Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: better sttering
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:42 pm 

Guys

I was wondering what people do when upgrading their steering boxes in their 1600s. I was thinking of getting the whole 200b column with stalks etc and was not sure if getting the 200b box aswell would be best.

I was after a box with a better lower ratio for better turning etc some people have said 120y or maybe 180b.

Does anyone actually know which car would offer a better ratio and maybe the more modern box.

If I have to reco then i will, no big deal etc

cheers all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:53 pm 
Guru

200B column with early 180B steering box 3.2 turns lock to lock, Thats the three bolts on the top plate, later boxes are 3.7 turns.
The lower plate that bolts to the floor will need reshaping & the bracket that bolts under the dash needs attention as well. The switches will need rewiring to suit the 1600 harness. Well worth the trouble.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Post subject: Recirculating balls.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:09 pm 
Guru

I recently went through the exercise of rebuilding my steering mechanics.
1) I adjusted all backlash from the steering box.
2) I replaced the inner and outer balljoints with 555 brand.
3) I fitted a Maddat steering box brace.
4) I replaced the steering idler and fitted new poly bushes to it.
What a difference :!:
It took me back to early 1971 when the car was new.
Steering is light, accurate, no dead zone at centre position.
Unless you desperately want a lower ratio than 4 turns L-L the stock setup can be made to perform like new.
:idea: Now as far as the column combination switches are concerned, the 200B setup can be fairly easily adapted to the 1600.
Email me if you want some pics and/or wiring info.

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:31 pm 

guys

thanx for the reply

so you used a 200b column and switches etc?

what box did you use? the standard 1600 one and just got it recoed?

cheers

Post subject: Tonka Tuff
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:00 am 
Guru

Used 200B combination switches and shroud so now everything is on column stalks. Email me if you want any more details, pics. etc.
The steering column and box is the original, never been reconditioned, just adjusted with the screw adjuster to remove any backlash.
The car has done over 169,000 MILES since I bought it new in 1/71.
Been over to Perth and back in '72 and up to Darwin and back in '74.
They weren't roads then, they were goat tracks :!:
So I reckon the steering box doesn't owe me anything and it is still going strong :wink:

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:19 am 

cheers mate

I have a spear column at the moment which means i need to replace it and the box.

I figured if i was going to do this i'd look at what options are out there and what offers the best ratios, seems 200b column and box would be easiest etc

cheers

Post subject: stuff
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:25 am 

baz

with the 180b box, what is the best way to identify it at a wreckers?

I know you said the 3 bolts on top but i am pretty sure my old style spear 1600 box has three bolts too. Any other way to identify it?

So grab the 200b column with comb switches, shroud and wiring harnesses and the 180b box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm 

Graeme, I recently took my car to the 1600 workshop and they swore by the MadDat streering box brace... I am thinking of getting one and am curious to know you feedback???
Also thank you very much for you amazing help with the 200B indicator cluster... Much appreciated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:28 pm 

you'd wanna hope so as they are maddat distributors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:40 pm 
Guru

The 180B box you need looks the same as your spear column without the long shaft.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:21 pm 
Guru

As far as steering box braces are concerned the maker is by the by, the design is simple and very similar across the board.
I have found the result to be excellent :wink:
Although I re-built several items at once, I know from the design that the brace reduces flex of the steering box when rocking the steering wheel either at low speed or racing speed.
As the famous Baz once said, look at the box while someone else rocks the steering wheel and you will see what the design problem is with the standard box.
The forces at work on the steering mechanism are considerable and anything that gives a measure of rigidity to all this can only be good.
The 180B box is essentially a carry over from the 1600 model and according to my 180B Manual, the '72-'77 models had a ratio of 3.3 turns L-L and had 3 bolts on the top, 2 securing the top cover to the box proper.
When you said you wanted to upgrade your steering I didn't realise you had the Zulu spear type column :cry:
By all means convert to a collapsible setup.

graemes@internode.on.net

Last edited by Nissanman on Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: stuff
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:29 pm 

yeah sorry I should have made that clearer :)

so it seems like the 200b column and 200b switches are the best option along with an earlier model 180b steering box.

If i use this column do i need to mod the shroud very much to fit up?

I understand i will need to redrill the mounting holes for the upper support bracket and cut the lower rubber mount in the firewall to fit, no big dramas there i hope.

Any idea how much a box is to reco? If it i needed that is.

cheers guys

ps scottie, based on the quality of other datport parts I have bough I would grab one of his steering box braces, I know i will down the track

Post subject: More steering info.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:59 pm 
Guru

The combination switch needs boring out to fit over the 1600 column, but if you are going to fit the 200B column, problem solvered :wink:
The 200B shroud needed approx 10-15mm trimmed from the rear of the upper 1/2 to allow it to sit further towards the instrument panel.
Not hard to do but, once again, this was using the collapsible '71 1600 column, the 200B hardware may sit closer/farther out, I don't know.
You'll just have to suck it and see on that one :?
No idea on reco. costs but I'm suggesting a fresh dose of oil and a little backlash adjustment and it will be OK for another x years :wink:

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject: Slander
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:43 pm 
Hey NISSANMAN Where do you get off slandering Baz. You should check your dictionary. Baz has won a couple off state rally championships beating Lowe & ED Ordyndki, won heaps in a round Australia trial and many speedway Titles. He did most of the ground work on 1600 rally cars in the 70s was quick enough to beat a BDA with a L20B. How can you call him infamous? Famous is more like it. You owe him an apology. Baz supplied me one of his first steering supports for my rally car & improved the steering out if sight, absolutely awsome. Steering braces are NOT all the same. Bazzas brace is much stronger than the maddat one. maddats is a TRACED COPY of the bottom part of the DATSPORT brace. So the maddat one is really a Datsport brace and only the easy to copy part. Give credit where its due after all Baz designed the brace & not BADDAT COPYSPORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:51 pm 
Guru

Lighten up you guys, I am not slandering anyone. :o
I'm well aware of Barrys automotive achievements, but we also joke around a bit when we see each other. :lol:
It is always your choice as to what part you buy where, I'm just trying to help the forum from what I have had experience with.
As an aside, Barry has imitated a few of my designs, but I took that as a compliment, no point in getting shirty.
We often chew the fat over the design of various improvements, and I'm sure if I have offended him HE would soon let me know.
Unless these items are patented there is little anyone can do about a business or individual re-producing the part(s).

graemes@internode.on.net

Last edited by Nissanman on Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.