anti clockwise and No. 1 cyl HT lead is at the very front of the distributor.

See Pic. Aint good but im sure you get the idea.

I've got New plugs, points, rotor, dizzy cap and reasonably new leads.

All leads work fine, tested their resistance - all about 7kOhms.

I swapped everything in that list back to my old stuff and still had the problem, so i put the new back in and i just somehow got all for to fire eventually.

Cheers, Daniel.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
untitled.JPG [ 12.18 KiB | Viewed 771 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:35 am 

I dont know why 1 & 4 are the only ones to fire

all I can think of next is if your oil pump was installed off a tooth. But you know if it was or not. If your car ran ok before this happened then I dont think its the oil pump.Unless you changed it and not telling us

Make sure condensor is grounded good(corrosion on dist). If it didnt happen untill you changed the points then bad cap maybe was installed.

Also ck to see if the dist shaft has a wiggle from side to side causing points to open up. Thats bushing wear. Most likely it will cut out if bad or cap is bad.

But ck to see if gas is squirting on the main carb barrel as you cycle the carb linkage. Sometimes the linkage on the side of carb that pushes the diaphrame on the side of the carb gets stuck in the IN mode and dont release so you not squirting fuel IN. WD40!!!!!!!

Gap points and TIME the motor againusing a timming light.
If dual point dist(USA 70-73) only use the main points. this eliminates some timming and dwell proplems.

Alternator charging OK?

This happen to me once where a tiny rock was stuck in the main fuel jet on the bottom of my 32/36 Weber fuel bowl. It felt like I was running out of gas. I wired my choke back to get more gas going thru the 2nd barrel. Thats how I got home.

Attachments:
File comment: Timmed oil pump dist drive @ TDC 0 deg on crank pully. the Famous 11.28 O clock position.
[ attachment ]
HPIM0236.JPG [ 31.52 KiB | Viewed 768 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:32 pm 

The alternator is charging as far as im concerned.

I did install the oil pump shaft 180 degrees out but swaped the dist cam 180 back to compensate. The shaft does have wiggle as well, but i used this dist before and it worked fine. So im not sure whats happening there.

Single points, not dual.

Maybe i installed the pump off a tooth, ill check it once im back at my mums place. (Saturday)

Any ideas on the steering.

Daniel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:28 am 

Look at my dist shaft photo. Notice the 11.28 posistion.

See photo
as for the dist being out 180 all you had to do was move the spark plug wires out 180degs. Meaning just move the plug wires instead of anything else.MOve 1 to 4 and start over 1 3 4 2 CCW fire order
But maybe you put the dist mount on 180 off (the mount that goes on the front cover?) Where was the 10mm head in front or back? Can you remember? Long as its in the 11.28 pos on TDC compression stroke then slip the dist on and where it points will be #1 plug.

also under the dist there is a 8mm head bolt that can be loosened to get more adj on the timming besides the 10mm head bolt that holds down the dist.

But if you can get it timmed say to 0-20 degs with a timming light I will assume its timmed OK.

I haven got a clue on the Rack and Pinion.

Attachments:
File comment: How to time installed oil pump

Also add oil(prime pump so it dont suck AIR
[ attachment ]
HPIM0263.JPG [ 50.48 KiB | Viewed 748 times ]
File comment: Maybe this was installed on the front cover 180 off
[ attachment ]
HPIM0264.JPG [ 41.55 KiB | Viewed 749 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:49 pm 

Hello there, i know i installed the dist drive 180 out but it had the 11.28 position, checked it with the engine manual, just forgot that they go in a certain way. So i just reveresed the cam 180. Seems to work good.

I have the hitachi dist, so it has 2 10mm bolts supporting it to the engine via an adapter plate. I think it can only go in one way. I know that its in right, the timing marks face towards front of vehicle.

I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them tomorrow night of the dist ect.

Daniel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:01 pm 

my head is spinning here... :!:

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:51 pm 

Hey there guys. sorry i havnt posted in a few days, been busy. Checked the the dist shaft timing last night. Made sure that the engine was at TDC compression stroke. And it came up to be 11.28 mark, but to my surprise it looks like i've installed the thing correctly. I thought that i might be on TDC for no 4 cyl, so i checked with the dizzy and it said that i was at TDC for no 1.

But that is very odd, because if i did install it correctly and then i reversed the cam lobe 180 and its now running on all 4.

Very weird.

Can't post pictures atm, too big. Will take some lower res ones and post later this evening.

daniel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:17 am 

Hey guys, sorry its taken me a few days to get these photos up. Been busy.

Here they are.

If u would like nemore let me know what of etc.

Attachments:
File comment: The engine... I know its a messy engine bay. Its a get around car :P
[ attachment ]
SA400530.JPG [ 105.29 KiB | Viewed 723 times ]
File comment: The dizzy...
[ attachment ]
SA400520.JPG [ 71.08 KiB | Viewed 723 times ]
File comment: The dizzy...
[ attachment ]
SA400519.JPG [ 98.19 KiB | Viewed 722 times ]